Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Non-tenders to consider

Some Non-tenders to consider

Here are some guys that may interest some of you:

1)Ty Wigginton- this guy bats RH can play 3b/1b/OF although he's not a plus defender. The guy has decent power, and offensive numbers but if he signed with us could he be our LF and occasionally spell Votto at first?

2)Willy Tavares-RH CF plays great defense can steal 60+bases would be the ideal leadoff hitter this team needs, but he had a down year in Colorado as his OBP was fairly low.

3)Clay Hensley-RHSP that Jocketty had interest in earlier in the summer, he's coming back from injury as he only pitched 39 innings of relief last year, but did pitch 180+ in 2006 and had solid numbers. His GB/FB ratio is ideal for GABP, I think he has a good chance of being a RED in 09!

4)Angel Berroa-RH SS- released by the Dodgers, had a nice year a few years back with KC, could be an adequate backup to Gonzo and spell him on occasion, would be relatively cheap.

thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

Tavaras: Not interested.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Here are some guys that may interest some of you:

1)Ty Wigginton- this guy bats RH can play 3b/1b/OF although he's not a plus defender. The guy has decent power, and offensive numbers but if he signed with us could he be our LF and occasionally spell Votto at first?

2)Willy Tavares-RH CF plays great defense can steal 60+bases would be the ideal leadoff hitter this team needs, but he had a down year in Colorado as his OBP was fairly low.

3)Clay Hensley-RHSP that Jocketty had interest in earlier in the summer, he's coming back from injury as he only pitched 39 innings of relief last year, but did pitch 180+ in 2006 and had solid numbers. His GB/FB ratio is ideal for GABP, I think he has a good chance of being a RED in 09!

4)Angel Berroa-RH SS- released by the Dodgers, had a nice year a few years back with KC, could be an adequate backup to Gonzo and spell him on occasion, would be relatively cheap.

thoughts?
    close to list I had on guys I would like , course i added them to the long thread on non tender guys , but it is not about Dusty it is far more pass on Taveras for god's sake!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

here is the full list according to a post on Fay's blog comments:

SP Lance Cormier
    C Jamie Burke
    RP Joe Nelson
    RP Mario Alvarez
    OF Norris Hopper
    C Robby Hammock
    RP Wil Ledezma
    OF Jeff Salazar
    RP Chris Britton
    OF Justin Christian
    RP Takashi Saito
    RP Scott Proctor
    RP Yhency Brazoban
    OF Reggie Abercrombie
    SP Daniel Cabrera
    RP Denny Bautista
    SS Angel Berroa
    UTIL Chris Burke
    SP Chris Capauno
    SP Tim Redding
    SP Chuck James
    UTIL Ty Wigginton
    OF Willy Taveras
    C Kevin Cash
    RP Clay Hensley
    SP Chuck Haeger
    DH Jonny Gomes
    RP Gary Majewski
    RP Matt Belisle
    RP Doug Mathis
    RP Randy Flores
    RP Tyler Johnson
    2B Aaron Miles
    OF Joey Gathright
    RP John Bale
    SP Scott Matheison
    RP Ambiorix Burgos
    2B Argenis Reyes
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

You simply can't put Willy T on the roster because of the man that was hired at manager. It's so sad that the Reds GM has to consider the fact that basically a 5 year old is managing the Reds and you can't afford to put bad players on the roster because he will probably bat them first or second (see Patterson, Janish). Maybe that's a good thing for the Reds? It will convince WJ to not put terrible players on the roster for fear that Dusty will start them?

I know that the Reds have their flaws, and I'm not blaming management for their lack of success in past years, but I don't know if I can handle another season of such unbelievably awful management.

Not Berroa, please!!! Horrible attitude problems, KC was glad to dump him. Takes it easy on way too many plays, if losing he just packs it in. Really. I hated the guy when he was on the Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not Berroa, please!!! Horrible attitude problems, KC was glad to dump him. Takes it easy on way too many plays, if losing he just packs it in. Really. I hated the guy when he was on the Royals.
    But it's the Royals , sorry but that could get any man down over time
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Cruisin' for trouble

I wonder if Daniel Cabrera could make it in the bullpen. He did show flashes last year and always seems to be close to realizing his potential.

Willy Taveras for leadoff hitter? Are you channeling The Dustinator, by chance?

Last edited by WMR; 12-13-2008 at 06:35 AM.

since the Reds are dipping into the dumpster, here's the guys I'd like to be considered

Aaron Miles-2B- Cardinals
    Cardinals non-tendered infielder Aaron Miles.
    All 42 non-tendered players are now listed below. Miles was non-tendered last year and re-signed to a $1.4 million contract a few weeks later. The Cardinals would probably like to have him back at a modest raise, but they weren't going to risk paying him $2.5 million or so after his best offensive season to date (.317/.355/.398 in 379 at-bats). As loved as he is by some for his scrappiness, it'd be no surprise to see him land a starting job at second base.

Joey Gathright-OF- Royals
    Royals non-tendered outfielder Joey Gathright.
    Gathright was an asset while hitting .307/.371/.342 in 228 at-bats for the Royals in 2007, but he fell off to .254/.311/.272 in 279 at-bats last season. We could see the speedster ending up in the NL West with the Rockies or Padres. The Reds are another possibility, though they'll probably target Willy Taveras first.

Ty Wigginton-3B- Astros
    Astros non-tendered third baseman Ty Wigginton.
    The Astros have opted to tender Brandon Backe, Tim Byrdak, Wandy Rodriguez, Geoff Geary, Jose Valverde and Humberto Quintero. Wigginton gets the boot even after hitting .285/.350/.526 in 386 at-bats last season. The Twins are one team that could sign him to play third base, but he'd probably be more valuable in the outfield. The Astros figure to go in search of a cheap third baseman. They do have Geoff Blum, but he's a weak option. They might actually be better off grabbing a shortstop (Juan Uribe?) and moving Miguel Tejada to third base.

Clay Hensley-R- Padres
    Padres non-tendered RHP Clay Hensley.
    Hensley went 11-10 with a 3.56 ERA in 29 starts for the Padres in 2006, but he hurt his shoulder in 2007 and didn't show his former stuff after coming back last season. He's not hopeless yet, but the Padres weren't going to go to arbitration with him. The Reds are one of the teams that may try to pick him up.

Good Lord!

That's a scary bunch.

RP Yhency Brazoban
    SP Daniel Cabrera
    SS Angel Berroa
    UTIL Chris Burke
    SP Chris Capauno
    SP Tim Redding
    UTIL Ty Wigginton
    OF Willy Taveras
    RP Clay Hensley
    DH Jonny Gomes
    2B Aaron Miles
    OF Joey Gathright

That is the list of guys I'd at least take a look at. I think how Dusty would handle some of these guys is a big issue, but some of these guys could add value at minimal contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    But it's the Royals , sorry but that could get any man down over time
    I think the Reds and Royals are pretty much in the same class anymore.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    since the Reds are dipping into the dumpster, here's the guys I'd like to be considered

Aaron Miles-2B- Cardinals
    Cardinals non-tendered infielder Aaron Miles.
    All 42 non-tendered players are now listed below. Miles was non-tendered last year and re-signed to a $1.4 million contract a few weeks later. The Cardinals would probably like to have him back at a modest raise, but they weren't going to risk paying him $2.5 million or so after his best offensive season to date (.317/.355/.398 in 379 at-bats). As loved as he is by some for his scrappiness, it'd be no surprise to see him land a starting job at second base.

Joey Gathright-OF- Royals
    Royals non-tendered outfielder Joey Gathright.
    Gathright was an asset while hitting .307/.371/.342 in 228 at-bats for the Royals in 2007, but he fell off to .254/.311/.272 in 279 at-bats last season. We could see the speedster ending up in the NL West with the Rockies or Padres. The Reds are another possibility, though they'll probably target Willy Taveras first.

Ty Wigginton-3B- Astros
    Astros non-tendered third baseman Ty Wigginton.
    The Astros have opted to tender Brandon Backe, Tim Byrdak, Wandy Rodriguez, Geoff Geary, Jose Valverde and Humberto Quintero. Wigginton gets the boot even after hitting .285/.350/.526 in 386 at-bats last season. The Twins are one team that could sign him to play third base, but he'd probably be more valuable in the outfield. The Astros figure to go in search of a cheap third baseman. They do have Geoff Blum, but he's a weak option. They might actually be better off grabbing a shortstop (Juan Uribe?) and moving Miguel Tejada to third base.

Clay Hensley-R- Padres
    Padres non-tendered RHP Clay Hensley.
    Hensley went 11-10 with a 3.56 ERA in 29 starts for the Padres in 2006, but he hurt his shoulder in 2007 and didn't show his former stuff after coming back last season. He's not hopeless yet, but the Padres weren't going to go to arbitration with him. The Reds are one of the teams that may try to pick him up.
    I concur captain.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

The words "Willy Tavares" and "ideal leadoff hitter" should never be in the same sentence unless "is not an" is placed inbetween.

As in: Willy Tavares is not an ideal leadoff hitter.

Turn Off Ads?