Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arkansas high school football coach refuses to punt

Arkansas high school football coach refuses to punt

This is awesome. It is like someone who plays video games finally got control of a real football team. I am proud to say that I have never punted in and football game (Tecmo or NCAA).

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arkansas

Greg Easterbrook at Tuesday Morning Quarterback is a bid advocate of the strategy as well. It's unconventional but has merit.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

All I can say is you had better have an efficient offense to be able to make this work.

I still dig the A-11 offense though. I'm hoping we see that in college in the very near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

That makes me miss Hal Mumme.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Re: Arkansas high school football coach refuses to punt

....awesome

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    All I can say is you had better have an efficient offense to be able to make this work.
    It can work in high school, I guess, if your team is so superior that you have, as that coach calculated, a 50% chance of converting a fourth-and-eight (a success rate that would be a logical absurdity at higher levels). Of course, if your team is that much better, you're going to win anyway. He's also factoring in a typical high-school kicking game, i.e. not very good. At higher levels, the expected flip of field position by punting or doing a normal kickoff is greater. It's good to see someone rethinking the conventional wisdom, though.

I still dig the A-11 offense though. I'm hoping we see that in college in the very near future.
    My guess is there will be a rule change of some kind that neuters the A-11 as soon as it makes a mark in the college game.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

My guess is there will be a rule change of some kind that neuters the A-11 as soon as it makes a mark in the college game.
    I don't really see how. You are using a QB as a tailback basically. If you pitch the ball to your HB(who is acting as a QB), it's basically a HB pass, which is legal.

Somebody like a Tim Tebow would be perfect for this type of offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't really see how. You are using a QB as a tailback basically. If you pitch the ball to your HB(who is acting as a QB), it's basically a HB pass, which is legal.

Somebody like a Tim Tebow would be perfect for this type of offense.
    On a normal scrimmage play, the ineligible receivers have to wear numbers in the 50-79 range and they have to report when they're going to be in a pass-eligible spot. So the defense may not know where the eligible receivers are going when the offense breaks the huddle, but at least they know who they are.

The A-11, as I understand it, uses a loophole in the rules. On scrimmage kicks (field goals and punts), as long as the snap is taken seven or more yards behind the line of scrimmage, the jersey-numbering restriction goes away. This is so teams aren't limited to using interior linemen on punt coverage etc. The "gimmick" of the A-11 is that they use a very deep shotgun snap, seven yards behind the LOS, so the other ten guys can wear eligible-receiver numbers and make the defense guess as to who's coming out for the pass on any given play.

So, to neutralize the A-11, all they would have to do is say, if you are in a scrimmage-kick formation, you cannot legally throw a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage unless your ineligible receivers conform to the 50-79 numbering rule. That would make it hard for some teams to throw passes off a fake punt or field goal, but it could be done.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Arkansas high school football coach refuses to punt

I used to have a dynasty going in NCAA 2007 where I hadn't punted in over 6 years of games.

I'd graduated 2 punters who had never once taken the field.

I love it!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?