Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RedsFest

RedsFest

I'm taking my 5 yo son today. I've never been nor has he. I've got an idea of what is available to do but would like to hear from those who actually have been to it. What are the absolute must do things?

Thanks in advance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsFest

Since they didn't invite Javy, there really is no must do thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

This is my first RedsFest as well. Just looking foward to meeting Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, Edison Volquez, George Foster, and Eric Davis. I'm also interested in the Hot Stove report by Walt Jocketty

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

There are a few kid type things that your son would probably enjoy like the batting cages, running the bases, sliding into home, a pitching game, and there's a baseball video game area too. There are also booths from some of the sponsors and they give away free stuff (my favorite part, LOL). If you want to meet the players, be prepared to stand in some lines and try to get a look at the schedule before you do that so you know which player is where and at which time. Some of the things from the HOF Nuxhall exhibitin are going to be in a display as well as some other Reds stuff too. There's also a shop, memorablia area, lots of different food (check out the Homemade Ice Cream stand that has little cups of ice cream for a $1), and there's always something going on at the main stage (I think tonight are some question and answer segments). There's really a lot to see and do and I hope you have a great time! I'll be there with a friend (we're leaving in about an hour) so who knows, we could run into each other there!

(((ChipR))) Sorry there's no Javy for you!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

You're gonna like it. I'd spend some time and attention on the Reds minor leaguers who are there. They're usually very accomodating, and there is a good group of them who are scheduled to attend.

It'll be interesting to hear Jocketty speak, as well, if for no other reason than to see if he's any more forthcoming than Krivsky was.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

I'm bummed I can't make it to the Queen City this weekend. I would have had the opportunity to go to Redsfest and the Shootout on Saturday but unfortunately I have to work. :thumbdown

I hope to hear full Redsfest reports from attending 'Zoners and pictures too if possible!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    You're gonna like it. I'd spend some time and attention on the Reds minor leaguers who are there. They're usually very accomodating, and there is a good group of them who are scheduled to attend.

It'll be interesting to hear Jocketty speak, as well, if for no other reason than to see if he's any more forthcoming than Krivsky was.
    Oh he'll be seemingly more forthcoming, but I doubt in the end it tells us anything more than Krivsky would have really. Walts definitely more clever than Wayne.

Please if anyone speaks to Brandon Phillips tell him that if he wants to improve he needs to quit swinging at that low & away stuff. If he stops he's a superstar if he doesn't well..let's just hope he does. Tell him to watch some video of Bonds' approach at the plate from what he once was to what he ended up being. Bonds approach at the plate was damn near flawless in the majority of the last 8 years or so. He dared pitchers to hit that outside corner and when they couldn't he'd kill them and most of the time they couldn't. The same reason why most of the great pitchers of the last so many years were so good, they could hit that outside corner with regularity.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Was anyone listening to Sportstalk on WLW tonight? Wow. Three hours of Reds coverage from Redsfest with interviews from Jocketty, Baker, Votto, Phillips, Rhodes, Bray, Hanigan, Valaika, Janish, DThompson and I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of players. Great stuff.

I am fired up for the season! (I know, call me crazy, but I think we're going to contend this year.)

"Hey, Crazy... you are crazy."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I was pretty impressed with WJ tonight. I enjoyed what he had to say on how they mix both scouting and statistical analysis to analyze players. Also was excited to hear that the Reds have a statistical team that has a player forecasting system to project future performance, although it wasn't gone into (especially at Redsfest where half the people listening would have fallen asleep). Still, it makes me feel better about WJ since one reason I kept hearing about how he was run out of St Louis was because of his resistance to statistical analysis being a part of player evaluations.

Very interesting, Doug. Wish I had heard that; it would have eased some of my concerns about ol' Walt.
    Chad D

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was pretty impressed with WJ tonight. I enjoyed what he had to say on how they mix both scouting and statistical analysis to analyze players. Also was excited to hear that the Reds have a statistical team that has a player forecasting system to project future performance, although it wasn't gone into (especially at Redsfest where half the people listening would have fallen asleep). Still, it makes me feel better about WJ since one reason I kept hearing about how he was run out of St Louis was because of his resistance to statistical analysis being a part of player evaluations.
    Yes this is very good to hear. If you have any more information about his cross with scout/stats I think everyone would like to hear more. I was also afraid of the rumors of him running out because of stats.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    Very interesting, Doug. Wish I had heard that; it would have eased some of my concerns about ol' Walt.
    What made it even better is the question was asked by an older woman, probably in her 50s. It was something to the extent of 'How do you guys use statistical analysis in both drafting/developing players as well as evaluating guys?'
    It was a very good question and Walt took it and gave a fantastic answer. It really made me feel a whole lot better.

Awesome, all the way around.
    Chad D

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was pretty impressed with WJ tonight. I enjoyed what he had to say on how they mix both scouting and statistical analysis to analyze players.
    Cool. Good to hear they still have scouts.

Rem

Doug were there any questions asked about trades to put a RH bat in right field? I am sure he didnt say what players as thats tampering, just curious what they said as well as the talk about Burrell?

thanks

Turn Off Ads?