Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Standings for draft purposes

Re: Standings for draft purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ok, but I think we have more good O-Lineman than LB's. But I guess you don't agree. Dhani Jones too me is a pretty good stop gap and nothing more and Jeanty isn't much either IMO. Rivers, Maualuga and Brandon Johnson/Blackstock might be interesting to watch develop.
    I agree counting on Dhani is tenuous at best.
    But the OL is in shambles. Levi's hurt all the time, and plays like he's hurt even when he's not, Whitworth's solid but Williams is getting older(though admittedly I haven't seen a drop off in his play, and Stacy Andrews wishes he could play as well as Levi does when Levi's hurt. Ghiaciuc wishes he could play as well as Andrews.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree that the offensive line problem needs to be addressed, but you're just not going to draft an offensive lineman in the first ten picks unless he's a franchise left tackle. If that franchise left tackle isn't available, then consider trading down. However, the linebacking depth is so terrible right now that spending the first pick on a player like Maualuga isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree that the offensive line problem needs to be addressed, but you're just not going to draft an offensive lineman in the first ten picks unless he's a franchise left tackle. If that franchise left tackle isn't available, then consider trading down. However, the linebacking depth is so terrible right now that spending the first pick on a player like Maualuga isn't necessarily a bad idea.
    My prerank is this:

1.Michael Oher. IMO he is a franchise left tackle. Has size and everything you would look for.

2.Andre Smith. Size is the only reason I would rate him behind Oher.

3.Rey Maualagua.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and the offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Someone mentioned Matt Stafford earlier in this thread...I have to say, being a Gator fan and watching this guy closely in SEC play, he is probably one of the most overrated QB's I have ever seen. I don't say that as a Gator fan; I would love to have Knowshon Moreno either in Orange & Black or Orange & Blue, as well as AJ Green and several of their other players. But Stafford is simply another story. I can promise you all that, if football had a sabermetrics system like basball, no stat heads would like the guy. Billy Beane would never draft him, of that I can assure you.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Someone mentioned Matt Stafford earlier in this thread...he is probably one of the most overrated QB's I have ever seen.
    He's a rich man's Ron Powlus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Someone mentioned Matt Stafford earlier in this thread...I have to say, being a Gator fan and watching this guy closely in SEC play, he is probably one of the most overrated QB's I have ever seen. I don't say that as a Gator fan; I would love to have Knowshon Moreno either in Orange & Black or Orange & Blue, as well as AJ Green and several of their other players. But Stafford is simply another story. I can promise you all that, if football had a sabermetrics system like basball, no stat heads would like the guy. Billy Beane would never draft him, of that I can assure you.
    I think he would be better served to return for his senior year.

1.Unlike Matt Leinart, who had nothing left to prove at the college level, Stafford could only improve his chances the following year barring injury.

2.He could redeem himself and likely make Georgia a contender even if Moreno departs.

That being said, Georgia has the no 2 QB in the nation coming in next season and my guess is Stafford will likely bolt.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    As a Buckeye fan I was hoping that maybe the threat of the two Ohio "pro" teams lurking in the top 5-10 of the draft might somehow help keep Beanie at OSU 1 more year to avoid being drafted by either but alas, they will be in the top 5-10 again next year so he might as well go.

Good luck Beanie.
    I fully expect Mike to take Beanie.

I also expect to read that in the third pre-season game, someone comes unblocked through the Bengals porous line and drills Beanie for a 3 yard loss.

Beanie Wells watches the rest of the Bangals season from the sidelines.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

BTW, with last weeks win, they dropped from #2 pick to #4. This weeks win could drop us to #6 depending on how Oakland and/or Seattle do. It's Classic Bengals season...play so poorly in the first half to remove all hope, but play just well enough after it doesn't count to create hope for next season while simultaneously ruining your draft choice. It's happened so often I'm beginning to think it's a formula. The difference between the #2 pick and the #6 or higher pick could be pretty hefty.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    BTW, with last weeks win, they dropped from #2 pick to #4. This weeks win could drop us to #6 depending on how Oakland and/or Seattle do. It's Classic Bengals season...play so poorly in the first half to remove all hope, but play just well enough after it doesn't count to create hope for next season while simultaneously ruining your draft choice. It's happened so often I'm beginning to think it's a formula. The difference between the #2 pick and the #6 or higher pick could be pretty hefty.
    Classic Dead-Cat bounce

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    He was going to win atleast 2 Heismans.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I think Powlus is a really good comp for Stafford.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I didn't think Matt Ryan was all that either when he went to the Falcons. I think for a lot of these QB's it really depends on who they go to and how well they perform with what little they have. Detroit might be a good situation for Stafford especially when you have Smith in the backfield and Johnson to throw to.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Senor Votto

When I hope the Bengals start to lose to get the best draft pick as possible they start winning. They can't even lose right

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    They can't even lose right.
    I can't think of 5 words that would better describe this disaster of a team. Well said, sir. Well said.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Add what you like but I wanna track the top 5-6 teams who have a chance to still draft ahead of the Bengals. And a guess at the corresponding player they might pick if it stays the same.

Coming into today's games.

#1 - Detroit (0-13)
    #2 - Cincy (1-11-1)
    #3 - K.C. (2-11)
    #4 - Seattle (2-11)
    #5 - St. Louis (2-11)
    #6 - Oakland (3-10)
    #7 - Cleveland (4-9)

After Today's games.

#1 - Detroit (0-14) Matt Stafford QB
    #2 - St. Louis (2-12) Andre Smith OT
    #3 - K.C. (2-12) Malcolm Jenkins CB/S or Trade Down
    #4 - Cincy (2-11-1) Rey Maualuga LB
    #5 - Seattle (3-11) Chris Wells RB
    #6 - Oakland (3-11) Michael Crabtree WR
    #7 - Cleveland (Has not played yet) If they win they are eliminated from this conversation.
    #1 - Detroit (0-15) Matt Stafford QB vs. Sam Bradford QB
    #2 - K.C. (2-13) Andre Smith OT vs. Michael Crabtree WR TT
    #3 - St. Louis (2-13) Michael Oher OT vs. Sam Bradford QB
    #4 - Cincy (3-11-1) Rey Maualuga LB vs. Michael Crabtree WR vs. Aaron Maybin (if he comes out)
    #5 - Cleveland (4-11) Michael Crabtree WR vs. Malcolm Jenkins DB
    #6 - Seattle (4-11) Chris Wells RB vs. vs. Sam Bradford QB
    #7 - Oakland (4-11) Aaron Curry OLB vs. Jeremy Maclin WR

Cincy has no chance of drafting in the top 3 as of now with that tie in hand. And worse this miserable season could end up with us out of the top 6 as well with a win at home against K.C. next week. I'm giving K.C. the edge however although not by much with us at home and playing better defense. But LJ, Tony Gonzales, Thigpen and Bowe should be diverse enough to throw us a tough game. Let's just say as I much as I hate to lose ever I wouldn't be opposed to the outcome of having the #4 pick in the draft.

So to recap, if we lose we cannot get a higher draft pick but also cannot fall out of the top 4. If we win we could tumble as far as the #7 slot.

*Also I added to the eventual picks (the guy furthest left) a VS. player that would no doubt be arguable for them in that spot. I added 2 for the Bengals because Crabtree and Maybin show some logic IMO.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-22-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?