Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look at this possible Reds lineup

Look at this possible Reds lineup

Heres is a lineup that looks good and the money would work also. First Ill start with the trades and FA signing I would do if i was Walt.

Trade Freel for Hernandez(already traded)
    trade EE to the giants for Sanchez
    trade Arroyo to the Braves for Escobar
    trade bailey and Keppinger to the Rocks for Atkins
    Sign Rhodes(already signed)
    sign Taveras to play CF
    sign Burrell to play LF
    sign Looper to be the 4th starter
    resign Hairston JR.
    sign a FA bat that can play IN to come off the bench

Lineup would look like this:
    C- Hernandez
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    3B- Atkins ( wasnt sure what he made so i figured 9 mil.)
    SS- Gonzo if hes healty Hairston JR if not
    LF- Burrell ( thats giving him 12 to 13 mil a year)
    Cf- Taveras (Id give him 2 to 3 mil a year nothing more)
    RF- Bruce
    Batting order:
    1) Taveras
    2) Phillips
    3) Votto
    4) Burell
    5) Bruce
    6) Atkins
    7) Hernandez
    8) Gonzo
    thats 35 mil. in the lineup

Next the starting rotation
    1) Harang
    2) Volquez
    3) Cueto
    4) Looper ( 7 mil a year deal)
    5) Sanchez
    thats about 21 mil if Looper can be signed for about 7 mil a year

next the bullpen
    Cl- Cordero
    R- Burton
    R- Lincoln
    R- Weathers
    R- Owings
    L- Rhodes
    L- Bray
    a good BP that will cost about 21 mil.

now the bench
    Hairston Jr- IN/OF (sign him for 2 mil. a year)
    Dickerson- OF
    Hannigan- C
    Castillo- IN/OF
    FA Infielder- ( 2 mil for a FA utility guy)
    thats a solid bench for about about 6 mil.

Looks solid to me a lineup that could get he Reds in the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Look at this possible Reds lineup

What about escobar? You traded for him and didn't even put him on your own team. And Taveras would be better off batting ninth or, ideally, playing for some other team seeing as he is OBP deficient. Atkins is arguably just as bad as EE at third and has unfavorable home/road splits, so I would say it is a gamble to trade for him, especially if you are giving up Homer Bailey. Burrell is a good signing, but I don't think Jockety wants to add a bat like that thru free agency especially since Raul Ibanez got 10 million per.

The bullpen is good and the rotation would be at least middle of the road depending on how sanchez pans out, but the defense in CF,LF and 3B is still an issue.
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

I agree, Atkins is a nice player but he's not THAT much of an improvement over EE and if Bailey and another player are traded for offense I'd rather it be for Dye. The only asset Taveras has is speed and his hammies have been a problem in the past which isn't good for a player that relies so much on his legs. If Arroyo was dealt for Escobar it would be like xmass early but if he's on the team he should be the starter which makes Agon an expensive backup unless you can find a team willing to take him.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I dont understand the love with atkins. He is just as bad defensively as EE and 4 years older. At least there is some hope for EE to get better atkins is what he is. Offensively EE probably has more power but atkins does hit for a higher average, of course he does it in colorado. I see no reason to trade a pretty solid pitcher in arroyo for a third baseman whos about the same as the one we have with no upside.

RotoHester

I think I just read recently that the Braves have decided against trading Escobar. As much as I would love to have him it doesn't look possible any more

He was suppose to be at SS with Gonzo in the utility role.

Pat Burrell? gag me.

Put Edwin in Left Field.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    He was suppose to be at SS with Gonzo in the utility role.
    Kinda pricey for a backup but since it would only be one season I could live with that. If only the Braves would deal him for only Arroyo...
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Here's to hoping Ramon Hernandez isn't as lazy and defensively challenged as the O's portray him to be. Those toss in prospects were pretty good to get a hack in return.

Arroyo won't get a sniff from the Braves where Escobar is concerned. They'd like Harang but not for any of their prized prospects or Escobar.

Giant fans would crucify Sabean if he sent Sanchez to Cincinnati for only Encarnacion rumor has it he's not available any longer but you know that can change if the price is right.

I'm ok with the Burrell signing as a stopgap. My preference would be to contact the Twins and see if their #4 OF is available , reasonably, since the Reds are he!! bent on having a RH bat in LF. We already have "choir boys" now we need to add some good ballplayers with a bit of a mean streak.

Prying Atkins away from the Rox would take a package similar to Bailey, Thompson, Francisco and a high ceiling A prospect. Ummmm, thanks but NO THANKS. Edwin will be just fine till Frazier is ready in 2010. He can make the spectacular it’s the routine throws that seem to be a thorn in his side.

Looper as #5 starter is ok but what about Randy Wolfe, he's LH, something our rotation really could use and two years younger than Looper. Thought about Oliver Perez but not willing to give him money and lose draft picks next year as well, especially to one of the evil empires known as the Mets or Yanks.

All for resigning Hairston as the super sub, hopefully last year was true and no falling back to mean over his career.

I'm wanting Stubbs in CF on opening day, but as a stopgap to him I guess Taveras's defense and speed are a bit intriguing even though he's OBP challenged.

Heres is a lineup that looks good and the money would work also. First Ill start with the trades and FA signing I would do if i was Walt.

sign Taveras to play CF
    sign Burrell to play LF
    resign Hairston JR.

C- Hernandez
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    RF- Bruce
    Batting order:
    1) Taveras
    2) Phillips
    3) Votto
    4) Burell
    5) Bruce
    6) Atkins
    7) Hernandez
    8) Gonzo

1) Harang
    2) Volquez
    3) Cueto
    5) Sanchez

next the bullpen
    Cl- Cordero
    R- Burton
    R- Lincoln
    R- Weathers
    R- Owings
    L- Rhodes
    L- Bray

now the bench
    Dickerson- OF
    Hannigan- C
    Castillo- IN/OF

No way the Braves are gunna trade Escobar for Arroyo. I'm not a big Bailey fan but him AND Keppinger for Atkins? I feel people on this board have highly overrated Atkins still based on his status when he was a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRed44 View Post
    Here's to hoping Ramon Hernandez isn't as lazy and defensively challenged as the O's portray him to be. Those toss in prospects were pretty good to get a hack in return.

Arroyo won't get a sniff from the Braves where Escobar is concerned. They'd like Harang but not for any of their prized prospects or Escobar.

Giant fans would crucify Sabean if he sent Sanchez to Cincinnati for only Encarnacion rumor has it he's not available any longer but you know that can change if the price is right.

I'm ok with the Burrell signing as a stopgap. My preference would be to contact the Twins and see if their #4 OF is available , reasonably, since the Reds are he!! bent on having a RH bat in LF. We already have "choir boys" now we need to add some good ballplayers with a bit of a mean streak.

Prying Atkins away from the Rox would take a package similar to Bailey, Thompson, Francisco and a high ceiling A prospect. Ummmm, thanks but NO THANKS. Edwin will be just fine till Frazier is ready in 2010. He can make the spectacular it’s the routine throws that seem to be a thorn in his side.

Looper as #5 starter is ok but what about Randy Wolfe, he's LH, something our rotation really could use and two years younger than Looper. Thought about Oliver Perez but not willing to give him money and lose draft picks next year as well, especially to one of the evil empires known as the Mets or Yanks.

All for resigning Hairston as the super sub, hopefully last year was true and no falling back to mean over his career.

I'm wanting Stubbs in CF on opening day, but as a stopgap to him I guess Taveras's defense and speed are a bit intriguing even though he's OBP challenged.
    I agree 87.5% with the lone exception your choice for centerfield. Stubbs can have his shot in 2010. I'd like to see what Dickerson does in a full season this year.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-15-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I agree — why is everybody forgetting about Dickerson in center? He had a great debut at the end of last year, both offensively and defensively (albeit mostly in LF). Give the kid a shot.

sign Taveras to play CF
    sign Burrell to play LF
    resign Hairston JR.

C- Hernandez
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    RF- Bruce
    Batting order:
    1) Taveras
    2) Phillips
    3) Votto
    4) Burell
    5) Bruce
    6) Atkins
    7) Hernandez
    8) Gonzo

1) Harang
    2) Volquez
    3) Cueto
    5) Sanchez

next the bullpen
    Cl- Cordero
    R- Burton
    R- Lincoln
    R- Weathers
    R- Owings
    L- Rhodes
    L- Bray

now the bench
    Dickerson- OF
    Hannigan- C
    Castillo- IN/OF

O.k. you want to trade Bailey, Keppinger, Arroyo, and EE. EE is better than Atkins and Arroyo isn't that bad. I like the Taveras and Burrel idea though. I would start Dickerson over Taveras because Dickerson had a good offensive and deffensive end of year. I know Bailey has been a disappointment but the guy has 1st starter potential, give a guy with that much potential a chance.
    Last edited by WillRich; 12-15-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    twitter- @willrich_116

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanwill View Post
    O.k. you want to trade Bailey, Keppinger, Arroyo, and EE. EE is better than Atkins and Arroyo isn't that bad. I'd be ok with Hariston, Burrel, and Taveras. I like the Taveras and Burrel idea though. I would start Dickerson over Taveras because Dickerson had a good offensive and deffensive end of year. I also like Castillo and I know Bailey has been a disappointment but the guy has 1st starter potential, give a guy with that much potential a chance.
    What is there to like I can't see it.

Well those two (Burrell & Taveras) DO have one thing in common: their defense.

Turn Off Ads?