Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phils sign Ibanez

Phils sign Ibanez

They have replaced their RH bat with a lesser lefthanded bat in Ibanez. The Phillies just downgraded and got older.

Ibanez career OPS is .818 and Burrell's is .852. Ibanez will be 37.

The Phillies have agreed to a three-year contract with free-agent outfielder Raul Ibanez, pending a physical. The deal is believed to be worth $30 million over three years.

The 36-year-old Ibanez will become the Phillies' new everyday leftfielder, and his signing means the Phillies no longer will pursue their longtime leftfielder, Pat Burrell, who is also a free agent.

Ibanez had drawn significant interest from a number of teams, including the Cubs, Mets, Angels and Braves. But he had been sending signals through friends that the Phillies were his first choice.

And the Phillies stepped up their efforts to sign him Thursday after it became known that the Angels also were negotiating the parameters of a deal with Ibanez as their No. 1 alternative if they lost out in efforts to sign Mark Teixeira.

Ibanez, who turns 37 next June, has spent the past five seasons with the Mariners, where he was a longtime favorite of Pat Gillick, then the Mariners' GM and now the outgoing Phillies GM.

Ibanez hit .293 this season, with 23 homers, 110 RBIs, a .358 on-base percentage and a .472 slugging percentage. He is one of just five outfielders who have driven in at least 100 runs in each of the past three seasons. The others: Carlos Beltran, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Bobby Abreu.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phils sign Ibanez

3/30 for Ibanez? Maybe prices aren't going to drop all that much after all.

I can't imagine why there is so much interest in Ibanez. He must be a really good guy or something because he's really not that great.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It's about what I expected though. I guessed Burrell at about 10 million per. I would expect Abreu and Dunn to get a little more, but it depends on where they go. I Abreu can get a deal with the Yankees, I expect him to return there.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    It's about what I expected though. I guessed Burrell at about 10 million per. I would expect Abreu and Dunn to get a little more, but it depends on where they go. I Abreu can get a deal with the Yankees, I expect him to return there.
    Burrell, Dunn, and Abreu should all get more than Ibanez.

You mean maybe the owners cried poor again but are going to cough up the money once free agent season arrives?

There's a surprise. You can set your calender by it.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Oh, I agree. I was just saying that I guessed Burrell would get 10 million per before this signing.

Wowsers....the Phils really do hate their fans (I thought it was the other way around). :-)

Seriously, he's a great guy and I wish him the best (and may he continue to give stat heads the finger as he steps to the plate), but I think this one is a reach.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Wow. A 36yr old corner OF'er gets' 10 Mill.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He's a good , consistent hitter in a pitchers ballpark. he can field.

His offense should spike in that Philly park.

Considering the years and money, he's likely a better fit in Philly than Burrell.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Considering the years and money, he's likely a better fit in Philly than Burrell.
    why?

Based upon what Ibanez just signed for that would be a true statement.

Personally however, I think the Phils just overpaid.

Rem

His offense should spike in that Philly park.

My friend who is an M's fan had me under the impression that Ibanez was a terrible outfielder. He's very happy to replace him with Franklin Gutierrez.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Safeco is not a bad park for LH hitters ... and the ballpark you play doesn't change who you are. Everyone else gets a bump as well.

When you reach 37-39 there is an excellent chance that skills will erode very quickly. Ibanez for 3 years is extremely risky.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Based upon what Ibanez just signed for that would be a true statement.

Personally however, I think the Phils just overpaid.

Rem
    No doubt. He's not much better defensively than the guy he's replacing and he's quite a bit older. Offense is a push at best.

Turn Off Ads?