Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you...

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Would you...

...Trade for a LHH CF who could OPS .850+ is young and available? What would you trade for him? Would you trade a package headed bye Yonder Alonso? I realize Yonder would have to be a PTBNL and the rest of the package would have to be figured out, but as always that's irrelevant.

This player OPS'ed this the past 2 season away from his home park.

'07 - .324/.401/.548/.949 (252 PA's) - Age 23
    '08 - .288/.364/.487.851 (306 PA's) - Age 24

One caveat. He's played CF only 6 games in the majors but the early indication is he could play it pretty well, between his #'s and skillset I think he could. He may not be elite out there but I think above average defensively is likely.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you...

I know who you are talking about and I wouldn't trade Alonso for him, but I would target him. That said, I don't think he can play CF.

There's already a Jeremy Hermida thread, he's not a CF, and there's no way I package Yonder Alonso for him.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thats over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.
    --Ted Williams

Hermida has enough trouble playing RF.

I'd like to hear why people think he can't play CF. I haven't seen him much defensively but am curious about it. #2 why not Alonso for him, it solves eventually having to move anyone and we would get the position(s) filled sooner. You take Hermida out of that gargantuan stadium and it seems he could be as big a beast as Alonso might eventually be.

If I had put it in the Hermida thread it would have been a dead give away, but I should have known 2 posts in someone would have blown my cover. The idea was to get people to look beyond any pre-conceived notions and give a hard look at the possibility before they just jumped and said he's not a CF.

Plus I figured if we can play him in CF for just this season perhaps we could still add that corner RH bat and everyone would be happy. So I guess my question is would you take him on and play him in CF or sign Wily Taveras?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd like to hear why people think he can't play CF. I haven't seen him much defensively but am curious about it. #2 why not Alonso for him, it solves eventually having to move anyone and we would get the position(s) filled sooner.
    Firstly,posters doubt he could play CF because he doesn't look very good in right.

Secondly, I would't trade Alonsi for him because you don't have to. He'd come cheaper than that.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 12-15-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Jeremy Hermida finished in the top two in 2008 in a category I call "worst defensive outfield read of the season." It was a game against the Reds last season in Florida where he got a lousy jump, misread the ball terribly, and let a relatively easy out fall in for a hit. This was a ball that your average beer league softball right fielder would have hauled in.

RZ friend and Marlins fan ramp commented that Hermida is "a terrible outfielder."
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I would have lost a lot of money betting on what player would generate the most threads this off-season. Jeremy Hermida would not have made my top 20 on that kind of list. Weird what pops sometimes.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'd like to hear why people think he can't play CF.
    Turning the question around: Why do you think he can?

I'm not going to proclaim the Marlins as the pinnacle of intelligent baseball organizations or that they're not capable of misjudging players, but let's be real. If a player can hit like Hermida and has even a sliver of a chance to play center field every day, teams will give him every opportunity to do it. Yet Hermida's always been a corner guy, despite the Marlins suffering through a revolving door of Juan Pierre, Alfredo Amezaga, Reggie Abercrombie and Cody Ross in center field since 2005. If he clearly had center-field skills, odd that they wouldn't have given him a chance, no?
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Turning the question around: Why do you think he can?

I'm not going to proclaim the Marlins as the pinnacle of intelligent baseball organizations or that they're not capable of misjudging players, but let's be real. If a player can hit like Hermida and has even a sliver of a chance to play center field every day, teams will give him every opportunity to do it. Yet Hermida's always been a corner guy, despite the Marlins suffering through a revolving door of Juan Pierre, Alfredo Amezaga, Reggie Abercrombie and Cody Ross in center field since 2005. If he clearly had center-field skills, odd that they wouldn't have given him a chance, no?
    Who knows why some F.O.'s do things. But if you read my post further I stated I didn't know for sure. However a guy picked that high in the draft who is an OF and cannot play defense? Not too mention when I took a look at his defensive #'s he looked pretty good, although as I pointed out in my initial post it was very small sample size.

So then why do so many want him if his defense stinks?

--Woody Hayes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Who knows why some F.O.'s do things. But if you read my post further I stated I didn't know for sure. However a guy picked that high in the draft who is an OF and cannot play defense? Not too mention when I took a look at his defensive #'s he looked pretty good, although as I pointed out in my initial post it was very small sample size.

So then why do so many want him if his defense stinks?
    His defense can be lived with as a corner outfielder. And he hits.

Also, and my apologies in advance if I'm misreading, you seem to have a fairly either-or view -- if a guy's defense doesn't stink then he could play center field. I'd argue there's a fairly wide gap between "good everyday center fielder" and "stinks," one in which the majority of MLB outfielders would fall, I'd guess. They can play the corners well enough and they can play center in a pinch, but they're not an asset in center.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    His defense can be lived with as a corner outfielder. And he hits.

Also, and my apologies in advance if I'm misreading, you seem to have a fairly either-or view -- if a guy's defense doesn't stink then he could play center field. I'd argue there's a fairly wide gap between "good everyday center fielder" and "stinks," one in which the majority of MLB outfielders would fall, I'd guess. They can play the corners well enough and they can play center in a pinch, but they're not an asset in center.
    No that's not quite what I meant. What I meant was that so many are stating that he couldn't play CF and basing that opinion on his inability to even play a decent COF. Cyclone stated that Ramp has stated that he's a "terrible OF", which lead me to believe he must have been talking about in general as opposed to CF specifically.

So if that's the case why would we want a guy who is already a terrible defender at the age of 24? I was being a bit facetious asking that because I already knew the answer (his bat & his youth) but wanted people to ask themselves the defensive question. I myself would like to hear some specifics like Cyclone used (reading a flyball) to determine if he might be capable of playing CF anyway. For example I've read plenty of times that CF is actually easier to read a flyball than the corners. He may not be worth a look in CF but I still don't know any good reason why he can't. Is his inability to play CF due to a lack of talent (in which case I'd have to concede) or is it a lack of skill/opportunity (in which case I'd still wonder if it isn't possible)? I'd be interested to hear Ramp's take on it or anyone else who has watched him play enough to be more specific about his deficiencies.

I'm not trying to show anyone up here just hate closing the book on what could be. Although I expect that everyone is correct in assuming so if an organization without a good CF option would choose to not play him there.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Firstly,posters doubt he could play CF because he doesn't look very good in right.

Secondly, I would't trade Alonsi for him because you don't have to. He'd come cheaper than that.
    If he'd come cheaper I'm all for that too. I just figure we can get around him not being RH by offering him up as a possible CF solution, thus allowing the F.O. to still look for their RH bat in LF.

--Woody Hayes

If you ended up with Bruce, Hermida and say, either Bradley or Dye, you'd have Bruce in CF and Hermedida in RF. It would be below average defensively and you'd wear Bruce out. Hermida in LF, DickersoninCF & Bruce in RF wouldn't be bad (except for the LH'dness of course).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If you ended up with Bruce, Hermida and say, either Bradley or Dye, you'd have Bruce in CF and Hermedida in RF. It would be below average defensively and you'd wear Bruce out. Hermida in LF, DickersoninCF & Bruce in RF wouldn't be bad (except for the LH'dness of course).
    Yeah I thought of moving Bruce over to CF as well adding a RH bat to play LF/RF and stick Hermida in RF/LF. But I just don't think much of Bruce in CF myself, I think he can do ok there but obviously I want the most ideal solution both offensively and defensively. However they all can be subbed for adequately with Dickerson on the bench.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?