Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

The Denver Post looks at Willy Taveras as a lock to be non-tendered after a proposed deal with the Nationals fell apart.
    It figured that the Rockies would be able to trade Taveras, but nothing has materialized. He'll be a lot more popular as a free agent, and we could see him ending up as the Reds' center fielder and leadoff hitter.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Yeah I saw that but I'd prefer to think that Walt won't go that way.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Taveras, a right-handed hitter, actually has better career splits against RHP (.287/.334/.336) than LHP (.271/.322/.340), so a platoon with Dickerson should be out of the question. With Dusty's recent comments, I am confident he would play Taveras full time in CF in favor of Dickerson and bat him leadoff. I am just hopeful Jocketty doesn't think much of Taveras's defense...

I want absolutely no part of Willy Taveras as a starter. I will say this though, I prefer Taveras over Norris Hopper. I don't like either of them as a player but if had to choose one of the two, I'd take Taveras since he's a better defender and has more speed.

Make it stop!

I read the Taveras deal with Washington fell apart because one of the players failed their physical.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I want absolutely no part of Willy Taveras as a starter. I will say this though, I prefer Taveras over Norris Hopper. I don't like either of them as a player but if had to choose one of the two, I'd take Taveras since he's a better defender and has more speed.
    In a comparison, I'd rather have Taveras than Hopper too - as a defensive backup CF - but Dusty would put him in CF and lead him off for 4mos.

Just say no to both!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I read the Taveras deal with Washington fell apart because one of the players failed their physical.
    Go get him Leatherboy!

I think the Reds will end up getting a CF before the off-season is done. I'm just not sure who it will be at this point.

You had to figure that once Freel was dealt that Uncle Walt had a centerfielder in mind that he was looking to acquire. I think if he can get the Rockies to pick up the majority of Taveras' contract, they will give up a prospect or two.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

What a horrible idea this would be...

only bright spot is that it would hasten Dusty's eventual firing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What a horrible idea this would be...

only bright spot is that it would hasten Dusty's eventual firing.

Supposedly that Taveras for Redding deal is back on.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I want no part of Taveras, he is a shinier version of Cory Patterson, rather that act doent have a sequel quite frankly.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Code:
    YEAR	NAME	        AGE  PA    EqA	 OBP  SLG  VORP	 RAR  RAP   OUTR   SB  CS  SB%      
    2008	Willy Taveras	26   538  .238	.308 .296   2.0	 4.2 -19.2 .67658  68   7  90.7%    
    2007	Willy Taveras	25   408  .261	.367 .382  16.4	12.5  -1.8 .62745  33   9  78.6%
    My usual assortment of numbers with a couple of new ones thrown in.

I added OUTR, or Batting Outs per Plate Appearance. Pretty self-explanatory.

Also have the stolen base and caught stealing numbers. Figured we might as well look at them since you know The Dusty is drooling over "speed at the top of the order".

Here's a blurb from BP about WT in 2007. Does nothing to inspire confidence.

He hits enough singles to give him a little bit of a batting average, and of course he`s a fast runner, but as a regular, Taveras is something of a disaster. He has no power and little patience, and his occasional stolen bases do nothing to make up for that. Putting him in the everyday lineup and batting him leadoff or second, thereby giving him a higher percentage of the team`s plate appearances, is just doing the opposing pitcher`s work for him. Taveras`s speed does make him a plus defender, something that will help cover the gaps at Coors, but he won`t provide the Rockies with a top-of-the-order hitter any better-equipped to help them than Juan Pierre was.
    If a Glock was too my head and the choice was Juan Pierre or Willy Taveras I suppose I'd go with Taveras. Then again, I might go for the .40S&W slug instead of either.

With Taveras's speed and his position of choice, it virtually guarantees 350 to 400 PA's at leadoff atop The Dusty's lineup. If he is impatient and repeats his 2008 OBP performance he will be another disaster and will soak up untold leadoff PA's until late July as the Reds sink deeper and deeper in the standings.

If he can find a way to ignore The Dusty's insistence that swinging at everything is somehow a good idea, and achieve the 2007 style of OBP then we might have something. Actually, if there were someway to guarentee he could reproduce 2007 in 2009 I'd be pretty jazzed to take the leadoff spot from minus a bazallion VORP from last year to what Taveras would produce.

2006 he put up .333 OBP and OUTR of .66 and in 2005 his OBP was .325 and OUTR of .659. You may scoff of my bowing at the alter of OBP for these two years, but for a guy you can bet the farm is going to lead off, getting on base is all I care about. Neither of those two years is overly impressive.

Unfortunately, with The Dusty at the helm, Taveras is likely to be managed to a lower OBP and thus be ineffective at the plate.

His speed is nice on the base paths. While the stolen base isn't the weapon it once was, the Reds should be employing speed more often than they have.

In the field his speed could be handy. While Patterson was abysmal at the plate, it was nice to have someone patrolling centerfield who can actually track and catch a fly ball.

While I'd rather have Taveras over the dreaded misery that is Juan Pierre, I'd also rather have my 84 year old grandmother in centerfield rather than Juan Pierre. But, in general, I'd rather have a better option than Taveras.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-11-2008 at 07:12 AM.

There are conflicting reports about the Reds' interest in Willy Taveras. The Rocky Mountain News said the Reds don't want Taveras because of his low OBP, but Ken Rosenthal said that the Reds have interest.

Both of these reports came shortly after the Matt Holliday trade, so maybe a lot has changed since then. Maybe Jocketty is interested in Taveras but is pretending not to be in order to lower Taveras' value. However, Jocketty is known for being open about sabermetrics, and I'm sure he realizes how important OBP is, so I think Rosenthal is just wrong about his report.

Turn Off Ads?