Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Fisher: "Wha Happened??"

Re: Jeff Fisher: "Wha Happened??"

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Oh, it's more complex than that. Of the 223 points allowed by Pittsburgh, 18 of them were produced via INT return or Safety. However, another 15 points were the result of FG after turnover or return when the defense held the opponent to a single series of downs deep in their own territory. That shows up as a positive (as it should) in the Yards allowed. Yet, because of the starting points for those drives, it appears as a negative in the Points Allowed category (which is silly). Overall, nearly 15% of the points allowed by the Steelers had pretty much nothing to do with the defensive performance. Basically, Pts. per Game is a poisoned well.

What defenses are tasked with is allowing few yards. That's what equal points when you clear the noise away. And that's where Tennessee is good (4th in the NFL in Yards per Play- 4.50), but it's where Pittsburgh dominates (3.97 Y/P). The number 2 defense (Philly) is at 4.40 Y/P, with Baltimore 3rd at 4.49 Y/P. That's really the only thing a defense can control and when you see one team at a much better rate while playing against much better offenses than another, it's a big deal.
    The mighty Steelers couldn't do anything with the Titans.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The best defense? Please.
    You know I'm with you in spirit and fandom, Steel, and yes the Steelers have the better D, but the Titans are a better team. There I said it, now I need a shower...

(and I don't think either of them make the Super Bowl)

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The mighty Steelers couldn't do anything with the Titans.

and the game before that the mighty Titans couldn't do anything with the Texans. Bad games happen, its not like the Steelers don't even belong on the same field.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    You know I'm with you in spirit and fandom, Steel, and yes the Steelers have the better D, but the Titans are a better team. There I said it, now I need a shower...

(and I don't think either of them make the Super Bowl)
    I don't think either of them get past their first playoff games, actually. Well, unless the Steelers somehow put together something resembling a good offensive line and/or have a different offensive coordinator and/or figure out that Moore is a better option at this point than Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    and the game before that the mighty Titans couldn't do anything with the Texans. Bad games happen, its not like the Steelers don't even belong on the same field.
    Titans fans love to call "scoreboard", but when it gets to the championship round, the silence is deafening. That team is akin to someone who can get through the first couple rounds of Jeopardy, but who doesn't have any of the big money answers.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

I hate a lot of football fans. Lets argue who has the best practice field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I hate a lot of football fans. Lets argue who has the best practice field.
    make your argument...

I hear the one in dallas is nice...cincinnati not so much.

but, the best uniforms are the lions throwbacks.

I don't think either of them get past their first playoff games, actually. Well, unless the Steelers somehow put together something resembling a good offensive line and/or have a different offensive coordinator and/or figure out that Moore is a better option at this point than Parker.

the defense could carry them but it's too risky to gamble on that. it is quite disturbing how bad the offense can be with some of the talent they have.

I love Tomlin but he has some serious changes to make on the offense this offseason.

the defense could carry them but it's too risky to gamble on that. it is quite disturbing how bad the offense can be with some of the talent they have.

I love Tomlin but he has some serious changes to make on the offense this offseason.
    Yep, and it needs to start with the offensive line and continue with Ariens. The play calling has been simply baffling, particularly in short yardage situations.

And I have a suspicion that the Ravens are going to win the Super Bowl. I base this on my highly scientific process of pulling playoff QB football insert cards out of packs. It began in 2005 when I pulled a Roethisberger "road" mini-jersey out of a pack. The Manning brothers followed the next two seasons in order with inserts from Topps and Playoff packs (IIRC). So I went to the card shop this past Monday and walked out after pulling a Bowman Chrome Joe Flacco autograph. Maybe if I sell it before the playoffs start, it'll break the trend?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Maybe if I sell it before the playoffs start, it'll break the trend?
    Please give it a shot.

As far as the Steelers go, it may be an over simplification but for the past few years I've felt its all about good Ben or bad Ben showing up.

Bad Ben gives you 4-5 TO's including a couple of red zone back breakers then the Steelers lose. If good Ben shows up you may still get a couple of TO's but he keeps it limited, does some damage to the opposing D and the Steelers usually win.

Now Ben's issues have a lot to do with how much pressure a non existant run game and poor pass pro put on him but thats another topic. Its never all one thing or another but imo if they had a good OL and a power back people wouldn't be so upset about Ariens. College football or NFL, bad offense usually stems more from a bad OL than playcalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Please give it a shot.

As far as the Steelers go, it may be an over simplification but for the past few years I've felt its all about good Ben or bad Ben showing up.

Bad Ben gives you 4-5 TO's including a couple of red zone back breakers then the Steelers lose. If good Ben shows up you may still get a couple of TO's but he keeps it limited, does some damage to the opposing D and the Steelers usually win.

Now Ben's issues have a lot to do with how much pressure a non existant run game and poor pass pro put on him but thats another topic. Its never all one thing or another but imo if they had a good OL and a power back people wouldn't be so upset about Ariens. College football or NFL, bad offense usually stems more from a bad OL than playcalling.
    While I think you have good points about how a bad OL pressures everyone, including the Offensive Coordinator, Ariens has done a very poor job of adjusting to the OL weakness, IMHO. He continues to try to run inside constantly and it's pretty clear that Parker isn't as good an option versus the shiftier and more powerful Moore considering the state of the OL.

I'm of the opinion that Ariens has to, at some point, adjust the play calling to match the talent available rather than to attempt to fit it into his own philosophy. IMHO, Ariens is pretty much the opposite of Dick LeBeau.

--Ted Williams

Im pretty sure the Titans and Steelers both will be total bust in the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Im pretty sure the Titans and Steelers both will be total bust in the playoffs this year.

I hear a lot of people say that but then I look around the AFC and who's going to bust them? I think you can eliminate the AFC West and East champs after round 1. That could very well mean Indy has to play at Tenn while Baltimore has to go to Pittsburgh.

Those two sets of teams have played some close games this year but I think if they played 10 times Tenn and Pitt beat Indy and B'more 7-8 times respectively.

Maybe one goes out early but I don't see both. Not because of last weeks game but out of the 4 AFC contenders(Tenn, Pitt, Indy, B'more) I would say Tenn has the best shot because they have the best run offense. They are the most complete team and have home field but you could have said that about Pittsburgh a half dozen times over the past few years and they missed a lot of SB's.

I'm of the opinion that Ariens has to, at some point, adjust the play calling to match the talent available rather than to attempt to fit it into his own philosophy.
    And that, IMHO is what separates a average coach and a good/very good one. Ariens has shown no ability to adjust to his talent but rather expects them to adjust to his.

IMHO, Ariens is pretty much the opposite of Dick LeBeau.
    Very true. While LeBeau seems to play the same 3-4 zone blitz year in and year out, it actually changes quite often based on what the players he has can do. He takes the strengths of his players and maximizes them under his 3-4 allignment and also does a darn good job of limiting exposure to their weaknesses. There are holes in that D, but his ability to hide them and continually evolving to match what his guys do well make the holes hard to find on a weekly basis.

As for the AFC, I think no one is playing as well as Indy right now and I would pick them, even given Steel's card draw.

BTW Steel, Burn that card....

And that, IMHO is what separates a average coach and a good/very good one. Ariens has shown no ability to adjust to his talent but rather expects them to adjust to his.
    I completely agree.

Very true. While LeBeau seems to play the same 3-4 zone blitz year in and year out, it actually changes quite often based on what the players he has can do. He takes the strengths of his players and maximizes them under his 3-4 allignment and also does a darn good job of limiting exposure to their weaknesses. There are holes in that D, but his ability to hide them and continually evolving to match what his guys do well make the holes hard to find on a weekly basis.
    Yepper, again.

As for the AFC, I think no one is playing as well as Indy right now and I would pick them, even given Steel's card draw.

BTW Steel, Burn that card....
    Well, it's a $65-$70.00 card on eBay, so burning it isn't an option. But it'll go up this weekend.

--Ted Williams

I completely agree.

Yepper, again.

Well, it's a $65-$70.00 card on eBay, so burning it isn't an option. But it'll go up this weekend.
    d00d what kind of a squealer fan are you?!?!

65-70 bucks is a cheap price to pay for another super bowl. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?