Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Standings for draft purposes

Re: Standings for draft purposes

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    In a way, the Bengals kind of 'won' against Andrews' agent. Andrews was wanting a long term, lucrative deal, and the Bengals weren't willing to give it to him at the price he wanted. Now, it looks like Andrews' decision to not lower his price in negotiations with the Bengals will cost him multimillion dollars.
    That move made Mike Brown's season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a way, the Bengals kind of 'won' against Andrews' agent. Andrews was wanting a long term, lucrative deal, and the Bengals weren't willing to give it to him at the price he wanted. Now, it looks like Andrews' decision to not lower his price in negotiations with the Bengals will cost him multimillion dollars.
    I think it's unfortunate that Stacy Andrews suffered such an apparently devastating injury (particularly given his size), but to be honest, I never thought he was anything special, anyway. When the Bengals decided to use the franchise tag on him - one year after completely wasting it on Justin Smith - all I could do was shake my head. That should be used for true 'difference makers' (hence it's the average of the top five players at a position) and neither Smith or Andrews comes anywhere close to being that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I think it's unfortunate that Stacy Andrews suffered such an apparently devastating injury (particularly given his size), but to be honest, I never thought he was anything special, anyway. When the Bengals decided to use the franchise tag on him - one year after completely wasting it on Justin Smith - all I could do was shake my head. That should be used for true 'difference makers' (hence it's the average of the top five players at a position) and neither Smith or Andrews comes anywhere close to being that.
    I agree for the most part, but in many instances, I think a player is worth the franchise tag even if he isn't elite, especially if it's at a position where the team is weak. For example, T.J. Houshmandzadeh is exiting his prime and will likely have several injuries that will steadily reduce his playing time over the next few years. I'd rather pay him for one year at $~10 million than pay him $33 million over four years.

I agree for the most part, but in many instances, I think a player is worth the franchise tag even if he isn't elite, especially if it's at a position where the team is weak. For example, T.J. Houshmandzadeh is exiting his prime and will likely have several injuries that will steadily reduce his playing time over the next few years. I'd rather pay him for one year at $~10 million than pay him $33 million over four years.
    It's not as though the contract is guaranteed. If you can get a player on a "long term" deal at a cheaper rate than he would get with the franchise tag, why not do it?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's not as though the contract is guaranteed. If you can get a player on a "long term" deal at a cheaper rate than he would get with the franchise tag, why not do it?
    Because the salary cap number for the bonus is prorated over the life of the contract. If a player at that pay level goes in the tank or gets injured, and the team needs to cut him, it all accelerates into the current year. It is the same reason why Chad Johnson is still on the roster instead of playing in Washington. The cap hit would be outrageous.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Because the salary cap number for the bonus is prorated over the life of the contract. If a player at that pay level goes in the tank or gets injured, and the team needs to cut him, it all accelerates into the current year. It is the same reason why Chad Johnson is still on the roster instead of playing in Washington. The cap hit would be outrageous.
    Exactly. If the Bengals had signed Stacy Andrews to a long term contract before this season, they would have been stuck with the huge contract and career-threatening injury, and if Andrews were to never recover, they would have to pay him $10+ million to not play for the Bengals anymore, which is a huge cap hit, like you said.

No Franchise for TJ
    per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that T.J. Houshmandzadeh will not get the Bengals' franchise tag this offseason.
    Schefter says Cincinnati will instead try to sign Housh to an extension before his contract expires in late February. The Bengals have tried doing this previously, but couldn't get Houshmandzadeh to come to terms. If Housh hits the 2009 market, there won't be a better free agent wideout available.
    Source: NFL.com

I honestly feel the Bengals wont make any type of moves this off season, I can see them just letting TJ walk.

This is disheartening, to say the least. TJ is probably my favorite receiver just based on efficiency. He doesn't have an interest in re-signing here and I could hardly say that I blame him. Franchising him would be the only way to keep him around one more year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    No Franchise for TJ
    per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that T.J. Houshmandzadeh will not get the Bengals' franchise tag this offseason.
    Schefter says Cincinnati will instead try to sign Housh to an extension before his contract expires in late February. The Bengals have tried doing this previously, but couldn't get Houshmandzadeh to come to terms. If Housh hits the 2009 market, there won't be a better free agent wideout available.
    Source: NFL.com

I honestly feel the Bengals wont make any type of moves this off season, I can see them just letting TJ walk.
    Marvin apparently stated that story isn't necc. to be believed, in fact he just called it false. I highly doubt TJ goes anywhere because he's probably the one guy Carson would have a fit about losing. I could sorta see Chad being moved this year, although it's still not ideal to excellerate his bonus dollars it's a lot more doable this offseason than last.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Marvin apparently stated that story isn't necc. to be believed, in fact he just called it false. I highly doubt TJ goes anywhere because he's probably the one guy Carson would have a fit about losing. I could sorta see Chad being moved this year, although it's still not ideal to excellerate his bonus dollars it's a lot more doable this offseason than last.
    Unless TJ is franchised, he is likely gone, regardless of what Carson wants.

1.He is in for a big payday.

2.He is going to be the top receiver on the market.

3.All signs regarding an extension have pretty much been non-existant.

If TJ wanted to stay in Cincinnati, he would have already signed a contract extension by now. My guess is he already has one foot out the door.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Unless TJ is franchised, he is likely gone, regardless of what Carson wants.

1.He is in for a big payday.

2.He is going to be the top receiver on the market.

3.All signs regarding an extension have pretty much been non-existant.

If TJ wanted to stay in Cincinnati, he would have already signed a contract extension by now. My guess is he already has one foot out the door.
    I see how you can come to that conclusion. But I don't think it turns out that way. Because I think he gets franchised if worse comes to worse, there's no real reason to believe he won't.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bengals will have the 6th pick in the draft. Lions, Chiefs, Rams, Browns and Seahawks finished with worse records.

If I had to guess this early:

1.Detroit-Matt Stafford(QB-Georgia)
    2.St Louis-Michael Oher(OT-Ole Miss)
    3.Kansas City-Andre Smith(OT-Alabama)
    4.Cleveland-Beanie Wells(RB-Ohio St)
    5.Seattle-Michael Crabtree(WR-Texas Tech)
    6.Cincinnati-Rey Maulagala(LB-USC)

For those who will criticize Beanie to the Browns, he will be the first back taken, and if Marty Schottenheimer is hired as coach, he will want a Martyball type of back.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I had to guess this early:

1.Detroit-Matt Stafford(QB-Georgia)
    2.St Louis-Michael Oher(OT-Ole Miss)
    3.Kansas City-Andre Smith(OT-Alabama)
    4.Cleveland-Beanie Wells(RB-Ohio St)
    5.Seattle-Michael Crabtree(WR-Texas Tech)
    6.Cincinnati-Rey Maulagala(LB-USC)

For those who will criticize Beanie to the Browns, he will be the first back taken, and if Marty Schottenheimer is hired as coach, he will want a Martyball type of back.
    I think this is pretty much right on.

Maybe flip Oher and Smith and Bradford could end up passing up Stafford, but all in all I think this is a very likely outcome.

I would be pleased with Maualuga.

Adding him to the defense as well as an easier schedule and health and this team could be 8-8 or better next year.

draft ABB (Anybody But Beanie)

Turn Off Ads?