Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox Get New Uniforms for '09

Boston Red Sox Get New Uniforms for '09

The Red Sox will have a new look to them going forward, particularly on the road. At a news conference on Thursday night in Boston, the tradition-laden franchise unveiled new primary and alternate road jerseys for 2009.

The changes were done to put more of an emphasis on returning the visual elements that have made the Red Sox such an influential brand within the sport of baseball. The club will also go with the "Hanging Sox" -- which has been around since 1931 as the new primary logo, and it will be used more frequently and will be displayed on new caps that the Red Sox will wear with their alternate jerseys at home and on the road.

For long-time fans, the new road jersey will be a trip down memory lane, in that it will resemble the road grays worn in the 1980s during the days of Jim Rice, Dwight Evans and Bob Stanley.

The "retro roadies," as the Red Sox referred to them in a press release, will feature the word "BOSTON" in blue lettering across the chest.

"The origin of this was Turn Back the Clock Day in June of '07 in San Diego," said Red Sox COO Mike Dee. "Everybody thought the gray was a bluer gray because of the blue lettering. The bordering makes the same gray look bluer. Basically, we've taken what was the red 'BOSTON' on the front and replaced that with a blue 'BOSTON.'"

The alternate road uniform will be a combination of white pants and blue jersey with "BOSTON" in red lettering across the chest.

No changes have been made to Boston's primary home uniforms. The alternate home red jerseys will still be used, and will now be accompanied by alternate hats which feature the new "Hanging Sox" logo. The alternate caps will also be worn on the road with the alternate blue tops.

"If you look at the outerwear that we wear on the road, we've pretty much gone to blue as a road color and red as the home color," said Dee. "This is really an exact continuation of that. We have blue dugout jackets on the road and red dugout jackets at home; blue BP jerseys on the road, red BP jerseys at home. This gives us a blue theme to the road uniform and then a blue alternate top."

The "circle Sox," which had been the primary logo, will now be the secondary logo and will now include better graphics and clearer font. The "B" will be the third logo.

Why the change to "Hanging Sox" as the primary logo?

"The decision to change was made given the long-time iconic stature of the 'Hanging Sox,' which possesses an instant appeal and recognition of the team," the club said in a press release.

All the changes were meant to be subtle in nature.

"There's several changes, but we think they're traditional in nature and aesthetically pleasing and will be warmly received by the fans," said Dee.

Manager Terry Francona and reliever Manny Delcarmen were on hand to model the new jerseys at Thursday's announcement. Rice, who is a candidate to be voted into the Hall of Fame next month, was also on hand, as was popular NESN commentator and former Sox second baseman Jerry Remy

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boston Red Sox Get New Uniforms for '09

The road jersey is great. Simple and very sharp. Going back to their roots, except for the fancy lettering instead of the block lettering that they wore from 1938 to 1968 and again from 1979 to 1989. I always liked the Red Sox uniforms better when they wore the traditional navy undershirts and sleeves.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

What are alternate uniforms? Are these additions to their 2008 inis or do they replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What are alternate uniforms? Are these additions to their 2008 inis or do they replace them?
    Both. Alternate uniforms are usually for Sundays and holidays, maybe if there's a special pre-game ceremony or maybe just to break or extend a streak. But those road unis replace their old regular road unis.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I like the lettering on those unis.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I was prepared to be appalled (I love Boston's simple, classic uniforms as they are), but they look great.

The Boston Red Sox organization just gets it, from top to bottom, don't they?

Except for those alternate uniforms.

John Wooden

What could be revamped is the template they use to show uniforms. How incredibly scholastic textbook looking.

I like the road unis. The black letters remind me of how they were when I was growing up.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I like the road unis. The black letters remind me of how they were when I was growing up.
    dark blue I believe. Navy even.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Except for those alternate uniforms.
    No, I don't like their alternates, either. I like the idea of them, and I like that home is red and road is blue, but I don't like that particular red or blue very much. And I don't like that the alternate cap has no "B" on it, it doesn't quite feel right.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I think that all MLB teams should reach into their past tradition for alternate uniforms instead of using the all too common "softball jerseys" that most use. The Indians, Brewers and Phillies have done a good job with this. It would be really great if the Reds would use the vests as an alternate. I would rather see the Braves pull out the "feather" jersey of the mid 70's. The Astros could pull out the old "shooting star" jersey. The A's could use one of the old Finley jerseys. I realize that it wouldn't work for every team, as some have remained traditional, but it is a little more creative and pays tribute to the past.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I think that all MLB teams should reach into their past tradition for alternate uniforms instead of using the all too common "softball jerseys" that most use. The Indians, Brewers and Phillies have done a good job with this. It would be really great if the Reds would use the vests as an alternate. .
    Here is what the Reds should have. No undersleeves.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The Reds should have arms like that.

Natural arms, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I'm pretty sure Javy would've been for that.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?