Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milton Bradley Thread

Re: Reds Rumored to be Interested in Milton Bradley?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I wouldn't mind giving him a one year deal, but he's not going to agree to that.

Ibanez just got 3 years at 30 million (or something like that). Bradley should easily be able to top that.

Would you guys give Bradley 3 years, 36 million? Because I think that's the minimum it would take to get the conversation started. He's going to want to cash in and get some respect after all the bouncing around he's had to do in his career.
    If Jocketty has done his homework and thinks it would work, my max would be 2yrs/$20M with a $12M optionon on a 3rd yr and a $1M buyout

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    We'd all agree that acquiring Albert Pujols would be a good move.
    Someone would complain about the prospects that we gave up to get Pujols and claim that the trade would come back to haunt us. Someone else would complain about how much $$ Pujols makes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Apparently, Dude can rake. An OPS over 900 also apparently means you don't have to answer for your problems, including numerous run-ins with the law, but, interestingly, a back injury means a DUI becomes a felony. No, check that-- two DUI's, a back injury, and an OPS+ of less than 125 means you may be a crack addict.

Or something like that.

Babe Ruth wasn't a saint.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He is unstable.

He has played more than 101 games exactly twice in his career.

One of those seasons had him at an OPS+ of 108.

The other saw him have a monster year, where he DHed about 80% of the time. And, in that big season, he played in a notorious hitter's park where he posted a 1.145 OPS at home, severly swaying his numbers. He also had a babip of .388, which I am told is quite a lucky number.

So, tell me, what do you have for him?
    Stick him in LF and he'll rake, as he's done in the past.

We need guys that can rake in our lineup.

He's a switch hitter.

He'll be a great value as long as he's making less than $10 Mil a Year

He knows how to find 1B at or above 37% on average.

Did I mention he can rake?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    But that's what makes it sticky though. If Ibanez got 10 million/year, Bradley is going to want more than that. Earlier I said at least 12 million/year, but he may want more than that. He may want close to what Burrell and Dunn are asking for. Of course, I don't know what he wants, but he's not going to be a "value sign" by any means. There's enough clubs bidding on him that he's going to get top dollar.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But that's what makes it sticky though. If Ibanez got 10 million/year, Bradley is going to want more than that. Earlier I said at least 12 million/year, but he may want more than that. He may want close to what Burrell and Dunn are asking for. Of course, I don't know what he wants, but he's not going to be a "value sign" by any means. There's enough clubs bidding on him that he's going to get top dollar.
    I agree it gets sticky.

Just b/c the Phils apparently were asleep at the switch, or out of their freakin' minds to throw that kinda coin at Raul Ibanez, doesn't mean that we should give a similar deal to Milton Bradley, even though Bradley's a better player.

... but you're right, if I'm Bradley's agent, I tell every GM that if Raul Ibanez is worth $10 Million a year to replace Pat Burrell, then my client is worth at least $12 Million a year.

... and if I'm Pat Burrell's agent, I'm telling every GM that I'm worth $15 Million a year, and that the Phils chose to go the more "economical" route in terms of both production and salary.

But if Milton Bradley's the documented problem child that edabbs makes him out to be, then his value has to be low, right? ... and teams aren't going to pay top dollar for a problem child...

Mychael Urban

Seriously?

Mycahael?

Wouldn't that make you have just as much of an attitude as being named "Milton Bradley"?

Next thing you know, some poor schlep will be named "Laynce".
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Bradley is coming off too good of a year. He will most definitely price himself out of the Reds' budget. If he was coming off a mediocre year, I could see it. No way it will happen after the numbers he put up last year IMO.

And even last year, he was banged up for bits and pieces of the season. I completely agree he would be a better fit with the Rays than the Cubs. And not just because I don't want to see him hit in GASP (GAsmallPark). OK, maybe that's part of it.

Another thing I know, this ain't "buying low"...

I'd be for it with his attitude and all at this point (nothing wrong with a little fire/intimidator on your team), but medical issues bother me. If he would sign for a reasonable price or give us the ability to get out from under the rest of the contract if he cannot hold up physically then I'd consider him. Otherwise I'd move on.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you do time for DUI, then you have character issues.

Hopefully he's gotten himself some help, but it is one of the reasons he wasn't asked to stay in Atlanta.
    But now they want him back? From rotoworld.com:

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Braves have entered the bidding for Rafael Furcal, likely with a three-year proposal with a vesting option for 2012.

The Braves were expected to pursue Furcal if they traded Yunel Escobar, but that hasn't happened. Apparently, they're going for it anyway and will make the pieces fit later on. A trade of Escobar for pitching would be a possibility. Another option would be to put Furcal at second base and Kelly Johnson in left field. Furcal is expected to make a decision on his future on Tuesday. The A's, Dodgers and Royals are also believed to be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Stick him in LF and he'll rake, as he's done in the past.

We need guys that can rake in our lineup.

He's a switch hitter.

He knows how to find 1B at or above 37% on average.

Did I mention he can rake?
    He has talent. It was also reported that he chokes pregnant women. Lastly, he rarely plays over 100 games. Add it up and it is not worth it.

I'd offer 6M, 6.5M and team option for 7.5M for total of 20M deal, see if he bites.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I'd offer 6M, 6.5M and team option for 7.5M for total of 20M deal, see if he bites.
    I'd go for that if it's 6 M, team option for 7.5 M. I'm not in favor of giving any current FA more than 2 years presently, except Tex under certain circumstances. I believe we will have a full youthful team as soon as next season. Frazier, Valaika and Alonso all could be starters in '10 for this team along with our current crop and that's not even thinking about guys like Dorn. Now they may not but if you fill their potential positions with 3 year deals for guys, you are screwing yourself out of filling another potential hole (money wise) when they come up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?