Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What happens to Junior in 2009?

What happens to Junior in 2009?

I imagine he ends up in Seattle, but apparently that is not a sure thing. The Mariner front office is split on bringing him back. Perhaps that is just a ploy to put themselves squarely in the driver's seat for negotiations, but what if Seattle falls through for Junior? Where do you think Junior would land if not Seattle? Maybe Tampa Bay? Maybe retire? With the Reds needing an outfielder or two, does he even approach the Reds? Any thoughts on Junior at this point?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What happens to Junior in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I imagine he ends up in Seattle, but apparently that is not a sure thing. The Mariner front office is split on bringing him back. Perhaps that is just a ploy to put themselves squarely in the driver's seat for negotiations, but what if Seattle falls through for Junior? Where do you think Junior would land if not Seattle? Maybe Tampa Bay? Maybe retire? With the Reds needing an outfielder or two, does he even approach the Reds? Any thoughts on Junior at this point?
    I think Tampa would work a lot better for him than it would for Tampa. The Rays have several other options that would have to fall through before turning to Junior, but it's a slight possibility I suppose. There's no way he comes back to Cincy, and I'd be surprised to see him in Seattle even.

The Mariners are trying to rebuild and change the culture there, and the homecoming would wear off really fast once the fans realized how much his game has slipped. I can't see Griffey even putting a dent in the ticket sales, and that would really be the only reason for the Mariners to bring him in, strict marketing purposes.

JoJo if you read this, any news on the Jr. to Seattle front?

I don't know, but I hope Junior gets to play with a good team next year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Jr has no leverage. My guess is finding a job will not be easy.

Good question. It's been very quiet on the JR. front.

It's hard to figure where he'll end up. It's not going to be here. I doubt he'd go back to Seattle because I think it'd be more of pity party for the end of JR's career rather than him going for a ring. What about filling in as a 4th OF/DH for NYY or BOS for $2-$3 million/year? He'd be a good bench player still. NYY and BOS are always legitimate World Series contenders so I'd guess he'd take the pay cut more willingly to go to either of those two teams.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    What about filling in as a 4th OF/DH for NYY or BOS for $2-$3 million/year? He'd be a good bench player still. NYY and BOS are always legitimate World Series contenders so I'd guess he'd take the pay cut more willingly to go to either of those two teams.
    I can see this happening. Boston needs outfield depth with Crisp gone, and Griffey would fit into the outfield rotation though they would probably prefer a right handed bat to complement lefties Ellsbury and Drew.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Jim Bowden collects former Reds as well all know and if Griffey, Jr. swallows his pride and wants a paycheck he'll sign with the Nationals. I expect if he doesn't retire, Junior will sign for one year with the Mariners (what do they have to lose?) and receive once again the praise he richly deserves for the numbers he put up with Seattle. The Rays would make sense for KGJ (lives in Orlando) but Tampa Bay doesn't need him.

He has made his fortune but I think it's still 50-50 that he plays in '09. After making diving catches in centerfield for the White Sox perhaps he still has something left in the tank.

Regardless, I wish him well.

this is way out there probably but the f'ing Cubs need a lefty bat and Lou IS there.....

He needs to be in Tampa. It's home.

Wouldn't be shocked if he just waits until the last minute, signs, then reports.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    He needs to be in Tampa. It's home.

Wouldn't be shocked if he just waits until the last minute, signs, then reports.
    This is from today's Tampa Tribune:

Free agents on their shopping list include Jason Giambi, Milton Bradley, Pat Burrell, Adam Dunn, Garret Anderson and Ken Griffey Jr. They also have spoken with Bobby Abreu's agent, but Friedman indicated it was much more likely the Rays would go after someone who would primarily serve as the DH. At this point, it appears right field will be the domain of some combination of Joyce, Gabe Gross, Fernando Perez and Justin Ruggiano.
    I would love to see him sign with the Rays.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

He'll sign a 1-year deal with an AL team for cheap. Incentives attached.

If it's not the Mariners or Rays, I could see just about any AL mid-market team signing him just to possibly help with ticket sales (even though he's washed up -- getting a future HOFer and guy with over 600 HRs would help someone like the Royals possibly get some extra butts in the seats). Griffey will be a backup OF that can DH every once in a while, start in the OF once in a while, pretty much what he did with the White Sox. It's too bad he didn't put up better numbers with the White Sox. If he would have, someone would have been dumb enough to give him a decent contract for 1 year. Now he's going to have to play for scraps (and incentives) but I don't think he will retire. He'll play one more year.

Turn Off Ads?