Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should we target?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bobby Abreu

7 22.58%
  • Milton Bradley

7 22.58%
  • Pat Burrell

4 12.90%
  • Jermain Dye

6 19.35%
  • Other trade target at 3B or COF (please name)

7 22.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should we target?

Who should we target?

After the discussion on Juan Rivera that many of us took part in I ask the following question that Cyclone put forth in that thread. Which COF is the best option for us to have a winning season? In order for that to happen we are gonna need a guy to play LF and OPS better than .850 and preferably much more. Now I know many would prefer a LHH to most of what's available RH however we all know that the organization is seemingly set on a RHH. So with that in mind I give you the options.

Now I would prefer we vote strictly on who is the best fit knowing all of the circumstances. But beggars can't be too choosy so I'll just lay out the best of the well known available to choose from. Pick one of these as the guy we should target and of course lay out whatever else you wish in your posts. One other thing I don't think it's quite fair to put anyone on this list that either isn't likely to post an .850 OPS, isn't RH or will be more expensive than 10-12 million tops which is right around what I think the Reds are looking for.

(I realize Abreu & Bradley are Switch Hitters but I think you get the idea) also take into consideration contracts, money etc.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who should we target?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    After the discussion on Juan Rivera that many of us took part in I ask the following question that Cyclone put forth in that thread. Which COF is the best option for us to have a winning season? In order for that to happen we are gonna need a guy to play LF and OPS better than .850 and preferably more. Now I know many would prefer a LHH to most of what's available RH however we all know that the organization is seemingly set on a RHH. So with that in mind I give you the options.

Now I would prefer we vote strictly on who is the best fit knowing all of the circumstances. But beggars can't be too choosy so I'll just lay out the best of the well know available to choose from. Pick one of these as the guy we should target and of course lay out whatever else you wish in your posts. One other thing I don't think it's quite fair to put anyone on tis list that either isn't likely to post an .850 OPS, isn't RH or will be more expensive than 10-12 million tops which is right around what I think the Reds are looking for.
    Obtainable (in theory): Manny. Not obtainable: Ryan Braun/Markalis. Realistic: Randy Winn.

Center and short would still need to be addressed IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Public results!

Jeremy Hermida...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Obtainable (in theory): Manny. Not obtainable: Ryan Braun/Markalis. Realistic: Randy Winn.

Center and short would still need to be addressed IMHO.
    Of course I should have added that assuming all other pieces were in place or at least assumed they were to be obtained.

Wouldn't Winn be an OK CF option?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd like to see Hermida or Delmon Young coupled with a young SS.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

It's really simple, folks. Sign Manny and Texiera, move Bruce to CF and Votto to COF. Done!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'd like to see Hermida or Delmon Young coupled with a young SS.
    I think we all would prefer someone like that, but it doesn't likely make us contenders in the short term. An .850+ OPS '09 bat puts us in the neighborhoood assuming all other area's are cleared up.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think we all would prefer someone like that, but it doesn't likely make us contenders in the short term. An .850+ OPS '09 bat puts us in the neighborhoood assuming all other area's are cleared up.
    I like Hermida's defense. I think it can make up a big chunk of the difference between his bat and the others listed. Plus he's been playing in a pitcher's park. I think he could easily be a more valuable player than Dye in 2009. And with the money saved, we can spend on something else and not be crippled for the future...

Other:

1. trade for JJ Hardy then sign Abreu.

Imagine this lineup:
    CF Dickerson
    SS Hardy
    LF Abreu (L)
    1B Votto (L)
    3B EE
    RF Bruce (L)
    2B Phillips
    C Hernandez/Hanigan

2. Beltre then move EE to LF

either of these would be good. trading for Dye gives us an ugly LF-3B-SS defensively.

If the Reds could afford it, would you guys be for giving Manny 3 years at 60+ million? The Dodgers have offered him 2 @ 45 and it might take 3 @ 70 for someone to get him.

I know he has all of that baggage and I have never really liked the guy, but he's one of the best hitters of all time and still one of the best in the game. If the Reds signed him and got another player or two via trades, I would have to think they would be World Series contenders or playoff locks at the least. Is that worth 70 million to the Reds? You would think he would sale a lot of tickets as well.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Abreu / Dye: Oldish

Bradley: Lunatic and injury prone

Burrell: Not perfect, but should produce for the length of his contract as long as it isn't too long.

I picked Abreu, as I did in the prior thread. But after reading an analysis of his defense over at fangraphs, I'm not so sure.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Other=Beltre, EE to left.

I would probably go with Hermida if the rumor is true that he can be had for Owings or Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    I would probably go with Hermida if the rumor is true that he can be had for Owings or Bailey.
    Same here, but I'd be surprised if he could be had for Owings.

Turn Off Ads?