69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Horst

26 37.68%
  • Travis Wood

43 62.32%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prospect #25 runoff vote

Re: Prospect #25 runoff vote

This should be a separate thread but those who enjoy following the Reds minor league system might keep an eye out Monday. My sources tell me there will be an announcement that you will find at least interesting and maybe very exciting regarding a 2009 event.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    This should be a separate thread but those who enjoy following the Reds minor league system might keep an eye out Monday. My sources tell me there will be an announcement that you will find at least interesting and maybe very exciting regarding a 2009 event.
    I heard of an announcement for Monday, but no one would say a peep about what it was other than it was going to be big for Dayton and the Reds.... I am quite curious.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I heard of an announcement for Monday, but no one would say a peep about what it was other than it was going to be big for Dayton and the Reds.... I am quite curious.
    WHIO Channel 7 News here in the Miami Valley just made mention of it as well, but like our good friend redsof72 didn't let the cat out of the bag. What could be so big that not even our own will tell us? I assume he knows maybe he doesn't. Anyway what do you all think this could be? I'm thinking maybe a Dragonsfest or something held in Dayton with a bunch of Reds there as well. But that really doesn't make much sense IMO if it's something we'll all be excited about.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

CNN has declared Travis Wood the winner. Horst just called to congratulate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    WHIO Channel 7 News here in the Miami Valley just made mention of it as well, but like our good friend redsof72 didn't let the cat out of the bag. What could be so big that not even our own will tell us? I assume he knows maybe he doesn't. Anyway what do you all think this could be? I'm thinking maybe a Dragonsfest or something held in Dayton with a bunch of Reds there as well. But that really doesn't make much sense IMO if it's something we'll all be excited about.
    I am thinking something to the extent of either a 'futures' type game like what they will have in Carolina this year or maybe an exhibition game between the Reds and another MLB team in late March right before the season begins.... something like that. Can't wait to actually find out what it is though.

I don't know what the status of the partnership is but could it be something as simple as an extension of dayton as a Reds affiliate?

edit: ahh nevermind, he DID say an "event".
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-15-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Jeremy Horst

More of a "what have you done for me lately" vote than anything

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am thinking something to the extent of either a 'futures' type game like what they will have in Carolina this year or maybe an exhibition game between the Reds and another MLB team in late March right before the season begins.... something like that. Can't wait to actually find out what it is though.
    They would have announced something like that already

But on the other hand the Reds do have an open exhibition slot on their ST Schedule

If it happens, I hope it doesn't suck as much as the last one did

I will probably be at whatever they are having due to my employment at the stadium

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

DAYTON — Nearly 100 players in the Cincinnati Reds' minor league system played at some point for the Class A Dayton Dragons, and many of them will return to Fifth Third Field on Saturday, April 4, for a unique organizational Futures game to be played against the parent Reds.

The game will be played in the afternoon, but no time has been set as yet.

This morning, Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty and farm director Terry Reynolds are to outline the details of the game at a Fifth Third Field media conference.

Although the Reds won't know until the final week of spring training which players will be in Dayton, they'll want to highlight some of their better prospects, such as Todd Frazier, Drew Stubbs, Juan Francisco, Chris Valaika, Zack Cozart and Devin Mesoraco.

Dragons fans might also be interested in first baseman Yonder Alonso, who was the Reds' first-round draft choice last season but signed too late to be assigned here. Instead, Alonso was sent to Sarasota for post-draft workouts and eventually played in a few games with the high Class A Reds team there.

It is unlikely the Reds will assign Alonso to the Dragons for this season.

Dragons President Bob Murphy said the idea of a Futures game grew out of an end-of-season meeting with the Reds discussing how the Reds could better market themselves in the Dayton area and beyond.

Murphy said it would also be good for the Dragons' organization.

"I want to bring really cool events to the city of Dayton," Murphy said. "This will be great for our loyal fans. It will be a big deal. We're going to have special uniforms and commemorative gifts. Nothing like this has been done before."

The Reds like the idea so much, they're going to hold a similar game the day before, on April 3, at their new Class AA site in North Carolina. A major difference will be, none of the players will have come up through the Carolina team.

The Reds also should have plenty of former Dragons on their roster. During this past season, 13 made the club at one point, although at least two of them — outfielder Adam Dunn and pitcher Todd Coffey — won't be back. Dunn is now with the Diamondbacks and Coffey with the Brewers.

Other former Dragons who played for the Reds this season were Chris Dickerson, Joey Votto, Ryan Hanigan, Jay Bruce, Edwin Encarnacion, Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, Homer Bailey, Ramon Ramirez, Johnny Cueto and Daryl Thompson.

Oh Goody

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Jeremy Horst

More of a "what have you done for me lately" vote than anything
    Well, since he's only been around for two years, and pitched in 53 games, "lately" is pretty much all he's got. But if you must: For his career, he has a 2.63 ERA. For his career, he has a 1.17 WHIP. For his career, he has 165 K in 143.2 IP. For his career, he's 11-4. Wood can't touch any of those numbers.

Now, Wood started young and he has pitched a lot more innings and he has dealt with injuries. I'm not disputing his prospect status. I'm just disputing the statement.

Wood has had too many arm issues -- couple that with pretty dreadful performance in AA last year and I have to go with the healthy arm here. One guy's trajectory is quickly improving, the other's sinking. I can see no reason to be counter-intuitive in this case.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Wood won in a landslide. The next poll will be open soon.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?