Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milton Bradley Thread

Re: Reds Rumored to be Interested in Milton Bradley?

He's better than Willy Taveras.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    so's my dead cat.

I miss my cat.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Faint praise indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yes, it's a risk. But I don't plan on it being a 9 year, $100 million one. He played in 3/4 games last year. He put up stupid good numbers. Sign him for a couple of years. Sure, it could backfire, but it could also very well be that signing that changes this team around and sends us to the playoffs, if not serious contention for said playoffs.
    It's sad that 75% of games is an achievement for this guy.

He also played over 80% of those games at DH. How many would we expect him to play in Cincy?

I'd rather plow that money into Furcal. At least he's only an injury risk. This guy has way too much baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Faint praise indeed.
    I didn't really mean it that way, exactly.

It's just that some folks feel as if Willy Taveras is the only option, when he so obviously isn't.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I didn't really mean it that way, exactly.

It's just that some folks feel as if Willy Taveras is the only option, when he so obviously isn't.
    I know. Like I said in the other thread, if Taveras is the only option then the Reds are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's sad that 75% of games is an achievement for this guy.

He also played over 80% of those games at DH. How many would we expect him to play in Cincy?

I'd rather plow that money into Furcal. At least he's only an injury risk. This guy has way too much baggage.
    Don't like the injury risk? Fine. But I think you're way too caught up on intangibles. It's baseball, not synchronized swimming.

I dig the idea of Bradley as long they have a guy that can step in for an extended time.

There's the drawback. You gotta pay Milton's salary, plus his pay his caddy a decent chunk.

Still....He feels like Kevin Mitchell to me and I like that feeling.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've heard his nae around alot lately

I wonder if its not his agents drumming up interest.
    Ding ding ding ding...we have a winner.

I'd be shocked if the Reds were seriously considering Milton Bradley any more than a call to his agent to find out what he's looking for salary/years wise. Agent then floats this to "sources" to make his client look like he's in-demand and to shake cash loose from some of his suitors.

FWIW, though, I like Bradley as a good fit for the Reds. I seem to recall another all-world talent with a ten-cent head that Dusty Baker managed effectively in San Francisco.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Don't like the injury risk? Fine. But I think you're way too caught up on intangibles. It's baseball, not synchronized swimming.
    And I think sometimes people get way too caught up on stats.

The guy is a circus. Flat out. He should be far, far away from Cincy, except if he puts on the Bengals uni.

And we aren't even discussing the fact that he has never played a full season of baseball in his career.

Critical comments cause Bradley to go looking for Royals announcer
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 12, 2008, 2:35 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Milton Bradley stormed out of the Texas Rangers clubhouse after an 11-5 victory Wednesday night over Kansas City and bounded up four flights of stairs looking for Royals television announcer Ryan Lefebvre.

Bradley, who was the designated hitter, heard what he considered derogative remarks made by Lefebvre on a TV in the Rangers clubhouse.

General manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington were close behind and intercepted Bradley before he reached Lefebvre.

"I don't want to get necessarily into the details," Daniels said. "He was upset. Someone who doesn't know him was passing judgment on TV. It was obvious he was hurt by the comments."

Bradley never reached Lefebvre, although he was within about 20 feet of him in the TV booth before being led back down to the clubhouse.

"There was no incident," Daniels said.

Upon returning to the clubhouse, Bradley screamed at teammates and broke down in tears.

"I'm tired of people bringing me down," Bradley said. "It wears on you. I love you guys, all you guys. I'm strong, but I'm not that strong. All I want to do is play baseball and make a better life for my kid than I had."

Several of Bradley's teammates consoled him after he calmed down.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan told ESPN.com on Thursday that he didn't hear Lefebvre's comments on the broadcast but added that Bradley has done an admirable job of trying to put his behavioral problems in the past.

"We're disappointed that things were said that upset Milton," Ryan told ESPN.com. "From my observations since spring training, he is really trying to change the part of his life that has plagued him during his career. We're very supportive of that, and we feel as if he's made great strides.

"It's an incident that came up, and I think it was handled properly. Milton was upset and disappointed about it, but I'd like to think this is behind us and we'll move on," Ryan said.

Lefebvre, who is the son of former major-league manager Jim Lefebvre, said he met with Daniels and Washington about his on-the-air comments but did not talk to Bradley. Lefebvre said the comments were intended to praise Josh Hamilton, who missed nearly four years of professional baseball with cocaine and alcohol additions, rather than tear down Bradley.

"It was a conversation about how Josh Hamilton has turned his life around and has been accountable for his mistakes," Lefebvre told The Associated Press. "Right now, it seems like the baseball world and fans are rooting for him. ... It doesn't seem like Milton Bradley has done the same thing in his life."

The oft-injured Bradley has a history of losing his temper.

He slammed a plastic bottle at the feet of a fan in the right-field seats at Dodger Stadium in 2004 after someone threw it on the field. With San Diego in the pennant chase last September, he tore the ACL in his right knee when he was spun to the ground by Padres manager Bud Black, who was trying to keep him from an umpire.

He was suspended for five games after slamming the bottle and had a four-game suspension for tossing a bag of balls onto the field after an ejection. There was a dugout confrontation with Cleveland manager Eric Wedge during spring training in 2004 before he was traded to Los Angeles.

Bradley claimed umpire Mike Winters baited the player into the confrontation and directed a profanity at him last September. Winters was suspended the final five days of the regular season and didn't work the postseason.

"We weren't singling out Milton Bradley," Lefebvre said. "We also spent a lot of time complimenting Milton Bradley, but that's not what he heard when he was in the clubhouse.

"We weren't tearing up Milton Bradley," he said. "I told [Washington and Daniels] this wasn't a Milton Bradley rip session, but just based on the pictures we've seen in this series of him walking to the dugout all the way to right field, dropping his bat, making gestures to the fans in right field and above the dugout and taunting them. He's the only person in baseball I know that does that type of stuff."

Information from ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick and The Associated Press was used in this report.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3438827

The guy is a circus. Flat out. He should be far, far away from Cincy, except if he puts on the Bengals uni.

And we aren't even discussing the fact that he has never played a full season of baseball in his career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3438827

He RULES.

This dead cat sounds like a sleeper.

Probably because stats are a way of quantifying how good a player is. Sorry if folks around here get way too caught up in someoby's talent level.

If he OPSes 1.000, he can tame a lion and swing from the trapezes for all I care. Nice Bengals reference though. Current.

Eh, we don't need him for a full season. 120 games would be adequate. Find another competent player who can step in as a 4th/5th outfielder and the Reds could actually be looking to compete next year.
    Last edited by Screwball; 12-15-2008 at 06:04 PM.

I'd rather plow that money into Furcal. At least he's only an injury risk. .

Furcal's DUI says "hi".

I'm WAY more concerned by Bradley's injury history than his intangibles. We all know The Dusty can keep a player like Bradley in line...

Turn Off Ads?