0 0%
  • Shawn Cumberland

3 8.11%
  • Chris Heisy

2 5.41%
  • Other

7 18.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odds of a current Reds' minor leaguer claiming the final OF spot in ST?

Odds of a current Reds' minor leaguer claiming the final OF spot in ST?

Dye, Taveras, Nix, Dickerson, Hairston, Wiggington, Hopper.

We've bandied a lot of names since just before the winter meetings. Who do you believe COULD take the job from within the organization?

Then explain why said player COULD do it.

I don't believe this scenario is very likely, but I'm tired of arguing about Taveras.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odds of a current Reds' minor leaguer claiming the final OF spot in ST?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm going with Dorn here. His extreme splits indicate he might be a good platoon partner. that's a decent enough way to ease a guy into life as a major leaguer. let him get some garbage AB's against LH's in blowouts. He's only 23, and is likely slotted for AAA, but he's skipped a level before, (MWL, straight to the FSL after Billings) and did EXTREMELY well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with Dorn as well. I probably shouldn't have because what I get from those inside the organization is that he is the type who is going to have to prove himself over and over. Still, I think his game is the most major league ready of all the guys that play outfield in the minors.

If I had to bet on a current minor leaguer to break camp as a semi-regular, it would be Dorn for the same reason TRF stated. I still put the odds of it at very, very slim.

I think the chances are very slim also especially ro start the season. I believe the chances ibcrease quite a bit that one of the youngsters is up by June or July.

I'd leave Dorn in AAA for most of the season and have him face lefties & righties everyday. He wouldn't be up before Sept. w/p a MONSTER season. I see no way Stubbs starts the year in Cincy, but if he shows the abilty to get on base in the first half, I think it's fairly conceivable that he's up after two or three months, in a platoon with Dickerson.

I chose other in the pool. I still think Jocko adds a couple of OFs and Hairston between now and ST. If he should fail though, I think there's an outside chance Frazier inpresses with a huge springand they stick im in LF. Since he has played little, if any, out there I think it's highly, highly unlikely, but then that's how highly unlikely I think a rookie OF on Opening day is.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-16-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Other = none.

No chance any of these guys claims a starting job at the opening of the 09 season, in my opinion.

I went with Cumberland. He's a left-handed bat, plays all three outfield spots, has a little power, and has some speed. His plate discipline is less than desirable, but his other skills make him a good candidate for a bench position.

I don't see Stubbs as being a platoon partner because I think the Reds want him to get lots of at-bats and continue to develop. The same goes for Dorn and Heisey, too.

As for Henry, I think he theoretically has a good shot, too, but although he has good plate discipline, he's right-handed and not quite as skilled as Cumberland imo.

A question before I vote: how good is the outfield defense of Cumberland and Henry? If Dickerson cannot do the job in CF, would we be, in any way, worse off with either of these two (or both) than with Taveras?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    A question before I vote: how good is the outfield defense of Cumberland and Henry? If Dickerson cannot do the job in CF, would we be, in any way, worse off with either of these two (or both) than with Taveras?
    doug could answer that better than I, but I believe Henry played some CF at AA.

I don't think any of them will make the team but Danny Dorn has the best chance of the players listed. He's 24 years old and is coming off a season in which he posted an .906 OPS in Double-A. I figure he'll most likely begin the 2009 season in Triple-A and receive a callup to Cincy sometime during the summer.

I went with Dorn if only because he's the one guy in the group with an impact bat that could really turn heads in ST. The other guys, save Stubbs (who Jocketty has said needs more time in AAA), are more known commodities in the Chris Denorfia mold. They might be productive players down the road, but they don't do any one thing quite well enough to force their way on to a roster in ST.

Dorn is old enough and has been dominant enough in the minors that I could see him making the jump -- or at least being asked to. If you're talking about a 5th OF situation, I think you'd see Hopper first.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd go with none.

There isn't a single one of those guys ready to play in the bigs, and there's no sense burning an option to find that out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

They both play center field good enough to not embarrass themselves, but I wouldn't rate either of them any better than average. Actually, I'd say that, defensively, Cumberland is average and Henry is slightly below average. With that said, Sean Henry could probably have a .230 batting average and get on base as much as Willy Taveras.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cumberland and Henry can play CF, but they aren't on the same level as Dickerson or even Jay Bruce really. I still don't think Taveras is any type of answer. If Dickerson can't cut in CF (which I think he can, especially if protected against tough lefties), then the best move is likely to slide Bruce over to CF for the remainder of the season until you can find another option and put someone capable in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cumberland and Henry can play CF, but they aren't on the same level as Dickerson or even Jay Bruce really. I still don't think Taveras is any type of answer. If Dickerson can't cut in CF (which I think he can, especially if protected against tough lefties), then the best move is likely to slide Bruce over to CF for the remainder of the season until you can find another option and put someone capable in RF.
    The Bruce to CF option is one I've advocated for as well and am frankly surprised we have heard more about. Flanked by capable gloves (aka not Dunn and Junior), he's fine out there and it makes the job of adding offense much easier.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?