Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RedsFest

Re: RedsFest

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Doug were there any questions asked about trades to put a RH bat in right field? I am sure he didnt say what players as thats tampering, just curious what they said as well as the talk about Burrell?

thanks
    I was in and out for some of the questioning, but Walt said they were exploring both the market and trades, but that he couldn't really get specific until things were official. Burrell wasn't specifically addressed that I heard (but I did miss about 15 minutes of the questioning) by WJ or DB, but one fan did offer to get on his hands and knees to beg not to sign Burrell for whatever that is worth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was in and out for some of the questioning, but Walt said they were exploring both the market and trades, but that he couldn't really get specific until things were official. Burrell wasn't specifically addressed that I heard (but I did miss about 15 minutes of the questioning) by WJ or DB, but one fan did offer to get on his hands and knees to beg not to sign Burrell for whatever that is worth.
    Oh ok thanks Doug!! I think Walt is waiting to see who is non tendered as well.. had to be funny seeing Walt's reaction to that fan..lol

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Was anyone listening to Sportstalk on WLW tonight? Wow. Three hours of Reds coverage from Redsfest with interviews from Jocketty, Baker, Votto, Phillips, Rhodes, Bray, Hanigan, Valaika, Janish, DThompson and I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of players. Great stuff.
    Podcast links?

nm, found Doc, etc
    Last edited by gm; 12-13-2008 at 12:46 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Hey guys! I got home a little while ago from Day One at Redsfest and figured I would post a few things about tonight. Hopefully it's not too boring as I'm not really a person who runs all over the place getting autographs and everything (although I did a little of that tonight) but I do take a ton of pictures and I know I got some good shots of everything which I'll try to post tomorrow or Sunday.

Anyway, my friend and I got there around 5 PM which was perfect because it was busy but not crazy busy yet. I had to get our tickets at Will Call but that didn't take long and soon we were inside the main room trying to find our way around. They rearranged things from the way they did it last year so it took us walking around a bit to figure out the floor layout. We hadn't eaten dinner yet so after walking around we stopped for pizza and found seats in the main stage area. They did a Card Wars game while we were sitting there so we got two packs of baseball cards and I was happy that I got one of my favorite Orioles in my first pack (not Brian Roberts though, LOL). My friend got Ian Kinsler in one of her packs which cracked us both up because her last name is REALLY similar to his and she did a double take! They did the introductions of all the past and present players not long after that which was REALLY cool. I liked seeing all the older players together with the younger guys. The only omissions I noticed in the current team announcements were Aaron Harang, Francisco Cordero, and David Weathers. I think the rest of the guys were all there. I LOVED that everyone screamed, "BRUUUUUUCE!!" for Jay when he came out. Arthur Rhodes was even there which was my way of finding out that he passed his physical and cemented that deal, LOL They did the Kids Press Conference after that with Norris Hopper, Adam Rosales, Jay Bruce (who needs a haircut, LOL), and Bill Bray which was really fun. The kids mostly asked some good questions and I liked that Thom and Jeff Brantley not only joined in answering a few of them but also helped broaden some of the really vague questions so the guys could give a better answer. Jay Bruce's favorite game moment was hitting the walk off home run against the Braves this past year and it took all my effort not to scream out, "I WAS THERE!!" after he said that, LOL I also liked how when asked which team they want to beat the most, they all said the Cubs! The crowd cheered of course. The pitchers the three position player guys don't like hitting against are Brandon Webb, Jake Peavy, and CC Sabathia. I don't blame them! They talked a bit about when they started playing the game and when asked when they hit their first ever HR, Jeff joked with Jay that he hit his while in diapers, LOL I always like going to the Kids PC because the kids are really cute and the guys get to answer questions that they don't always get asked during the season. It kind of makes them more relatable when they get to talk about what they do in the offseason and their favorite ice cream or something like that. After the PC we walked around again and at one point, I found myself about three feet away from Joey Votto! I am proud that I did not turn into a pile of mush but I was totally tongue tied and didn't say anything to him. He was on his way to one of the Photograph booths (they do professional photographs with two of the guys for $5, which goes to the Reds Community Fund, and then you get the picture) so he wouldn't have been able to talk anyway but I was SO CLOSE to him and became a total fangirl. We did walk to that photograph area (which had a LONG line ) and my friend got some good pics of him standing over there so that's good. I do hope I get a chance to talk to him tomorrow so I can try not to freak out this time, LOL Anyway, we walked around and picked up some free stuff (I signed up to win the Reds Dream Room again but I never win) and we kept seeing people with these little bouncy baseballs. My friend is a teacher and she wanted to get one but we could never find the booth that had them so that became our mission for the rest of the night. She eventually found the booth back behind the ice cream area and got one to take to school. We checked out a few of the autograph and photo lines but they were all crazy long right then, so we skipped those for the time being and kept walking around for a while. We got to all the baseball card booths that were giving out Reds player cards and I hope to hit all of those again tomorrow because they're supposed to have different players each day. I think we got Jeff Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Ryan Freel, Aaron Harang, and Bronson. I may have missed someone though; I don't have them with me at the moment. We got some ice cream from the Homemade truck (cookies and cream...YUM) and then sat in the Trivia area for a little while to eat. We walked around again after that and checked out the stuff that was on display and eventually headed back towards the main stage.

While we were heading towards the stage, I noticed on the sign that Micah Owings and Jared Burton were going to be signing together at an autograph booth soon. I'm a big Micah fan so I asked my friend if she minded waiting in the line (I didn't think it was long) and she said that was fine so we got in the line. Well, this line actually went through all the turnstiles and wasn't even the area where Jared or Micah were going to be, so we left that line and headed to the other side of the autograph booth. My friend decided she wanted to go sit down for a while and maybe catch the Cincinnati Choir (Nich Lachey's group sang after the Hot Stove report which we skipped tonight since we'll also be there tomorrow and can catch it then) so I went into the line by myself. I noticed that Jared was sitting up there by himself and Micah was no where to be found. The volunteers had no clue where he was so they just started the line for Jared and told people that Micah wasn't in the line. It was really confusing and I was talking with a few people in the line about why Micah was on the sign if he wasn't there. Eventually, these girls got in line behind us and said he was at another booth because they just came from it. That made it even more confusing but I just figured, all right they made a mistake or a change and now I just need to get in his line after I get Jared's signature. Eventually they had all the folks who just wanted Jared to come to the front of that line (the rest of it wanted to also get Dickerson who was at the other side) so I moved to that part and got Jared's signature on my team photo. Then I went to find Micah's line and I couldn't figure out which area he was at so I went the opposite direction trying to find him and instead found Ryan Hanigan's line which was rather short. So I got in there and eventually got his signature on my photo (I also got a picture with him and I wouldn't have even asked the volunteer lady to take one if she hadn't all ready done one for someone else ahead of me, LOL ) and then went back to searching for Micah. I eventually found his line and got in that one all the while missing the choir and hoping my friend wasn't bored or anything. Micah's line took a little longer because he was rather talkative and made sure to make good eye contact to everyone when they met him. I finally got up to the front and the guy who had been waiting in front of me was talking to him about how he hoped Micah got to play more this coming season. They were joking about his very few at bats and I couldn't help chiming in, "But you really made them count!" and he and the other guy both laughed and Micah said, "I did what I could!". When my turn came I felt bad that I didn't have anything for him to sign that had his picture on it but he was cool with signing the team photo in one of the corners (with a silver gel pen which I found really cute because he asked my permission first, LOL). I told him about my friend in Louisiana who's been a fan of his since he was at Tulane and how she was bummed he got traded but eventually became happy about it because he came to a good team that she liked thanks to me. He asked if she was from New Orleans (she's actually from north of there in Gretna I think) and if she was coming to Cincy to see a game. I told him I was working on getting her here for this coming season and he said that she really need to come see them this year. And then he was like, "Tell her I said so!" I can't wait to tell her that, LOL It was a really cute exchange and he is SUCH a nice guy. I was all ready a fan before but now I'm an even bigger one and I hope he has a great season this coming year. After that I rejoined my friend (the choir was long gone by this point) and we stayed for Bronson's concert which was really good this year. He's gotten better and better each year that he performs and I actually liked all his songs. At one point, he joked about how Brandon Phillips can be so hard to catch at Redsfest because he runs around so much and that he hoped everyone who wanted to see him had gotten to by then. During one of his songs later in the concert, Brandon came running in out of NOWHERE and started busting a move in front of the stage! It was hilarious and Bronson told us later that when they were on Best Sports Show Period together last season, they asked Bronson to play something on his guitar (which he had to improvise because they didn't have rights to air him singing a song that wasn't his) and Brandon said he would dance for the song. Well, Bronson sang but Brandon didn't dance at all! I guess this random busting a move tonight was his way of making it up to Bronson, LOL We left after the concert was over and tomorrow our main goals are to go in the batting cage (we missed that tonight), try to catch the Joey Votto line, maybe catch some of the hispanic guys (my friend teaches Spanish and wants to talk to them), and buy a couple of Christmas gifts for other people. It was a really fun night and I can't wait to go back tomorrow!

Hmmm, I think I just set a record for the most smileys used in one entry. Sorry, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Thanks for the report Heather.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

That post intimidated me.

Nice recap Heather!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That post intimidated me.

Nice recap Heather!
    She Has Learned To Post The Right Way.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Great report, Heather!!!

I got there around 4:30 and the line to get in was about half full but moving fast... so the wait wasn't so long. Got in and got my goodie bag and then headed to the HOF. Now, I haven't talked with Chip for awhile, so I really didn't know if he would be there (as part of the vintage baseball) - anyhoo, he wasn't, it was the members of the Red Stockings. I made some small talk, bought a t-shirt (they threw in a poster). In the background was highlights (and lowlights) of the vintage game held at GABP this year - I asked if the action included the cute guy that wears a bandana (he's with the Buckeyes) and one Red Stocking chimed in that HE forgot to wear his bandana tonight! (BTW, received a text from Chip later on asking if I was at RedsFest)

Went around to the baseball card stations (nice idea) got the coupons with them (one had free samples of sunflower seeds). Checked in with the season ticket booth to check on my order. I had not only changed my seat but also the ticket package. The Reds took the money but I haven't received any confirmation if the seat was available. The guy checked and everything was transferred. Got a magnet next door - then saw the booth with employment opportunties with some neat stuff to give away. Unfortunately you need to fill out an application (I guess) to get the goodies.

It's always important to keep an eye out for random crowds - i.e., not lines to get autographs or pics - that usually means that a player is roaming about. There was not only WLW broadcasting but another station doing a show. A big crowd had gathered in front and lo and behold it was Bronson! Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera this night but snapped a few pics on my cell phone. "Samson" has shorter hair (and it looks good)... (He must had told Jay to keep growing his... BTW Jay looked like he was channelling the Beatles! )

I'm in-between paydays, so money is tight and I stayed away from the food offerings (even tho' they were cheap). Wasn't going to go to the memorbilla (sp?) booths for that reason - but wandered over just to see if there were any bargins. Found a booth in the back that was selling some baseball cards 5 for $2.00! Well, ended up getting 4 Noochie Varner's and 1 Ron Villone! Hey! It made my night!

Finshed off the night watching the past and present ballplayers together - which is a great idea! I was part of the crowd that yelled "BRUUUUUCE"! OK... I did go back to the ice cream truck but balked getting any - I still had things to do before going home and feared that it would be a gooey mess.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

This from Trent's blog:
    http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2...sfest_saturday

The biggest news of the day I heard was that Great American Ball Park is changing to Coke products instead of Pepsi. That made the Cowboy and I very happy.

[if it's true]

Hey, Krono, if you make it back to these parts, I'll have to buy you a Sprite at the ballpark!
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    This from Trent's blog:
    http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2...sfest_saturday

[if it's true]

Hey, Krono, if you make it back to these parts, I'll have to buy you a Sprite at the ballpark!
    Weak, I'm a Pepsi man!!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The biggest news of the day I heard was that Great American Ball Park is changing to Coke products instead of Pepsi. That made the Cowboy and I very happy.

Let the winning begin!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Weak, I'm a Pepsi man!!!
    Quit whining... You've had your stuff for 8 seasons...:

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Quit whining... You've had your stuff for 8 seasons...:
    I guess I'll have to rig up some sort of Macgyver-esque, cooled, portable Pepsi backpack.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Was anyone listening to Sportstalk on WLW tonight? Wow. Three hours of Reds coverage from Redsfest with interviews from Jocketty, Baker, Votto, Phillips, Rhodes, Bray, Hanigan, Valaika, Janish, DThompson and I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of players. Great stuff.

I am fired up for the season! (I know, call me crazy, but I think we're going to contend this year.)

"Hey, Crazy... you are crazy."
    Hey! Nobody calls anyone crazy about here without my express written consent!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I guess I'll have to rig up some sort of Macgyver-esque, cooled, portable Pepsi backpack.
    Nope... just do what I did for all those years... bring in an unopened 20oz bottle of the rival stuff (Pepsi for you)...

Turn Off Ads?