Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RedsFest

Re: RedsFest

I'm guessing the Pepsi to Coke switch is due to the fact that Junior is no longer in town. Prior to the 2000 season the Reds sold Coke products but when Junior was traded over, Pepsi became the choice more than likely because he had an endorsement deal with them.

My dad will be happy, that's for sure.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Story I was told from someone:
    Bob Castellini came over after a boy had thrown in the speed gun cage and said, "I should bring Dusty Baker over, we could use this kid". A man in line interjected, "I'm not sure thats a good idea - looking at Dusty's track record -unless you can afford the co-payments for Tommy John surgery!" Every adult in the line laughed, and Castellini gave him a dirty look and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bob Castellini came over after a boy had thrown in the speed gun cage and said, "I should bring Dusty Baker over, we could use this kid". A man in line interjected, "I'm not sure thats a good idea - looking at Dusty's track record -unless you can afford the co-payments for Tommy John surgery!" Every adult in the line laughed, and Castellini gave him a dirty look and walked away.
    (!)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'm guessing the Pepsi to Coke switch is due to the fact that Junior is no longer in town. Prior to the 2000 season the Reds sold Coke products but when Junior was traded over, Pepsi became the choice more than likely because he had an endorsement deal with them.

IIRC most of the MLB ballparks switched over after the 1999 season - but Junior might've something to do with it in Cincy.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I hope that actually happend.

Thats Awe. Some.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I hope that actually happend.

Thats Awe. Some.
    I heard it from a friend, so I don't think he would make it up.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I don't know if I'm more or over that story, LOL On the one hand, Bob sounds like he was trying to pay the kid a nice compliment about his pitching and instead he got a rather snotty remark back from that man. On the other hand, Dusty's history doesn't look that good and it probably was a funny moment to everyone. I probably would have laughed too but part of me feels kind of bad for Bob because I'm sure that's not the response he was hoping for when he made that comment!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I don't know if I'm more or over that story, LOL On the one hand, Bob sounds like he was trying to pay the kid a nice compliment about his pitching and instead he got a rather snotty remark back from that man. On the other hand, Dusty's history doesn't look that good and it probably was a funny moment to everyone. I probably would have laughed too but part of me feels kind of bad for Bob because I'm sure that's not the response he was hoping for when he made that comment!
    It's a fan convention, not a make Bob feel good convention.

I would have loved to hear that.

I had a GREAT time. I will definitely be going again next year. I arrived at the Convention Center at around 2:00 on Friday and waited in line for two hours with my dad and three of his friends. Jay Bruce, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, and Joey Votto were my top priorities for autographs, but I was only able to get Volquez and Votto. I got Votto's at 4:30. When Cueto and Volquez's name popped up on the screen everyone took off running in the direction of section A. By the time I got over there the line was already backed up to the main stage. Same with Bruce. They cut the line off before I could get on. I moved on and picked up autos from Mario Soto, Todd Frazier, Zach Cozart, Chris Valaika, Danny Dorn, Jim Maloney, Jack Billingham, Jim O'Toole, Clay Carroll, and Edwin Encarnacion. Frazier is an awesome guy. All of them were very nice but Frazier really stood out. Danny Dorn is listed as 6'2". No way. He's gotta be closer to 6'4".

I don't think any of these guys have gotten hair cuts since the season ended. Cueto has a huge afro. Dickerson has a fro-hawk. Bruce was shaggy.

Today I arrived at 9:00 AM and again waited about an hour and 35 minutes. They actually opened the doors about 25 minutes early today. Today my main goals were getting Cueto and Bruce's autograph. I was really hoping to get Bruce's but I got his twice back in January when the Reds caravan came to Charleston, so I wasn't too disappointed about it. I was unable to get Cueto's today because he only signed in the season ticket holders section and the kids section. That's disappointing because I was really wanting his auto. He's very popular. He received a loud ovation when the players were being introduced. I did manage to get Volquez's autograph. As soon as his name popped up on the screen I took off running (with about 200 people running behind me) for section B for he was scheduled to sign. Along with Volquez's today, I also got an auto from George Foster, who is an AWESOME guy btw. Very nice. He spoke to me, asked me where I was from, and joked around. Along with Volquez and Foster, I also got autos from Adam Rosales, Danny Ray Herrera, Devin Mesoraco, and Ramon Hernandez.

I had a great time. For those who have never been, I highly recommend it.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

My friend and I went back to Redsfest today and had a great time again although we weren't there the whole time today. We got there around 11:30 AM and walked around to see some of the exhibits that we didn't see last night. They had this one area set up where the players read stories to all the little kids and they each took turns every half hour throughout the day. We managed to catch the kids story time hour at the perfect time....it was Joey Votto as the player guest! This area was near the MLB Hall of Fame exhibit (which we were walking through at the same time) so I was really happy that we saw that exhibit at just the right time. I now have about twenty pictures of Joey reading a story to the kids, LOL We also caught Bronson's and Jay's story times later in the afternoon. I think the players had fun with it because they all looked like they were getting into the stories when we saw them there. Joey was downright animated with his time and he was even asking the kids questions and stuff. It was SO cute! /end fangirl moment After that we got some lunch and then sat down near the stage for a while to eat. We caught part of the Hot Stove report but I don't remember hearing anything significant during that time. I walked around for a little while by myself when my friend got a phone call and I noticed that Joey Votto's autograph line was about 85 thousand miles long so that killed my hopes of meeting him today. I did notice a few other lines that I wanted to check out at some point (that wouldn't be miles long) and I also walked through the Reds store which I hadn't seen yet. They didn't have my size in the Votto t-shirts so that added another Votto bummer to the afternoon, LOL Anyway, I met up with my friend again and she wanted to hit in the batting cage, so we went over there and she actually hit the ball every time. We hit a couple more lines on our way back to our seats for the Awards and Reds Idol game. I met Nick Masset (who is really nice guy) and Ramon Hernandez. I told Ramon that I knew him from being an Orioles fan and I think he was happy that a fan knew him! He was probably trying to figure out how on earth he had met an Orioles fan while in Ohio, LOL We had a nice chat (my friend got a pic of us too) although I left out the part where I'm planning on throwing tomatoes at him if he pulls any of that loafing crap that I saw when he was with the O's. It's great that he (and Rhodes for that matter) came to Redsfest so soon after the trades/new deals and Ramon seemed genuinely excited to meet the fans and see so much support for the team. He's a good guy and I do hope he has a good year. We found some good seats for the Awards thing and that was pretty cool. I hadn't seen that before because they used to do it on Friday before we could get there after work and I'd missed it the last two years. I got some good pictures of all the guys and we did find out offcially that Aaron Harang couldn't come this year. Joey, Brandon, and Edinson were all laughing at something on the awards so I'm curious what was so funny. After the awards they did this Reds Idol thing where there were two really good singers and the other three were just all right. Joey, Tom Browning, and Marty B. were the judges and I was cracking up at Joey ragging on this one guy for wearing ripped jeans for the competition, LOL The competition ended in a tie between this one girl who did a really good job (I missed part of her when I went to get ice cream for both of us) and this kid who sang "Don't Stop Believing" and really got the crowd going with it. They both were great so the tie worked for me. They did the Kids Press Conference after that with Bronson, Jeff Keppinger, Chris Dickerson, and Brandon and they were a hoot! Marty and Jeff were the two moderators today and the guys answered all kinds of questions. I think it was a lot of fun and Bronson especially was really talkative today. I liked Brandon's 'funniest baseball moment to witness' answer (I think that was the question). He said when Jerry Narron was the manager that there was a game where Jerry wanted to go out and argue with the umpire about something but when he went to leave the dugout, he missed a step and landed face first right on the ground! He said he felt bad about Jerry falling down but it was definitely his funniest moment and I probably would have laughed too, LOL I really enjoy the Kids press conferences because it allows a different side of the players to come out and I think they have fun with it too.

After the Kids PC we actually left because we had plans to go downtown and skate at Fountain Square, but an hour and a half wait to even pay for your time on the ice kept us from doing that today. We were bummed out but decided to walk around Tower Place for a while and then we had dinner at Chipotle in Fountain Square. All in all it was a great weekend and I'm glad Redsfest was fun again this year. After not meeting any players last year, I'm happy I got to meet five this year. We probably could have met a few more if I had been willing to wait longer in the lines, but I wasn't going to make my friend go through it. She doesn't know the players that well and I think she would have been bored in about six seconds, LOL

BTW-There was a baseball card I missed yesterday and got today but I can't remember whose it is for the life of me.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

Who drinks Coke at games?

I want a Hudepohl...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I don't know if that story is true or not but it is a great story.

Rem

I was there for about five solid hours yesterday and it was a pretty good time. There were FAR more exhibitors there than the last time I went several years ago. Both the photo and the autograph lines were ridiculously long--so my 10 year old son and I tried to be opportunistic vultures and catch various Reds kinda milling around between sessions.

It worked pretty well...My son got to speak with EdE, Cueto and Volquez as they entered the center yesterday (got photo with EdE). We also nabbed for a quick 'hello': Arroyo, Hopper, Keppinger, Owings, Foster, Maloney, Soto to name a few. The only line that my son wanted to actually wait in was for the photo booth with Joey Votto / Adam Rosales (required a $5 'donation'). All told, it took us about 1 hour to make it through the line--but it was definitely worth it for my son. Votto was extremely friendly and made conversations with everyone who made it through the line.

Favorite moment #3: While my son was in line for one of the pitching cages, I was talking with my friend (and fellow RedsZone poster) who came to RF with us. All of the sudden, I notice that Micah Owings is just sitting there taking a rest in the area reserved for the "Storybook Reading" for smaller kids. I knew my son wanted his autograph, so I walked over to Micah and struck up a brief conversation. After welcoming him to the team, I asked him if he would "rather be the fifth starter--or rather bat fifth in the batting order" He laughed and said that he came here to be a pitcher--but that he LOVED to mash and looked forward to hitting in GABP. He also said that nobody from the Reds FO has really ever asked him anything about what his desires actually were. I told him to have a great Spring Training so that he could simply impose his will on them He really seems like a great kid and feel like he will end up being one of my favorite Reds. Got a nice picture of him with my son.

Favorite Moment #2: The friend I was with spent quite a bit more time around the Main Stage than did I. He said a kid from the crowd asked Walt what he thought about re-signing Adam Dunn for 2009. His response "Next question..." was apparently met with quite a few laughs.

Favorite Moment #3: The look on Brandon Phillips' face when the little girl in the crowd asked him what his favorite hockey team was.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I don't know if that story is true or not but it is a great story.

Rem
    If it isn't true - it should be. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    He also said that nobody from the Reds FO has really ever asked him anything about what his desires actually were.
    I mean, you only traded your best player for him and are investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in him. Why would you take 5 minutes to talk to him about his career goals? That's the Reds' front office in a nut shell, in my opinion.
    Last edited by top6; 12-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Turn Off Ads?