Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joey Gathright To Sign With Cubs

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Joey Gathright To Sign With Cubs

Per MLBTradeRumors.com and Chicago radio stations..

Word from WSCR 670 in Chicago is that the Cubs will sign outfielder Joey Gathright. We've heard the same from a source. Gathright, 28 in April, was non-tendered by the Royals on Friday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Gatheright To Sign With Cubs

That guy is an excellent defender, and seems to have a decent eye at the plate.

Not much power to speak of, but he should prove useful as a spare for the Stinking Cubs.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Don't they already have a younger version of him in Felix Pie?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't they already have a younger version of him in Felix Pie?
    Sort of. I have the sense that Pie has way more power and much less discipline though. They are both good defenders, I think.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Sort of. I have the sense that Pie has way more power and much less discipline though. They are both good defenders, I think.
    Wow the poor mans versions of CPatt & Taveras. Now if they just had Dusty back and we had Lou (like should have occured to begin with) we wouldn't have to worry about the Cubs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Joey Gathright more like Joey Gathwrong
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I love Gathright. He's not very good, but I love him.

So much better an option than Taveras, whom to quote puffy "I loathe"
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    So much better an option than Taveras, whom to quote puffy "I loathe"
    What's so much better about Gathright? Granted, Gathright is a little bit better as a defender, but overall, I'd say they're pretty much equal, even though Taveras is better at slugging and stealing bases.

Code:
    Willy Taveras        AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG *OPS+  TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     162 Game Avg        591   88  167  18  4   2   33  51 11  35  98  .283  .331  .337   72  199  12   3   0   9   4

Joey Gathright       AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG *OPS+  TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     162 Game Avg        455   67  120  12  3   0   38  31 11  37  81  .263  .328  .304   68  138  13   2   0   8   6

I worry that this signing is the Cubs' way replacing Pie so they can trade him to the Padres for Peavy.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I worry that this signing is the Cubs' way replacing Pie so they can trade him to the Padres for Peavy.
    From the Chicago Sun Times

Cubs looking to shop Pie
    The Cubs just signed a guy who's so fast, he already has run past Felix Pie on the outfield depth chart and looks like he's about to run Pie right out of the organization. What's certain is this: Former Rays and Royals outfielder Joey Gathright is a left-handed hitter with more experience, at least as much defensive versatility and better baserunning ability and instincts than Pie, and he made a better impression on manager Lou Piniella with Tampa Bay than Pie has made in Chicago. With the Cubs pursuing free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley and with three other outfielders locked in, there's room for only one Gathright-Pie type. It's doubtful Pie -- who recently was considered the organization's top prospect -- will last the offseason without being traded, considering he's out of options and was a long shot to make the 25-man roster out of spring training even before Gathright was signed.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-17-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Re: Joey Gathright To Sign With Cubs

I'd like to see Walt go after Felix Pie. He's got a ton of talent and is still only 23 years old.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Joey Gathright To Sign With Cubs

Pie for Roenicke?

Turn Off Ads?