Re: Standings for draft purposes

My list of preference

1. Michael Oher
    2. Eugene Monroe
    3. Andre Smith
    4. Jason Smith
    5. Rey Maualuga
    6. Micheal Crabtree

Then I go best available center in the second round.

In the third I take another offensive tackle for depth. An Alex Boone type of guy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    My list of preference

1. Michael Oher
    2. Eugene Monroe
    3. Andre Smith
    4. Jason Smith
    5. Rey Maualuga
    6. Micheal Crabtree

In the third I take another offensive tackle for depth. An Alex Boone type of guy.
    Does this mean you want the Bengals to not re-sign Stacy Andrews?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Does this mean you want the Bengals to not re-sign Stacy Andrews?
    I don't think it is a question of my wants. They must either franchise tag him again for the final time, or sign him to a lucrative contract. It is widely believed in the Cincy media that he wants to get out on the open market (translation: He wants out of Bengaldom). The M&M gang has to decide between him and TJ, when it comes time to hand out the franchise tag. With the possibility of no salary cap in 2010, I don't think a team like the Bengals is going to be able to sign a high profile free agent. So they need protect their investment on the offensive line.

I would let TJ walk and keep Stacy. Stacy is still young, TJ is getting old for WR. I know where I would allot my funds.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I don't think it is a question of my wants. They must either franchise tag him again for the final time, or sign him to a lucrative contract. It is widely believed in the Cincy media that he wants to get out on the open market (translation: He wants out of Bengaldom). The M&M gang has to decide between him and TJ, when it comes time to hand out the franchise tag. With the possibility of no salary cap in 2010, I don't think a team like the Bengals is going to be able to sign a high profile free agent. So they need protect their investment on the offensive line.

I would let TJ walk and keep Stacy. Stacy is still young, TJ is getting old for WR. I know where I would allot my funds.
    I hope this spells the end of the project pick.

What an absolute waste of time and money Stacy Andrews has been to this pathetic franchise.

My list of preference

1. Michael Oher
    2. Eugene Monroe
    3. Andre Smith
    4. Jason Smith
    5. Rey Maualuga
    6. Micheal Crabtree

I'd have to go with:
    Andre Smith
    Rey Maualuga
    Michael Crabtree
    Aaron Maybin
    Malcolm Jenkins
    James Laurinaitis
    Brian Cushing
    Chris Wells

I'm just not convinced that Oher is a legit OT prospect he sounds like he is better suited to RG in the pros although I'm sure someone will draft him and attempt to play him at RT initially. Monroe I think could be better than Andre Smith but I wonder if he has the desire to be. I always question that with recent Virginia players although I haven't completely seen how well D'Brickashaw Feguson has transitioned but I think he's held up ok. But Monroe's scouting report reads like I should wonder. Jason Smith isn't a top 10 pick and maybe not even a top 20 pick either, again reading his scouting report leads me to believe this anyway.

Just based strictly on overall package this is how I see the top 10 players w/o regards to teams drafting there. Also based on the history of how teams draft in the top 10 which is mostly based on potential.

#1 - Matt Stafford - Has the big strong arm people look for which is talent #1 in a franchise QB.
    #2 - Andre Smith - Has it all to play LT, isn't Pace good but still a franchise LT.
    #3 - Michael Crabtree - Great big bodied playmaker elite in most ways except speed which is still plenty good enough.
    #4 - Rey Maualuga - A tad over aggressive at times but other than that find a wart on this kid. He's the MLB that we have always lacked. The one true impact player in this draft that is a no-brainer.
    #5 - Malcolm Jenkins - Not necc. elite but well above average in every way and a great tackler for a DB. Another sure thing.
    #6 - Aaron Curry - A legit OLB but does still need some coaching up and isn't an elite talent either.
    #7 - Sam Bradford - A great talent in every way but lacks elite arm strength.
    #8 - James Laurinaitis - As good or better than Curry overall, but more intelligent and perhaps slightly less talented.
    #9 - Brian Cushing - Would rate higher than Curry and on par with Maualuga if not for injury concerns. Although no major current issues has had some in the past.
    #10 - Eugene Monroe - Could be the best player of all but some past injuries and small (pretty small) character concerns knock him down a little. Should really rank in the top 5 or so easily due to being the most talented LT prospect. (Frankly I am probably being too hard on him, I am assuming maybe too much about character concerns, just call it a hunch).

Notable: Aaron Maybin could be the wildcard but admittedly I don't have a full scouting report but he's the only DE prospect worth a top 10 pick IMO, assuming he comes out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

What ever happened to Orakpo the DE from Texas? I thought he was a sure thing to go in the top 10 but has fallen quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What ever happened to Orakpo the DE from Texas? I thought he was a sure thing to go in the top 10 but has fallen quite a bit.

Wait untill he gets a prime time BCS game against Browning and company under his belt. He'll be a top 5 lock.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Wait untill he gets a prime time BCS game against Browning and company under his belt. He'll be a top 5 lock.
    Browning is scary bad as an OT.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think his smallish size for a DE in a non cover 2 or 3-4 defense doesn't help him. He's 6'3 1/2" but he weighs in at only about 255 lbs. He doesn't have that elite closing speed and he's not particularly strong. He could eventually become a solid pro but I doubt he ever records a 8-10 sack season and for that reason really isn't a top 10 type selection in most drafts let alone one of this caliber.

This draft has the makings of one of the best drafts ever, if everyone comes out that is expected too. I predict that even a few undrafted FA's become good players in the NFL. There will likely be a lot of movement for extra picks in this one.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Well if OT wasn't a position of need it might be now. Stacy Andrews tore his ACL sunday and that obviously clouds his future I assume.

Andrews tears ACL

And it also likely makes TJ the proud holder of the franchise tag this offseason, which is good for me, TJ is one of my favorite Bengals.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Well if OT wasn't a position of need it might be now. Stacy Andrews tore his ACL sunday and that obviously clouds his future I assume.

Andrews tears ACL

And it also likely makes TJ the proud holder of the franchise tag this offseason, which is good for me, TJ is one of my favorite Bengals.
    Well, so much for Stacy and his agent getting big-time money. I hate to see players getting hurt, I really do. Stacy may never be the same and he lost out on a lot of money due to greed by he and his agent.

Hopefully, this injury will force the Bengals to draft an OT in the first round. I wanted one prior to this injury and now it almost forces the hand. I would like a Center too in the 3rd round. DL in the 2nd.

I expect TJ to get franchised as well. I think that's a good move because I don't know how many years I'd want to sign an aging receiver to.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Well, so much for Stacy and his agent getting big-time money. I hate to see players getting hurt, I really do. Stacy may never be the same and he lost out on a lot of money due to greed by he and his agent.

Hopefully, this injury will force the Bengals to draft an OT in the first round. I wanted one prior to this injury and now it almost forces the hand. I would like a Center too in the 3rd round. DL in the 2nd.

I expect TJ to get franchised as well. I think that's a good move because I don't know how many years I'd want to sign an aging receiver to.
    What's crazy though is they still have Levi and Anthony Collins and Whitworth who could play RT as well. I think I'd almost rather They coninue to groom Collins for another season behind Levi, Move Whitworth out to RT and draft another mid-late round OT. Guards are much easier to come by and didn't they already extend Whitworth's contract out last offseason? They could also consider moving Ghiacuic to LG who is a good pass blocker and is mobile and then find a dominant Center in FA or the draft. I don't know how many picks we have yet but I could now see anywhere from 2-3 OL taken again.

Anyhow what do people think about this alignment in a worst case scenario type of situation.

LT L. Jones (Collins backing up both Tackles)
    LG E. Ghiacuic
    OC Alex Mack (Cal) or Max Unger (Oregon)
    RG B. Williams
    RT A. Whitworth

Although I expect it will look more like this in '09 despite the clamoring to replace Ghiacuic.

LT L. Jones
    LG Whitworth
    OC Ghiacuic
    RG Williams
    RT Collins

--Woody Hayes

I want no part of Ghiacuic.

Jones is probably done here with his level of production, nagging injuries, and pay.

My guess is you see:

LT Collins or Draft Pick
    LG Whitworth
    C Draft Pick or Free Agent
    RG Williams
    RT Collins or Draft Pick and maybe Stacy Andrews brought back as depth.

They must go OT, C, OT in the draft. I really don't see any other sensible plan, and now I think franchise tagging TJ becomes the no brainer.

In a way, the Bengals kind of 'won' against Andrews' agent. Andrews was wanting a long term, lucrative deal, and the Bengals weren't willing to give it to him at the price he wanted. Now, it looks like Andrews' decision to not lower his price in negotiations with the Bengals will cost him multimillion dollars.

Turn Off Ads?