Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: White Death ver 2009.1

Re: White Death ver 2009.1

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    No snow, but it took me almost two hours getting home tonight. It's a drive that usually takes me 15 minutes. Most of that was the idiots in front of me allowing people speeding by in the next lane to cut in front of them, leaving us sitting idle for what seemed like forever. It took me 40 minutes to get from exit 3 to exit 2 on south 471, and another 40 minutes to get from exit 2 to the I-275 interchange.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    Was in Dayton last night visiting my grandparents. A 1 hour trip became 3 because of all the idiots afraid of rain.

Yes it was cold, yes the temp was right on the freezing line but to go from 70mph to 15mph on the highway was total overkill. We could have all set it on 40ish and been just fine.

It was bumper-to-bumper from Dayton to Franklin, Cincinnati-Dayton road to I275. I275 to Montgomery road. We had to get off at Montgomery road for a while to attend to a few things. When we got back on the highway 40 minutes later the traffic had cleared up. Had we stuck to it, however, it was red taillights as far as we could see so we would have continued to be stuck in traffic had we pushed forward.

It was far more dangerous in my driveway than it ever was on the interstate. Yet, for some bizarre reason, people flipped out over the rain.

Rain.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We got ice up here in Bellefontaine over night. I went out and hit Walmart this morning (around 5 AM - less people to deal with), and the roads were one solid sheet of ice. I'm talking creeping along at 10-15 mph. It ain't pretty.

Then the temps are suppose to get up around 50 later on today.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Rode my bike home from work last night. The roads were fine but there is one spot on campus at IU where the road was ice. I didn't see it and took a dive.
    The worst part was the wind, blowing the sleet into my face.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Today chains required on the interstate highways and local state highways, it took my wife an I 4 hours to take a bus 4 miles away and back yesterday. We're getting 3-5 inches more and are officially snowed in for Christmas....we'll be at home and all my siblings and parents will be at their glad we were not headed to Cincinnati since 800 flights have canceled since Saturday... by the weekend it wil be in the 50's, we're going to have some major flooding when this melts.

The city of Gresham, Oregon, declared an emergency and called in help from the National Guard, which dispatched six Humvees to get emergency responders through almost impassable roads, KOIN reported.

Multnomah County, which includes Portland, declared a state of emergency to last until January 5. Snow, rain or a mixture of both was in the Portland forecast through Monday, the National Weather Service said.
    Last edited by westofyou; 12-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Today chains required on the interstate highways and local state highways, it took my wife an I 4 hours to take a bus 4 miles away and back yesterday. We're getting 3-5 inches more and are officially snowed in for Christmas....we'll be at home and all my siblings and parents will be at their glad we were not headed to Cincinnati since 800 flights have canceled since Saturday... by the weekend it wil be in the 50's, we're going to have some major flooding when this melts.

The city of Gresham, Oregon, declared an emergency and called in help from the National Guard, which dispatched six Humvees to get emergency responders through almost impassable roads, KOIN reported.

Multnomah County, which includes Portland, declared a state of emergency to last until January 5. Snow, rain or a mixture of both was in the Portland forecast through Monday, the National Weather Service said.
    It's not that I would want that much snow. I know you guys up there in Oregon really get nailed; but I actually do love winter, and wish we'd see more snow around here. The kids and I love to do various outdoor activities in the snow. It seems any more that the worst part of our winter comes in January-March.

One thing I do hate though is the ice and freezing rain. That is all we have gotten so far this winter. We've had a couple light dustings of snow, but really no accumulation. And that figures since I went out 3 weeks ago and bought myself a new toy because we did get nailed a few times last year, and the only way to clear off the drifted over driveway was to open the garage door and getting a running start ......

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I took a run on Christmas afternoon in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. Was about 60 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I took a run on Christmas afternoon in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. Was about 60 degrees.

So ho many laps around the coffee table did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that figures since I went out 3 weeks ago and bought myself a new toy because we did get nailed a few times last year, and the only way to clear off the drifted over driveway was to open the garage door and getting a running start ......

Oh, dear God. People of Bellefontaine, run for your lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All our snow is gone, once again it's just rain and moss, so happy....

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

The forecasters here in the Cincinnati area are now throwing out those vague comments telling us that starting Monday night (1-26) there will be snow or maybe freezing rain or maybe both and 'the system could have quite a bit of moisture' in it.

So be prepared, Tri-Staters, for anything!

Or nothing. :

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    The forecasters here in the Cincinnati area are now throwing out those vague comments telling us that starting Monday night (1-26) there will be snow or maybe freezing rain or maybe both and 'the system could have quite a bit of moisture' in it.

So be prepared, Tri-Staters, for anything!

Or nothing. :
    A Bob Castellini forecast?.... "The snowing stops now!"

Run to the hills! Run for your lives!!
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

We're supposedly getting 7-10 inches within the next 24 hrs. wooo....
    Let's make some noise!

I am seriously over ice storms. I used to be one of those people who laughed at this city's overreaction, and then in the ice the day before Christmas Eve a huge van plowed into my car. I just got it back all fixed and shiny YESTERDAY. Now I am terrified to drive in this. My car weighs about 12 pounds and slides at the sight of a popsicle.

I didn't go to work today (genuinely sick) and don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow if it keeps up like this. My job is lame. But I'd feel terrible missing another day. But I am terrified of the ice and the big hill near me. I am a ball of stress the likes of which I would have laughed at a month and a half ago. Help.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I am seriously over ice storms. I used to be one of those people who laughed at this city's overreaction, and then in the ice the day before Christmas Eve a huge van plowed into my car. I just got it back all fixed and shiny YESTERDAY. Now I am terrified to drive in this. My car weighs about 12 pounds and slides at the sight of a popsicle.

I didn't go to work today (genuinely sick) and don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow if it keeps up like this. My job is lame. But I'd feel terrible missing another day. But I am terrified of the ice and the big hill near me. I am a ball of stress the likes of which I would have laughed at a month and a half ago. Help.
    What kind of car do you have, VP? Does it at least have front wheel drive? How is the tread on your tires (or how old are your tires)?

Typically with storms such as this I'll fill up the gas tank (adds up to 100 pounds of weight), and I might toss in a few more things to add some additional weight (not much, maybe 50-100 pounds or so). I just try to distribute a little bit of extra weight evenly throughout the cabin and trunk, but not too much to impact the braking. Then if necessary I'll just roll around in 2nd gear at 25-30mph and let the transmission/engine do most of my braking for me.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?