Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submarine Movies

Submarine Movies

What are you favorite sub movies? I'm a history teacher and my students enjoy sub movies.

My favorites are
    1. Crimson Tide
    2. K-19 The Widowmaker
    3. The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot is a movie that everyone should see at least once, but its pretty bad when it puts BOTH the students and the teacher to sleep!

U-571 is a decent movie. Take out the pretty boy factor of McCounaahough or whatever his name is and Jon Bon Jovi and it is a decent sub movie.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Submarine Movies

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    What are you favorite sub movies? I'm a history teacher and my students enjoy sub movies.

My favorites are
    1. Crimson Tide
    2. K-19 The Widowmaker
    3. The Hunt for Red October

Das Boot is a movie that everyone should see at least once, but its pretty bad when it puts BOTH the students and the teacher to sleep!

U-571 is a decent movie. Take out the pretty boy factor of McCounaahough or whatever his name is and Jon Bon Jovi and it is a decent sub movie.
    Das Boot and only Das Boot.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Yellow Submarine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yellow Submarine.
    Excellent!

How about "Run Silent, Run Deep?"

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

THFRO is the best Sub movie of all time and the title made for a few clever Reds t-shirts. Crimson Tide and Das Boot take close seconds.

McCongahegey (or however the hell you spell his freaking name) ruined U-571. He's much better served eating shrimp with his mouth open, wearing shirts half-unbuttoned and mis-pronouncing "Roark." I cannot stand that guy.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    THFRO is the best Sub movie of all time and the title made for a few clever Reds t-shirts. Crimson Tide and Das Boot take close seconds.

McCongahegey (or however the hell you spell his freaking name) ruined U-571. He's much better served eating shrimp with his mouth open, wearing shirts half-unbuttoned and mis-pronouncing "Roark." I cannot stand that guy.
    A buddy of mine did some of the sound design for THFRO. They did a lot of recording in a swimming pool and to get the mics underwater, they had to put condoms over them. Every morning, they sent a young female intern to the drugstore to get a big box of condoms for the day's work.

I'm told the intern got some interesting looks at the register!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

And you just know they didn't buy the condoms in bulk for that very reason...
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The Enemy Below - excellent WWII flick told from both the American destroyer (Robert Mitchum) and German u-boat (Curt Jurgens) POVs.

The Bedford Incident - excellent Cold War movie with a obsessed American captain (Richard Widmark) hunting a Russian sub. Excellent supporting cast with Sidney Poitier.

Operation Petticoat - Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, and nurses on board a pink submarine.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I consider Down Periscope to be a "guilty pleasure" movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yellow Submarine.
    Now we know what the "R" stands for, Ringo.

Das Boot is probably the most gritty and accurate sub movie made, but damn it's boring.

The Hunt for Red October was no where near good as the book, but few movies are. I think my view of the movie might have been flavored by the book (which I read about 900 times, almost as many as Red Storm Rising, which I virtually memorized) so it helped offset the dreck that is Alec Baldwin. Sean Conery didn't hurt either.

U571 was an action movie that just happened to have a sub in it. Harvey Kitel's performance is about the only thing that keeps it counting as a "sub movie".

There was a John Wayne WWII sub movie that while being a John Wayne movie was so-so. Can't recall the title, however.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

There was a John Wayne WWII sub movie that while being a John Wayne movie was so-so. Can't recall the title, however.
    Operation Pacific (1951)-John Wayne, Patricia Neal, Ward Bond
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I didn't think Das Boot was boring.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I consider Down Periscope to be a "guilty pleasure" movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on.
    You aren't alone.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I didn't think Das Boot was boring.
    I didn't either. Das Boot is one of my favorite movies period. Also, add me to the list of people who watch "Down Periscope" as a guilty pleasure.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?