Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: White Death ver 2009.1

Re: White Death ver 2009.1

I will also add this ... with the looks of what we may be getting in the next 12-15 hours with the large amount of ice followed by another four to six inches of snow, I'd suggest people to work from home if they have the option or just take the day off.

Tomorrow might just be absolutely brutal.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    What kind of car do you have, VP? Does it at least have front wheel drive? How is the tread on your tires (or how old are your tires)?

Typically with storms such as this I'll fill up the gas tank (adds up to 100 pounds of weight), and I might toss in a few more things to add some additional weight (not much, maybe 50-100 pounds or so). I just try to distribute a little bit of extra weight evenly throughout the cabin and trunk, but not too much to impact the braking. Then if necessary I'll just roll around in 2nd gear at 25-30mph and let the transmission/engine do most of my braking for me.
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (with about three boxes of paper in the trunk). This is embarrassing, but I have no idea if it has front-wheel drive. Two of the tires (I can't remember which ones as they've been rotated since -- probably back at this point, I guess) are about a year old, the others are probably at least three years old. But does that even make a difference in ice?

I did fill up the car today for the precise reason of weighing it down, and even going up the street I was sliding all over the place -- and that was before the sleet started. It's Beechmont Hill that terrifies me. I *have* to go down it to get to work; there's no other route, and there's no going down Beechmont Hill without breaking. I used to be pretty confident as a driver in the snow. It's really a confidence issue at this point, and a desire not to be plowed into again and mess up my newly fixed car. How bad are things really supposed to be tomorrow, or is everyone freaking out for basically normal winter conditions?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

If we get all the ice they are saying, nobody is going anywhere, and you'll be lucky if the power stays on. Some are saying as much as a half inch of ice, then 4-6 inches on snow. The snow isn't starting until around 4am though noon tomorrow, everything before it is ice.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (with about three boxes of paper in the trunk). This is embarrassing, but I have no idea if it has front-wheel drive. Two of the tires (I can't remember which ones as they've been rotated since -- probably back at this point, I guess) are about a year old, the others are probably at least three years old. But does that even make a difference in ice?

I did fill up the car today for the precise reason of weighing it down, and even going up the street I was sliding all over the place -- and that was before the sleet started. It's Beechmont Hill that terrifies me. I *have* to go down it to get to work; there's no other route, and there's no going down Beechmont Hill without breaking. I used to be pretty confident as a driver in the snow. It's really a confidence issue at this point, and a desire not to be plowed into again and mess up my newly fixed car. How bad are things really supposed to be tomorrow, or is everyone freaking out for basically normal winter conditions?
    Youv'e got front wheel drive in your Elantra, but you're right that it's extremely light. Looks like the curb weight is only just over 2,600 pounds or so. I'd check to see which set of tires you have on the front. If you have your older tires on the front and they're lacking in tread, you'll see a significant loss in traction. This is true even with simple rain too.

Even if your better tires were on the front though, it still probably isn't worth it tomorrow morning. I'm not on the east side so I'm not familiar with Beechmont Hill. But if it's a decent sized hill and we get the amount of ice that the people say we're going to get, I wouldn't even bother trying to drive in it tomorrow. It has the potential to be brutal for everyone, even those in 4WD vehicles with snow tires.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Thank you cyclone for doing all my research for me You are a helpful dude.

Thank you also for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. I just have been that girl in the office with a sense of superiority of "I made it to work, why can't everybody else?" so I imagine that girl sitting there saying it about me. But screw that girl. She's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Thank you cyclone for doing all my research for me You are a helpful dude.

Thank you also for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. I just have been that girl in the office with a sense of superiority of "I made it to work, why can't everybody else?" so I imagine that girl sitting there saying it about me. But screw that girl. She's crazy.
    No worries, you're not crazy anymore.

I just ask myself if the risk is worth it, and for me it's clearly not. I worked from home today, and I'll either do the same tomorrow or just take the day off completely. I can do most things with my job from home, but not everything. I've just come to realize that nothing in my job is so important that it can't wait until Thursday anyway. I figure if 99 percent of people out there are honest with themselves about their job, they'd realize nothing is so important with it that it can't wait until Thursday too.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

You guys are this worried about six inches of snow?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

Yep. Kooky, ain't we?

I'm worried about the ice, not so much the snow.

Remember that snow storm we had back in 06' and it took people 4-5 hours to get home? I had a family member have a heart attack while driving in it, and nobody could get there to help. He died. So yeah, I'm very paranoid about people I care about driving in conditions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm worried about the ice, not so much the snow.

Remember that snow storm we had back in 06' and it took people 4-5 hours to get home? I had a family member have a heart attack while driving in it, and nobody could get there to help. He died. So yeah, I'm very paranoid about people I care about driving in conditions like that.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. I would not have made my comment if I was aware of that situation. Sorry...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I'm very sorry to hear that. I would not have made my comment if I was aware of that situation. Sorry...
    No prob, you couldn't have known. Like Cyclone says, it's just not worth the risk. Hell the road crews here still haven't plowed my street from this morning yet.

How are the road crews down here in Cincinnati? All I've ever known are the suburbs north of Detroit and this campus, which are always cleared...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-27-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Eh, the snow isn't the major problem - it's mostly the ice.

My perspective changed when I bought a new car too. All through high school, college and whatnot, I drove around in basically a beater. Start'er up, scrape'er off, drive around wherever in whatever weather. When the car doesn't do much else than run (sometimes barely), I'm not as worried about driving it around in snow and ice. Though getting stuck for several hours is always terrible, as R4L illustrated (sorry about your loss, R4L).

Then I spent some cash on a car ... and I'd rather just keep that car in the garage in this weather.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Eh, the snow isn't the major problem - it's mostly the ice.

My perspective changed when I bought a new car too. All through high school, college and whatnot, I drove around in basically a beater. Start'er up, scrape'er off, drive around wherever in whatever weather. When the car doesn't do much else than run (sometimes barely), I'm not as worried about driving it around in snow and ice. Though getting stuck for several hours is always terrible, as R4L illustrated (sorry about your loss, R4L).

Then I spent some cash on a car ... and I'd rather just keep that car in the garage in this weather.
    I'm in the same boat. That is why I kept my old Explorer as a beater. It's a 4x4, does great in the snow. It's old 1997, with 122k miles on it, if it gets dinged or whatever, I don't really care.

So far north of Dayton it is sleet and snow mixed.

I'm ok with that as long as it wants. Ice can go the other way.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?