Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

The Denver Post looks at Willy Taveras as a lock to be non-tendered after a proposed deal with the Nationals fell apart.
    It figured that the Rockies would be able to trade Taveras, but nothing has materialized. He'll be a lot more popular as a free agent, and we could see him ending up as the Reds' center fielder and leadoff hitter.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Yeah I saw that but I'd prefer to think that Walt won't go that way.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I want absolutely no part of Willy Taveras as a starter. I will say this though, I prefer Taveras over Norris Hopper. I don't like either of them as a player but if had to choose one of the two, I'd take Taveras since he's a better defender and has more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I want absolutely no part of Willy Taveras as a starter. I will say this though, I prefer Taveras over Norris Hopper. I don't like either of them as a player but if had to choose one of the two, I'd take Taveras since he's a better defender and has more speed.
    In a comparison, I'd rather have Taveras than Hopper too - as a defensive backup CF - but Dusty would put him in CF and lead him off for 4mos.

Just say no to both!

Taveras, a right-handed hitter, actually has better career splits against RHP (.287/.334/.336) than LHP (.271/.322/.340), so a platoon with Dickerson should be out of the question. With Dusty's recent comments, I am confident he would play Taveras full time in CF in favor of Dickerson and bat him leadoff. I am just hopeful Jocketty doesn't think much of Taveras's defense...

Make it stop!

I read the Taveras deal with Washington fell apart because one of the players failed their physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I read the Taveras deal with Washington fell apart because one of the players failed their physical.
    Go get him Leatherboy!

I think the Reds will end up getting a CF before the off-season is done. I'm just not sure who it will be at this point.

You had to figure that once Freel was dealt that Uncle Walt had a centerfielder in mind that he was looking to acquire. I think if he can get the Rockies to pick up the majority of Taveras' contract, they will give up a prospect or two.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    You had to figure that once Freel was dealt that Uncle Walt had a centerfielder in mind that he was looking to acquire. I think if he can get the Rockies to pick up the majority of Taveras' contract, they will give up a prospect or two.
    If Tavaras gets non-tendered, the Reds can try to sign them at their price.

Would people be upset with Tavaras on a one year year at maybe 3 million?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If Tavaras gets non-tendered, the Reds can try to sign them at their price.

Would people be upset with Tavaras on a one year year at maybe 3 million?
    Maybe more like $1mil and some sort of binding contract with The Dusty to never mention 'be agressive' within earshot of Willy. I'd room him with Votto and make job one with the hitting coach to work with Willy on plate discipline/working the count.

I could live with that as long as its a true platoon.

I don't have much faith that The Dusty would live up to his end of the bargin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Maybe more like $1mil
    IMO, the difference between giving him 1 million and 3 million isn't likely going to hamper the Reds that much. I think Patterson got approximately 2 million last year.

Heck, Freel was due to make around 5 million. I wouldn't give Tavaraz that much, but I'd give him 3 million for OF depth.

I do agree, Tavarez would have to win a job vs Dickerson based on merit.

The nice thing about signing Taveraz, is now your worse case OF (no other moves made) is Dickerson in LF, Taverez in CF, and Bruce in RF. At bare minimum, you've got a very strong defensive OF there. Ideally, you'd want some more offense out there, but at least it's an upgrade. If Walt later adds a LF, you can have Dickerson and Tavarez battle it out for CF and end up with a pretty good 4th OF on the bench.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

What a horrible idea this would be...

only bright spot is that it would hasten Dusty's eventual firing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What a horrible idea this would be...

only bright spot is that it would hasten Dusty's eventual firing.

Supposedly that Taveras for Redding deal is back on.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?