Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Winter Meetings

2008 Winter Meetings

The Winter Meetings don't begin until Monday, December 8th and run through Thursday, December 11th, but it's never too early to begin the discussion since we'll probably be hearing plenty of rumors this week. I was just curious, what do you guys expect to happen during the Winter Meetings? Will the Reds make any deals? I'd be very surprised if Jocketty doesn't make a trade during the meetings, whether it be for Jermaine Dye or one of the Texas catchers or maybe for a shortstop.

Just looking at Jocketty's history, he's made quite a few big trades during the Winter Meetings. In 1998, he acquired Edgar Renteria from the Marlins in a four-player deal. During the 2003 meetings, he sent J.D. Drew and Eli Marrero to the Braves for Adam Wainwright and Jason Marquis. Just after the meeting ended in 2004, he traded Dan Haren, Daric Barton, and Kiki Calero to the A's for Mark Mulder. I expect that trend to continue - I have a feeling we'll see at least one big trade. If I had to guess, I'd say it will involve Jermaine Dye.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 Winter Meetings

After Holliday left the market I think the Reds have pegged Dye as the best bat to go after so I expect that deal to get done. I'd also expect another catcher to appear on the Reds roster after next week. I'm less confident that Walt will find his 0-3 SS, or at least less cofident that it'll be someone better than Janish. There will be a ton of smoke and rumors this year, just watching the whole thing, not just the Reds will be exciting.

I think I've decided that I'm pro-Dye as long as he is part of a larger vision for the team. If the Reds just get Dye, I will be royally ticked off.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I still like the idea of acquiring Adrian Beltre and shifting EdE to left field, but I wouldn't mind acquiring Dye as long as long as it's a precursor to other moves. I just don't think I wanna give up Homer Bailey for Dye, though. But again, if it's a precursor to other moves then I'm fine with acquiring Dye. The next move should be to find a rangy, slick fielding shortstop and another catcher to pair with Ryan Hanigan. Erick Aybar could be a solid target for SS.

Apparently the Reds have interest in Oliver Perez. I like Perez, but he's probably going to be fairly expensive. I'd rather target a cheaper lefty like Randy Wolf. I'd also focus on acquiring another lefty for the pen... someone like a Will Ohman, Joe Beimel, or Arthur Rhodes.

all we hear about this offseason has been about adding vets.

but so far, Walt's only done sell-offs, so far. Plus accumulated a draft pick or two, and signed some very very young players.

any chance that the Reds will stick with that plan, and try to get even younger this week?

(I'm guessing no-- unless you consider adding a guy for a year before his contract expires and you get a couple of draft picks for him)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I still like the idea of acquiring Adrian Beltre and shifting EdE to left field, but I wouldn't mind acquiring Dye as long as long as it's a precursor to other moves. I just don't think I wanna give up Homer Bailey for Dye, though. But again, if it's a precursor to other moves then I'm fine with acquiring Dye. The next move should be to find a rangy, slick fielding shortstop and another catcher to pair with Ryan Hanigan. Erick Aybar could be a solid target for SS.

Apparently the Reds have interest in Oliver Perez. I like Perez, but he's probably going to be fairly expensive. I'd rather target a cheaper lefty like Randy Wolf. I'd also focus on acquiring another lefty for the pen... someone like a Will Ohman, Joe Beimel, or Arthur Rhodes.
    Yes, I agree. I guess I was just assuming Beltre isn't going to happen. You never know though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't think that Walt will make a move just to make a move and it'snot a given that there will be a deal next week, but I think some thing big is much more likely,

I've got a suspicion that if all the stars align, we could be in for a big s'plosion. I think the deal for Dye goes down as well as at least one other for a catcher and orSS. I'm also coming around to the belief that the Reds make at least one sizeable FA signing (probably a starter allowing Arroyo to be dealt. I could also see them signing a LH bullpen arm and a bat for thhe bench by the time ST rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think I've decided that I'm pro-Dye as long as he is part of a larger vision for the team. If the Reds just get Dye, I will be royally ticked off.
    Have to agree. I was happy that they got Cordero last off-season, then viewed him as a colossal waste of money when they did nothing else.

I would view Dye in the same manner, but on a lesser scale since he isn't coming with a 4 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If the Reds only acquire one player this offseason, everybody will be ticked off.

I expect a fun off-season, but as far as the winter meetings....

I expect David Weathers to sign somewhere else - giving us a draft pick
    I expect WJ to sign a veteran reliever (or 2)
    I expect the Reds to complete the Dye trade (or another RH bat of some sort)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Have to agree. I was happy that they got Cordero last off-season, then viewed him as a colossal waste of money when they did nothing else.

I would view Dye in the same manner, but on a lesser scale since he isn't coming with a 4 year contract.
    Plus, I think you could argue that a middle-of-the-order hitter is a better investment for $11 million than a closer. They are both big moves, but you are less likely to regret the former. Closers are much easier to come by than hitters like Dye.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If the Reds only acquire one player this offseason, everybody will be ticked off.
    I will also be ticked off if they only acquire Dye and some LH bullpen help. If Dye is in the picture, they also need to make a move to shore up the IF defense and the leadoff spot. Otherwise, it is a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

The problem with signing Oliver Perez (other than the cost) is he'd likely come out for the third or fourth game of the season and pitch a gem that illustrates exactly why you decided to sign him and then procede to go on a month or two display of why you never should have considered it.

I wouldn't mind it if Jocketty came back from the Winter Meetings with Jermaine Dye, Khalil Greene, and a bullpen lefty like Dennys Reyes. I'd also look into a cheap signing like an Emil Brown (.805 OPS vs LHP last three years) for the bench. Or maybe a Gabe Kapler. I'd also look into Randy Wolf but he may be too expensive.

CF Chris Dickerson
    2B Brandon Phillips
    RF Jay Bruce
    LF Jermaine Dye
    1B Joey Votto
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    SS Khalil Greene
    C Ryan Hanigan/backup

Bench:

Jeff Keppinger/Adam Rosales
    Backup catcher
    Danny Dorn (possible LH bat off the bench if he has a strong ST?)
    Ryan Freel
    Emil Brown/Gabe Kapler

Edinson Volquez
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto
    Micah Owings

Francisco Cordero
    Jared Burton
    Bill Bray
    Dennys Reyes
    Josh Roenicke
    Ramon Ramirez
    Mike Lincoln/Carlos Fisher

Where on earth did the beltre scenario come from? Is this documented in anything other than redszone wishful thinking? Was it an actual rumor in the press or blog or something? I see this mentioned everywhere but have never seen anything substantial to back it up.

And forgive me for sounding lost or dumb, but I haven't been able to keep up as closely as normal, but what does eveyone mean by walt's 0-3 shortstop? What am I missing?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?