Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Some Non-tenders to consider

  1. #1
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    964

    Some Non-tenders to consider

    Here are some guys that may interest some of you:

    1)Ty Wigginton- this guy bats RH can play 3b/1b/OF although he's not a plus defender. The guy has decent power, and offensive numbers but if he signed with us could he be our LF and occasionally spell Votto at first?

    2)Willy Tavares-RH CF plays great defense can steal 60+bases would be the ideal leadoff hitter this team needs, but he had a down year in Colorado as his OBP was fairly low.

    3)Clay Hensley-RHSP that Jocketty had interest in earlier in the summer, he's coming back from injury as he only pitched 39 innings of relief last year, but did pitch 180+ in 2006 and had solid numbers. His GB/FB ratio is ideal for GABP, I think he has a good chance of being a RED in 09!

    4)Angel Berroa-RH SS- released by the Dodgers, had a nice year a few years back with KC, could be an adequate backup to Gonzo and spell him on occasion, would be relatively cheap.

    thoughts?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Tavaras: Not interested.

    Rem

  4. #3
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Here are some guys that may interest some of you:

    1)Ty Wigginton- this guy bats RH can play 3b/1b/OF although he's not a plus defender. The guy has decent power, and offensive numbers but if he signed with us could he be our LF and occasionally spell Votto at first?

    2)Willy Tavares-RH CF plays great defense can steal 60+bases would be the ideal leadoff hitter this team needs, but he had a down year in Colorado as his OBP was fairly low.

    3)Clay Hensley-RHSP that Jocketty had interest in earlier in the summer, he's coming back from injury as he only pitched 39 innings of relief last year, but did pitch 180+ in 2006 and had solid numbers. His GB/FB ratio is ideal for GABP, I think he has a good chance of being a RED in 09!

    4)Angel Berroa-RH SS- released by the Dodgers, had a nice year a few years back with KC, could be an adequate backup to Gonzo and spell him on occasion, would be relatively cheap.

    thoughts?
    close to list I had on guys I would like , course i added them to the long thread on non tender guys , but it is not about Dusty it is far more pass on Taveras for god's sake!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  5. #4
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    here is the full list according to a post on Fay's blog comments:

    SP Lance Cormier
    C Jamie Burke
    RP Joe Nelson
    RP Mario Alvarez
    OF Norris Hopper
    C Robby Hammock
    RP Wil Ledezma
    OF Jeff Salazar
    RP Chris Britton
    OF Justin Christian
    RP Takashi Saito
    RP Scott Proctor
    RP Yhency Brazoban
    OF Reggie Abercrombie
    SP Daniel Cabrera
    RP Denny Bautista
    SS Angel Berroa
    UTIL Chris Burke
    SP Chris Capauno
    SP Tim Redding
    SP Chuck James
    UTIL Ty Wigginton
    OF Willy Taveras
    C Kevin Cash
    RP Clay Hensley
    SP Chuck Haeger
    DH Jonny Gomes
    RP Gary Majewski
    RP Matt Belisle
    RP Doug Mathis
    RP Randy Flores
    RP Tyler Johnson
    2B Aaron Miles
    OF Joey Gathright
    RP John Bale
    SP Scott Matheison
    RP Ambiorix Burgos
    2B Argenis Reyes
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  6. #5
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    You simply can't put Willy T on the roster because of the man that was hired at manager. It's so sad that the Reds GM has to consider the fact that basically a 5 year old is managing the Reds and you can't afford to put bad players on the roster because he will probably bat them first or second (see Patterson, Janish). Maybe that's a good thing for the Reds? It will convince WJ to not put terrible players on the roster for fear that Dusty will start them?

    I know that the Reds have their flaws, and I'm not blaming management for their lack of success in past years, but I don't know if I can handle another season of such unbelievably awful management.

  7. #6
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    6,080

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Not Berroa, please!!! Horrible attitude problems, KC was glad to dump him. Takes it easy on way too many plays, if losing he just packs it in. Really. I hated the guy when he was on the Royals.

  8. #7
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not Berroa, please!!! Horrible attitude problems, KC was glad to dump him. Takes it easy on way too many plays, if losing he just packs it in. Really. I hated the guy when he was on the Royals.
    But it's the Royals , sorry but that could get any man down over time
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  9. #8
    Cruisin' for trouble
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,290

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    I wonder if Daniel Cabrera could make it in the bullpen. He did show flashes last year and always seems to be close to realizing his potential.

  10. #9
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Willy Taveras for leadoff hitter? Are you channeling The Dustinator, by chance?

    Last edited by WMR; 12-13-2008 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #10
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    since the Reds are dipping into the dumpster, here's the guys I'd like to be considered

    Aaron Miles-2B- Cardinals
    Cardinals non-tendered infielder Aaron Miles.
    All 42 non-tendered players are now listed below. Miles was non-tendered last year and re-signed to a $1.4 million contract a few weeks later. The Cardinals would probably like to have him back at a modest raise, but they weren't going to risk paying him $2.5 million or so after his best offensive season to date (.317/.355/.398 in 379 at-bats). As loved as he is by some for his scrappiness, it'd be no surprise to see him land a starting job at second base.


    Joey Gathright-OF- Royals
    Royals non-tendered outfielder Joey Gathright.
    Gathright was an asset while hitting .307/.371/.342 in 228 at-bats for the Royals in 2007, but he fell off to .254/.311/.272 in 279 at-bats last season. We could see the speedster ending up in the NL West with the Rockies or Padres. The Reds are another possibility, though they'll probably target Willy Taveras first.



    Ty Wigginton-3B- Astros
    Astros non-tendered third baseman Ty Wigginton.
    The Astros have opted to tender Brandon Backe, Tim Byrdak, Wandy Rodriguez, Geoff Geary, Jose Valverde and Humberto Quintero. Wigginton gets the boot even after hitting .285/.350/.526 in 386 at-bats last season. The Twins are one team that could sign him to play third base, but he'd probably be more valuable in the outfield. The Astros figure to go in search of a cheap third baseman. They do have Geoff Blum, but he's a weak option. They might actually be better off grabbing a shortstop (Juan Uribe?) and moving Miguel Tejada to third base.


    Clay Hensley-R- Padres
    Padres non-tendered RHP Clay Hensley.
    Hensley went 11-10 with a 3.56 ERA in 29 starts for the Padres in 2006, but he hurt his shoulder in 2007 and didn't show his former stuff after coming back last season. He's not hopeless yet, but the Padres weren't going to go to arbitration with him. The Reds are one of the teams that may try to pick him up.

  12. #11
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Good Lord!

    That's a scary bunch.


  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    RP Yhency Brazoban
    SP Daniel Cabrera
    SS Angel Berroa
    UTIL Chris Burke
    SP Chris Capauno
    SP Tim Redding
    UTIL Ty Wigginton
    OF Willy Taveras
    RP Clay Hensley
    DH Jonny Gomes
    2B Aaron Miles
    OF Joey Gathright

    That is the list of guys I'd at least take a look at. I think how Dusty would handle some of these guys is a big issue, but some of these guys could add value at minimal contracts.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    But it's the Royals , sorry but that could get any man down over time
    I think the Reds and Royals are pretty much in the same class anymore.

  15. #14
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    since the Reds are dipping into the dumpster, here's the guys I'd like to be considered

    Aaron Miles-2B- Cardinals
    Cardinals non-tendered infielder Aaron Miles.
    All 42 non-tendered players are now listed below. Miles was non-tendered last year and re-signed to a $1.4 million contract a few weeks later. The Cardinals would probably like to have him back at a modest raise, but they weren't going to risk paying him $2.5 million or so after his best offensive season to date (.317/.355/.398 in 379 at-bats). As loved as he is by some for his scrappiness, it'd be no surprise to see him land a starting job at second base.


    Joey Gathright-OF- Royals
    Royals non-tendered outfielder Joey Gathright.
    Gathright was an asset while hitting .307/.371/.342 in 228 at-bats for the Royals in 2007, but he fell off to .254/.311/.272 in 279 at-bats last season. We could see the speedster ending up in the NL West with the Rockies or Padres. The Reds are another possibility, though they'll probably target Willy Taveras first.



    Ty Wigginton-3B- Astros
    Astros non-tendered third baseman Ty Wigginton.
    The Astros have opted to tender Brandon Backe, Tim Byrdak, Wandy Rodriguez, Geoff Geary, Jose Valverde and Humberto Quintero. Wigginton gets the boot even after hitting .285/.350/.526 in 386 at-bats last season. The Twins are one team that could sign him to play third base, but he'd probably be more valuable in the outfield. The Astros figure to go in search of a cheap third baseman. They do have Geoff Blum, but he's a weak option. They might actually be better off grabbing a shortstop (Juan Uribe?) and moving Miguel Tejada to third base.


    Clay Hensley-R- Padres
    Padres non-tendered RHP Clay Hensley.
    Hensley went 11-10 with a 3.56 ERA in 29 starts for the Padres in 2006, but he hurt his shoulder in 2007 and didn't show his former stuff after coming back last season. He's not hopeless yet, but the Padres weren't going to go to arbitration with him. The Reds are one of the teams that may try to pick him up.
    I concur captain.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  16. #15
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,226

    Re: Some Non-tenders to consider!

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    2)Willy Tavares-RH CF plays great defense can steal 60+bases would be the ideal leadoff hitter this team needs, but he had a down year in Colorado as his OBP was fairly low.

    The words "Willy Tavares" and "ideal leadoff hitter" should never be in the same sentence unless "is not an" is placed inbetween.

    As in: Willy Tavares is not an ideal leadoff hitter.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25