Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Francisco Lizarraga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Francisco Lizarraga

He was the Reds' only pick in the minor league portion of the rule five draft. Because he was drafted in the AAA portion, he must spend the entire year in AA or higher.

Anyway, if you haven't already, take a moment to check out his stats.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=30921

He's really, really bad. He cost only $12,000, so I'm not complaining or anything. I'm guessing that he'll be on Carolina's bench, but I don't know why he would be needed because Jose Castro and Justin Tordi are both capable of playing the infield.

Anyway, just a few more things about him. He's 6'1", 170 pounds, 23 years old, a switch hitter, plays the middle infield (but not exceptionally well, I believe), and is from Mexico (like three others in the organization: Oscar Castro, Daniel Guerrero, and Humberto Sosa).

He was also a MWL All-Star in 2007, but don't get excited--he had a .677 OPS, so it was probably a result of slim pickings. The thing I'm wondering, though, is if the Reds think they have a potential steal on a guy who might have suddenly had a breakthrough in his development. In 2008, he was briefly in AAA on a temporary assignment, and while he was there, he was very un-Francisco Lizarraga-like and performed very well over 42 at-bats (.310/.420/.381).

Yeah, well, the official Francisco Lizarraga thread has begun. Have at it. I'm thinking this won't get too much feedback.

Re: Francisco Lizarraga

At least he has a cool name.

It makes me wonder about teams strategies of the rule 5. Is there any difference between the AAA phase and the AA phase?

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    It makes me wonder about teams strategies of the rule 5. Is there any difference between the AAA phase and the AA phase?
    The only difference worth mentioning is cost ($12,000 for AAA and $4,000 for AA). Other than that, it's just a few details that don't really mean anything.

Makes sense. With the departure of Elizardo Ramirez we were down one lizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Makes sense. With the departure of Elizardo Ramirez we were down one lizzard.
    That's a good point. He's the only lizard in the organization right now, so I hope we don't see him get too drained toward the end of the season.

Nothing but hope, but if he really did have a breakthrough it's much needed here. He was definitely not going anywhere with Hu and DeJesus there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The only thought that crossed my mind is perhaps we think he can pitch and want to convert him. I dismissed that mostly because, I think, you usually want to drop a guy back a level or two to begin as a pitcher and you certainly can't do that with the Rule 5 rules.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I had hoped that he could at least be a backup defensive infielder. Now I'll be curious to hear Walt's reason.

Probably they needed some depth at middle infield at the AA level. Sometimes you need to make sure you have enough guys to field a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Probably they needed some depth at middle infield at the AA level. Sometimes you need to make sure you have enough guys to field a team.
    I prefer the Lizard theory

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    I prefer the Lizard theory
    Unless the Reds are going to cut guys like Justin Tordi and Jose Castro soon, it actually makes more sense.

I think its pretty simple. This organization is woefuly short on guys who can capably play the MI defensively. Right now I got Janish, Jose Castro, Zach Cozart and after that I'm struggling to find anybody else for the list. this team has several 3B and OF in the making manning the MI spots.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think its pretty simple. This organization is woefuly short on guys who can capably play the MI defensively. Right now I got Janish, Jose Castro, Zach Cozart and after that I'm struggling to find anybody else for the list. this team has several 3B and OF in the making manning the MI spots.
    Speaking of which, I haven't heard Mike DeJesus' name in a while. I wonder what he's up to.

Are you including guys in the lower levels because there are a few players who seem to do well at shortstop.

Either way, you might add Luis Bolivar to the list. And why wouldn't Valaika play a capable middle infield?
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 12-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Speaking of which, I haven't heard Mike DeJesus' name in a while. I wonder what he's up to.

Are you including guys in the lower levels because there are a few players who seem to do well at shortstop.

Either way, you might add Luis Bolivar to the list. And why wouldn't Valaika play a capable middle infield?
    All we've heard about Valaika since the Reds got him is "if he can stick," "if he can stay at SS", etc. If there are questions about his MI defense I don't really want him on either side of 2B. I have a feeling Valaika would play 2B the way Freel played 2B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?