Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phillies sign 46 year old Moyer to 2 year deal

Re: Phillies sign 46 year old Moyer to 2 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Where did you get this? It is absolutely brilliant!
    I'm not sure of the original source, but I believe someone from ESPN made it. I post it every chance I get.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillies sign 46 year old Moyer to 2 year deal

Interesting follow up piece in the NY Times including an interesting paragraph about other pitchers who have played late into life.

Jamie Moyer wears No. 50, and at this rate, he could be pitching when his age equals his uniform number. Moyer, the oldest player in baseball, will retain that statInus for 2009 — and beyond — after agreeing to a two-year deal Monday to continue pitching for the Philadelphia Phillies.

“I try not to look that far down the road,” Moyer said in a conference call. “I do know I’m 46 now, and I’m trying to appreciate where I am and the opportunities that I had. This year was an exciting year for myself, and my family, and the city and the organization.”

Moyer insisted on a two-year deal, and the Phillies are taking a gamble investing in a multiyear deal for him. But he can point to his remarkable durability, his results and his mentoring of younger pitchers like the ace Cole Hamels as reasons he remains an asset. Moyer, who relies on guile and finesse, has joked that he does not have to worry about losing velocity off his fastball.

Moyer, who will be slotted fourth in the rotation, said he never considered retirement, not even with the seemingly perfect end to last season: his first World Series title, captured in front of his hometown fans. He went 16-7 — 4-0 in September — with a 3.71 earned run average. It was his lowest E.R.A. since 2003 and helped Philadelphia to its second consecutive National League East title.

Although he faltered in his first two postseason starts, taking the Phillies’ only loss in each of their first two series, Moyer fired six and one-third superb innings against Tampa Bay in a Game 3 victory in the World Series. He was the second-oldest pitcher to start a postseason game, behind Jack Quinn, who was 46 years 103 days in 1929 as a member of the Philadelphia Athletics.

“I felt no reason why I couldn’t pitch next year,” said Moyer, who often arrives six hours before night games to exercise on an underwater treadmill. “And having that security of the second year, it pushes me and it drives me. And we’ll see where it goes. I’m excited for this up-and-coming season. That’s where I’m going to put my attention to, and we’ll deal with the following year when it comes.”

Moyer has 246 career victories, third behind Tom Glavine (305) and Randy Johnson (295) among active players, making it unlikely he will reach the 300-win plateau. Should he remain healthy and pitch in late 2010, Moyer would end that season as the sixth-oldest player since 1900 to throw a regular-season pitch, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Surpassing Phil Niekro (48), Hoyt Wilhelm (49) and even Quinn (50) could be feasible, Nick Altrock (56) and Satchel Paige (allegedly 59) probably not. But, with Moyer, anything seems possible.

“Jamie’s going to do what he can to play out this contract and be an effective pitcher for us,” Phillies General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. “And if you ask Jamie, I would imagine he thinks he’s going to play out many more contracts beyond it.”
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?