Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Tribe Has Spoken: Feds seize disease & termite infested "Survivor" show artifacts

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The Tribe Has Spoken: Feds seize disease & termite infested "Survivor" show artifacts

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/a...items1215.html

Feds seize artifacts from hit show 'Survivor'

Dec. 15, 2008 06:21 PM
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The federal tribe has spoken: A contaminated monkey skull, termite-infested statues and other African artifacts of the TV show "Survivor" will not be allowed into the U.S.

Officials disclosed Monday that customs inspectors in Houston seized a variety of restricted items that were being shipped to the U.S. in a container belonging to the CBS reality show. Among the items: the hide from an African cat suspected of carrying a dangerous disease, a mandrill skull, civet hides, parrot, poultry and ostrich feathers, bones and cowries shells.

The 17th edition of "Survivor" took place in the West African nation of Gabon, the country from which the container was shipped. The final episode was shown Sunday night.

The imports were seized Nov. 18 out of concern that they were contaminated with pests and disease that could harm U.S. agriculture, according to officials. Civet cats are mongoose-like animals that are a delicacy in China and are suspected of spreading severe acute respiratory syndrome - SARS - to humans. Inspectors also found wooden statues with termites.

The restricted goods were fumigated by the Agriculture Department, said Customs spokeswoman Yolanda Chaotes. She said the prohibited items were sent away from the U.S. and no decision has been made about penalties on the importer.

Jeffery Baldwin Sr., Custom's director of field operations at the Houston port, said: "Introducing an exotic disease or pest could harm our citizens or devastate our agriculture crops."

Officials from "Survivor" did not return immediate requests for comment. Contestants are eliminated from the show each week with the mantra: "The tribe has spoken."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Tribe Has Spoken: Feds seize disease & termite infested "Survivor" show artif

Survivor is so 1990s, anyway.

Re: The Tribe Has Spoken: Feds seize disease & termite infested "Survivor" show artif

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I still watch every episode, it's my favorite show on TV.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I didn't even know Survivor was still on TV

After going through a really dull patch, the last few series have been pretty engrossing.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    After going through a really dull patch, the last few series have been pretty engrossing.
    Very true, this last one was pretty darn good, maybe even the best they have done since the 1st season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Curious, since it premiered in 2000.

Back to the topic in the OP... apparently Bob's fake idol made it past the customs inspectors, since Jeff Probst displayed it on the reunion show.
    /r/reds

I have to admit that I still watch and my favorite won this season.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I didn't even know Survivor was still on TV

Nowhere near as good as "Rock of Love Girls: Charm School".

At least, that is what Nate was telling me.

Maybe they could just seize the whole show?

Turn Off Ads?