Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any chance Reds stand pat at SS?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Any chance Reds stand pat at SS?

At this point, it looks like we'll have to reach to find a SS. Either overpaying for a FA or giving too much away in a trade. Trust me, I would like nothing more than for the Reds to find a legit, young SS. But I just don't see it happening. Last report was that Alex Gonzalez would be ready for spring training. Going into the season with him as the starting shortstop is akin to playing Russian Roulette, but it might happen. And the Reds might think they have decent depth at the position with Keppinger, Janish and maybe even Valaika (I know most think he will be a 2B in the Bigs, but he's been a SS in the minors up to this point).

I could see the Reds waiting out the final year of A-Gon's inflated contract before going after a big-time SS next offseason. Actually, I hope I'm wrong, I would like to see a solution this season. But considering Gonzalez is on the books for $5 million and there are other options available behind him, I could definitely see our Reds standing pat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any chance Reds stand pat at SS?

My thoughts exactly. Most of the options out there are no better than what they already have.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

If he's healthy enough I'd be willing to give A-Gon the playing time.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I've thought since the beginning that they'd end up staying put on the SS situation. The only change I can even POSSIBLY see is moving Phillips to SS. And even that I think is a stretch. I'd LIKE to see it, but I don't think it will happen. I think they'll bide thier time and see what we've really got in the minors in terms of SS, 3B & 2B as in who holds onto what positions.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I've said for a bit now that shortstop was at the bottom of the list. Gonzo without the family problem and injuries would have been fine. If something comes along, without a heavy price tag, I think they'll try something else, but it won't be until Spring Training, IMO. There remain other higher priorities.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Bat Janish 8. At least the defense will be good at an important position.

I don't believe that shortstop is a huge issue for the 2009 season.

If we happen to nab one between now and Opening Day, fantastic! But I think there are more pressing needs to address. Catcher (which was addressed), a run producing bat to play left field and another starting pitcher are my priorities. Shortstop would fit in after those three.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I've said for a bit now that shortstop was at the bottom of the list. Gonzo without the family problem and injuries would have been fine. If something comes along, without a heavy price tag, I think they'll try something else, but it won't be until Spring Training, IMO. There remain other higher priorities.
    how can it be at the bottom of the list. we don't have anyone on the 40 man roster who can play the position defensively other than Janish and he can't OPS .600

walt states Gonzo is his man for 2009. i am not sure Gonzo will play again.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    how can it be at the bottom of the list. we don't have anyone on the 40 man roster who can play the position defensively other than Janish and he can't OPS .600

Precisely my take on it.

It doesn't matter how much we are paying AGon, there are serious questions whether he will be healthy enough to play next year, and if he can, whether he can still provide anything resembling above average defense. Even in the best case scenerio, you aren't getting more than 120 games out of him.

It doesn't matter whether Jeff Keppinger and/or Hairston (if re-signed) manned the position last year. I doubt if you could find even a handful of scouts that think they are even passible defensively. Neither should play shortstop except in an absolute emergency.

So we are left with Janish. If he can provide near gold glove defense and Dusty can resist the urge to bat him 2nd, then maybe that resembles a plan. But even then you need a SS at AAA.

The way I see it they need to acquire one above average defensive shortstop. That shortstop will either get significant playing time for the Reds or will play every day at AAA. It doesn't have to be a long-term-solution type of guy, although that certainly would be nice.

I don't get it...Keppinger is no Ozzie Smith and no Cal Ripken for that matter but the fact is he made the routine play, turned the double play, and was "our" best right handed hitter(before injury). Kepp was the one guy we could count on to put the ball in play(still for a high average) in the midst of a bunch of strike out artists.

If I'm filling out the depth chart and taking into consideration Gonzo's injury and time since he last played he's behind Kepp until he shows he's back to form(which if I recall most here seemed to think was overrated to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    While I have my doubts about how good Gonzo will be next year, the Reds have his medical records and we don't. I think they have a much firmer grasp on his health than we do.

The more I think about it, the more I think we stand pat at shortstop.

Well he is a slightly above average fielding shortstop according to UZR and the Fielding Bible. This upcoming season Marcel projects him to have a .743 OPS this season, I don't know where to find Bill James projections. I am a member of his site but I don't know if he posts them on there of it they are released only in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While I have my doubts about how good Gonzo will be next year, the Reds have his medical records and we don't. I think they have a much firmer grasp on his health than we do.
    While that may be true the most recent report is that he is not going to be playing winter ball as planned. That seems to me to be a bad sign.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    While that may be true the most recent report is that he is not going to be playing winter ball as planned. That seems to me to be a bad sign.

Rem
    If they don't think he will make it back then I'm sure that they are searching for a SS. It seems we have a competent GM right now. If Gonzalez can come back and play above average SS and hit .260/.325 I think we could manage if we fill the spot in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    If they don't think he will make it back then I'm sure that they are searching for a SS. It seems we have a competent GM right now. If Gonzalez can come back and play above average SS and hit .260/.325 I think we could manage if we fill the spot in LF.

Competent GM ? Track record backs you on that , but his body of work so far with the Red's has been minimal up to this point. I miss WayneK I believe he got the shaft
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?