Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Jake Peavy

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,737

    Jake Peavy

    I know all about his no-trade clauses, his preferred teams, etc. Now that it appears neither Atlanta nor the Cubs will be trading for him, will he open up his list? Regardless of whether or not he does, suspend disbelief for a minute and assume he's willing to play anywhere. Assume you're Walt- what would be your absolute best offer to Kevin Towers for Jake Peavy at this moment? Assume you get one chance to make your best offer- kind of like an auction. What would it entail? (Try to factor in what the Padres would be interested in)

    I'll start:

    I would give them their choice of any four from the following:

    Homer Bailey
    Daryl Thompson
    Ramon Ramirez
    Josh Roenicke
    Zach Stewart
    Jared Burton
    Chris Valaika
    Todd Frazier
    Drew Stubbs

    Or if they wanted Encarnacion, I would offer him + any two from above. I wouldn't trade Cueto, Volquez, or Bruce, and I would assume they wouldn't be interested in Votto (because of Gonzalez.)
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Jake Peavy

    If the Cubs couldn't make it happen, what makes you think the Reds could make it happen?

  4. #3
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If the Cubs couldn't make it happen, what makes you think the Reds could make it happen?
    The Reds have chips to trade. I almost think I would trade anyone in the organization for him. The Cubs don't have anything to trade.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If the Cubs couldn't make it happen, what makes you think the Reds could make it happen?
    I don't think it will happen, but I think we could put together a package of young players as attractive as the Cubbies - even w/o the "big four"

  6. #5
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I don't think it will happen, but I think we could put together a package of young players as attractive as the Cubbies - even w/o the "big four"
    Ok, but do you trade a combination of Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto or any of the other warm bodies in the farm system?

    If I'm the Padres, I'm asking for all 4 of those to start, and not trading Peavy to the Reds unless I feel like I've bent Walt over and screwed him with his pants on.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ok, but do you trade a combination of Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto or any of the other warm bodies in the farm system?

    If I'm the Padres, I'm asking for all 4 of those to start, and not trading Peavy to the Reds unless I feel like I've bent Walt over and screwed him with his pants on.
    Then I don't do it. I hold on to the core - if I'm dealing for Peavy, I'm trying to compete and I'd have a tougher time tihout them.


    I said I didn't see it happening, but my previous post wasn't really about acquiring him. I was just saying that the Reds could make an offer as attractive as the Cubs made.

    I'd be willing to give them Francisco, Stubbs, Bailey, and Roenicke. I 'd even offer them another prospect or replace Francisco with Encarnacion. The Padres might not like it and might insist on one of the "big four. " but I believe it would be better than what the Scrubs could offer.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Harang is from San Diego!.. Would they Take Harang , Bailey and Roenicke?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Harang is from San Diego!.. Would they Take Harang , Bailey and Roenicke?
    I'd offer them Harang or Arroyo, but if they were willing to take on a contract like theirs, they wouldn't be dealing Peavy

  10. #9
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Jake Peavy

    I don't believe we have to have him so my offer would reflect that more than the opposite. And let's not forget that you are doing them a big favor as well by taking on all that salary that they can afford but just barely and I'm sure would much rather have the prospects at this point.

    Off Limits
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bruce
    Votto
    Frazier
    Alonso
    Soto
    Burton

    I'd offer them a fair but unspectacular deal, but suited to fit their needs with a little work on their part.

    What they desperately need for that Organization is:

    A CF who can cover ground and who could potentially hit for power.
    Check: Drew Stubbs

    A power arm that might be able to replace Peavy at some point.
    Check: Homer Bailey

    A solid SS option that can hit and field.
    Check: Chris Valaika

    A guy who could eventually hit for power even there.
    Check: Juan Francisco

    An option that can be a bridge to Valaika at SS
    Check: Alex Gonzales (Or Kepp if I must)

    What I want:
    Jake Peavy & Brian Giles

    I don't expect them to bite perse but again 4 of our top 10-15 prospects is a solid offer and guys who fit their needs and we are taking on significant salary. If they want a 5th prospect maybe a Matt Maloney or a Sean Watson or the like I would go that much further but that's it. Them taking on Gonzo isn't necc. a deal breaker but I will try to make them feel like it unless they press me to the wall on the issue then I would send them Keppinger instead.

    I'd then turn and explore an Arroyo to Atlanta deal for Escobar or to Texas for an Andrus or Cruz based deal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  11. #10
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,692

    Re: Jake Peavy

    The Cubs look like they are gearing up for a move now.

    They traded Marquis for Luis Vizcaino saved some bucks and deepened the pen.
    They signed Aaron Miles as IF depth.
    They dealt Mark Derosa to Cle for three pitching prospects.

    I wonder if the next move isn't Peavey. They have more pitching prospects to trade. They can move a pen arm with Vizcaino on board and have opened a rotation spot with Marquis gone. Hmmm?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,518

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Cubs look like they are gearing up for a move now.

    They traded Marquis for Luis Vizcaino saved some bucks and deepened the pen.
    They signed Aaron Miles as IF depth.
    They dealt Mark Derosa to Cle for three pitching prospects.

    I wonder if the next move isn't Peavey. They have more pitching prospects to trade. They can move a pen arm with Vizcaino on board and have opened a rotation spot with Marquis gone. Hmmm?
    Bingo.

    It's been reported that the pitchers coming to Chicago are going to the Pads as part of the Peavy deal. Otherwise, the Derosa deal is senseless.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,518

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ok, but do you trade a combination of Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto or any of the other warm bodies in the farm system?

    If I'm the Padres, I'm asking for all 4 of those to start, and not trading Peavy to the Reds unless I feel like I've bent Walt over and screwed him with his pants on.
    The pads have recieved few offers for Peavy, and the buzz about him hasn't been something to suggest that Towers can stand there and demand "Votto, Bruce, Cueto and Volquez" or even one be included in a trade.

    A $23M per year Peavy simply doesn't have that kind of value, especially when there are rumours of a possible injury.

    He's worth some prospects, but not worth clearing out the cupboard of our very best prospects. look what kind of crap the Cubs have been offering.

    What is Towers going to say? You either give me Votto, Bruce, Volquez and Cueto, or I'm trading Peavy to the Cubs for a bunch of crap? Towers is not in a position of stength. We say that last year when the Twins were desperately trying to find someone to take Santana, who's a better pitcher than Peavy.

    When Peavy is traded (and he will be) it will be for much less than what the Reds could have given. But a $23M Peavy isn't worth Fraizer, Bailey, Stubbs and Burton, or whatever. Not for any team with a payroll of less than $100M.

    When Peavy gets traded, it will be Tower who looks like he got screwed.

  14. #13
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Jake Peavy

    The Cubs farm system is awful. They have maybe one very good prospect and that's Josh Vitters. Any deal involving Peavy to the Cubs will be an awful trade for the Padres IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  15. #14
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,692

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The pads have recieved few offers for Peavy, and the buzz about him hasn't been something to suggest that Towers can stand there and demand "Votto, Bruce, Cueto and Volquez" or even one be included in a trade.

    A $23M per year Peavy simply doesn't have that kind of value, especially when there are rumours of a possible injury.

    He's worth some prospects, but not worth clearing out the cupboard of our very best prospects. look what kind of crap the Cubs have been offering.

    What is Towers going to say? You either give me Votto, Bruce, Volquez and Cueto, or I'm trading Peavy to the Cubs for a bunch of crap? Towers is not in a position of stength. We say that last year when the Twins were desperately trying to find someone to take Santana, who's a better pitcher than Peavy.

    When Peavy is traded (and he will be) it will be for much less than what the Reds could have given. But a $23M Peavy isn't worth Fraizer, Bailey, Stubbs and Burton, or whatever. Not for any team with a payroll of less than $100M.

    When Peavy gets traded, it will be Tower who looks like he got screwed.
    Numbers are off a bit:

    2009 - $8 Million
    2010 - $15 Million
    2011 - $16 Million
    2012 - $17 Million
    2013 - $22 Million or a $4 Million buy-out.

    That's not bad. I'd go Bailey, Valaika, Thompson, Roenicke, Stubbs, Frazier and Francisco for him. Then I'd consder dealing Arroyo for position help. You'd actually save money in 09 and not take a huge hit in 2010.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,057

    Re: Jake Peavy

    I'd go Bailey, Valaika, Thompson, Roenicke, Stubbs, Frazier and Francisco for him.
    Wow. For one player? There's talk that Peavy has arm problems, too. I'd be very surprised if he is productive through the length of his contract.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25