Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Re: Rotoworld predicts Willy Taveras as Reds CFer, leadoff hitter

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    You had to figure that once Freel was dealt that Uncle Walt had a centerfielder in mind that he was looking to acquire. I think if he can get the Rockies to pick up the majority of Taveras' contract, they will give up a prospect or two.
    If Tavaras gets non-tendered, the Reds can try to sign them at their price.

Would people be upset with Tavaras on a one year year at maybe 3 million?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

If it was Wayne Krvisky, I'd be worried.

Jocketty, not so.

If Tavares showed up, I would venture that it would be on the cheap and Chris Dickerson would beat him out.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If Tavaras gets non-tendered, the Reds can try to sign them at their price.

Would people be upset with Tavaras on a one year year at maybe 3 million?
    Maybe more like $1mil and some sort of binding contract with The Dusty to never mention 'be agressive' within earshot of Willy. I'd room him with Votto and make job one with the hitting coach to work with Willy on plate discipline/working the count.

I could live with that as long as its a true platoon.

I don't have much faith that The Dusty would live up to his end of the bargin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Maybe more like $1mil
    IMO, the difference between giving him 1 million and 3 million isn't likely going to hamper the Reds that much. I think Patterson got approximately 2 million last year.

Heck, Freel was due to make around 5 million. I wouldn't give Tavaraz that much, but I'd give him 3 million for OF depth.

I do agree, Tavarez would have to win a job vs Dickerson based on merit.

The nice thing about signing Taveraz, is now your worse case OF (no other moves made) is Dickerson in LF, Taverez in CF, and Bruce in RF. At bare minimum, you've got a very strong defensive OF there. Ideally, you'd want some more offense out there, but at least it's an upgrade. If Walt later adds a LF, you can have Dickerson and Tavarez battle it out for CF and end up with a pretty good 4th OF on the bench.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

IMO, the difference between giving him 1 million and 3 million isn't likely going to hamper the Reds that much. I think Patterson got approximately 2 million last year.

Heck, Freel was due to make around 5 million. I wouldn't give Tavaraz that much, but I'd give him 3 million for OF depth.

The nice thing about signing Taveraz, is now your worse case OF (no other moves made) is Dickerson in LF, Taverez in CF, and Bruce in RF. At bare minimum, you've got a very strong defensive OF there. Ideally, you'd want some more offense out there, but at least it's an upgrade. If Walt later adds a LF, you can have Dickerson and Tavarez battle it out for CF and end up with a pretty good 4th OF on the bench.
    I think RedsZone's biggest worry about acquiring Tavares is how Dusty Baker would use him. Odds are, because he's a speedy center fielder with a history of success (in the uneducated fans' eyes), he would probably lead off, despite being the most likely player to lead the team in outs.

If Tavarez is on the roster, Dusty will play him no matter what Dickerson does in Spring Training.

Best way to stop that is to not put Tavarez on the roster.

High five!

Well, the question is, could that $3mm improve the Reds more if used elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, the question is, could that $3mm improve the Reds more if used elsewhere?
    The Reds are incredibly thin in the outfield. They have Jay Bruce. They have Chris Dickerson. They have Norris Hopper. That is it.

So, the $3mm -- probably closer to $10 million -- needs to be spent to get some outfielders.

I don't know what is meant by "elsewhere" but be sure it will mostly go to outfielders.

My guess is Hairston is plan A for another centerfielder. If he doesn't sign, then they may look at someone like Taveras, if he's still available. They probably have others in mind as well.

In addition, they will likely add a starting left fielder. And maybe they will add another backup, not sure they view Hopper as a sure thing to be on the squad.

So as many as three outfielders could be acquired between now and spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If Tavarez is on the roster, Dusty will play him no matter what Dickerson does in Spring Training.

Best way to stop that is to not put Tavarez on the roster.
    Another way to stop it is to educate Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Another way to stop it is to educate Baker.

Sure. We'll just e-mail him and tell him that players with low OBPs shouldn't lead off even if they are fast and play CF. Problem solved.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Taveres might make sense in a huge CF(which Coors is). GABP is anything but that and if Taveres doesn't make sense as an everyday player for the Rockies then he does not anywhere else. A 600 OPS playing 81 Coors Field boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Taveres might make sense in a huge CF(which Coors is). GABP is anything but that and if Taveres doesn't make sense as an everyday player for the Rockies then he does not anywhere else. A 600 OPS playing 81 Coors Field boggles the mind.
    I would be more concerned about Taveres and his OBP rather than his OPS. As a leadoff hitter his job would be to get on base not hit the ball out of the park. Im not saying that his OBP is anything to write home about just the way I would judge a speedy leadoff CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sure. We'll just e-mail him and tell him that players with low OBPs shouldn't lead off even if they are fast and play CF. Problem solved.
    No, that's Jocketty's job.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think RedsZone's biggest worry about acquiring Tavares is how Dusty Baker would use him. Odds are, because he's a speedy center fielder with a history of success (in the uneducated fans' eyes), he would probably lead off, despite being the most likely player to lead the team in outs.
    This is exactly what it is.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No, no, no...you have to get HANK AARON to E-mail him and tell him that. Apparently, that's the only person Dusty listens to.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?