Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds to lose Terrell Young in Rule 5 Draft...

Reds to lose Terrell Young in Rule 5 Draft...

Or so the rumor goes:

Rule 5 top pick
    MLB.com has learned that the Washington Nationals will take RHP Terrell Young from the Reds organization with the first pick of the Rule 5 Draft today. Young was a 10th round pick in the 2004 draft. He's got a big arm who had a very good second half in 2008. He's very athletic and competitive on the mound and has three above-average pitches.
    This was posted on the Hot Stove blogs on MLB.com.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to lose Terrell Young in Rule 5 Draft...

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Or so the rumor goes:

This was posted on the Hot Stove blogs on MLB.com.
    Bowden.

One of the hazards of drafting high school pitchers. The rules don't give you very many years to develop them before they have to be protected or exposed to the draft.

Dang

He was just starting to throw well

He probably wouldn't stick with most clubs but considering how bad the Nationals are pitching wise he will probably get some innings

It's really hard to believe that Young will stick with the Nats for all of '09. But then again you know Bowden will find some loophole (injury) to keep from having to return him.

The only question with Young is whether the Reds will want him back after he doesn't make the Nats 25-man. I've got doubts that kid could last a whole year on a AA roster.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

If this for the Major League roster. Remember he must stay on the Nats ML roster all season or be offered back to the Reds. So he may be back.

how does the minor league phase work?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The only question with Young is whether the Reds will want him back after he doesn't make the Nats 25-man. I've got doubts that kid could last a whole year on a AA roster.

JimBo's too stubborn to return him. He'll stick, he'll be dreadful, and he'll never go above AA again.

Russell Haltiwanger has been selected in the AAA phase

Reds pick up Francisco Lizarraga (shortstop from the Dodgers AA Jacksonville roster) and lose some pitcher by the name of Henry Arias from Chattanooga in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft.

Lizarraga is a Single-A shortstop, probably a guy they want in case they don't want to play Buchholz at short in Dayton. They did not really have anyone else.

Arias was the guy they got for Brad Salman. Did not show much, although he does throw hard.

Young is a brutal pick by Washington. How often would you see a team select a player that they have to keep in the majors for a year when that same player could quite possibly been released out of A-ball by his original organization. He does not throw as hard as some want to say. He was around 90-92 most of the time in Dayton. Very questionable makeup, but a nice kid.

Reds get David Patton.

Edit: Sorry, I see it is already being covered in another thread.
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-11-2008 at 12:52 PM.

James Skelton went #11 to Arizona. Nice pick but I'm not sure why they need him since the already have Montero and Snyder.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    James Skelton went #11 to Arizona. Nice pick but I'm not sure why they need him since the already have Montero and Snyder.
    They are rumored to be shopping both guys in the hopes of trading one of them. Skelton would then be the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They are rumored to be shopping both guys in the hopes of trading one of them. Skelton would then be the backup.
    Yeah but I read yesterday that they are planning on hanging on to both of those guys. Could have just been a ploy though...
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?