Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fay's Fabulous Free Agent Fascinations

Fay's Fabulous Free Agent Fascinations

The latest:

I've got 30 gallons of bottled water, enough canned goods to last until Easter and 24 bags of salt. So I guess I'm ready for the snow storm. I'm kidding, of course. But for those of you who don't live in the Cincinnati area, let's just say folks around here (particularly TV news people) get a tad worked up when it's snows.

I've got a good solid inch on my driveway. But before I clear the driveway, let's warm things up with a like Hot Stove talk. Let's continue free agent discussion. Here's the right-hander hitters available with my take on the chances of the Reds signing them and the merits of such a move:

Jerry Hairston Jr.: He's the most likely to sign because he's only one out there with an offer from the Reds. I think he'll sign. But it's not a lock. He's got offers from the defending World Series champion Phillies and the Mariners. He's close to Seattle's new manager. I think it would be good signing for the Reds, but losing him wouldn't be a killer blow. As good as he was last year, he played only 80 games.

Willy Taveras: The Reds called him as soon as he became a free agent, so the interest is there. The best thing about him is he's 26. If his on-base is .367 -- like it was in 2007 -- he's a good leadoff man. If it's .308 -- like it was in '08 -- not so much. He has no power but those 68 steals got him into scoring position a lot last year.

Juan Rivera: The Reds have been talking to him at least since the Winter Meetings. He was on his way to being star until he broke his leg. If he can approach what he did in 2006 (.310/.362/.525), you'e got something. At the very at least, the Reds could platoon him with Chris Dickerson.

Ty Wigginton: A very good right-handed bat. If he was a natural outfielder, he'd be worth the money. He's not great in the outfield, neither was Adam Dunn. Is it worth moving Edwin Encarnacion to left and playing Wigginton at third? I've heard Wigginton is a great clubhouse leader. The fact the Reds didn't act quickly tells me they won't sign him.

Pat Burrell: He, like a lot of other free agents, is looking around. But I think his price is too high for the Reds. His numbers are similar to Adam Dunn's -- only with less power. The length of the deal would be the key for me. You don't want to sign a 31-year-old guy for any longer than three years.

Milton Bradley: His numbers last season (.321/.436/.563) were excellent. He only made $5.2 million and he's only 30. The risk is huge given his past problems but so is the reward. I don't see it happening. But it would make things interesting.

Rocco Baldelli: His health makes him a huge question. But this guy was a Jay Bruce-type prospect five years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds had Doc Kremchek and Co. at least looking at the medical reports. I think he's worth a shot if he's willing to come in as a fourth outfield. If he get past his medical problems, you've got a five-tool player.

Gabe Kapler: He hit .310./.340/.498 with the Brewers last year after coming out of the retirement. He's only 32. He might make a good option for the fifth outfielder.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay's Fabulous Free Agent Fascinations

On that particular list, I like Kapler, Baldelli, Wiggington and Hairston.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I want Baldelli plus Bradley or Rivera.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

That was surprisingly coherent and somewhat reasonable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd like to see a Fay's Fabulous Free Agent Baseball Writers List with John Fay on it.

Nice regurgitation.....guess it's slow in Redsland
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Must've gotten it from here.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I say we definitely see
    Willy Taveras as our CF leadoff guy... no platoon, but he's Walt/Dusty's CF leadoff guy... we kinda just have to start warming up to it I'm afraid.

I think Walt signs:
    - Willy Taveras CF
    - Hairston/Miles Utility guy
    -Bradley/Rivera/Wigginton LF

I hope he signs:
    Kapler -for the bench 4/5 outfielder

Also - combining 2 threads... if we could trade for Escobar... I'd like to see him sign Wolfe or Lowe to replace Arroyo or Harang whatever it takes to get Escobar.

Taveras
    Escobar
    Bruce
    Bradley
    Votto
    EdE
    Phillips
    Hernandez

wouldn't shake out to be that bad of a lineup.

Rotation would be above average...
    Harang
    Volquez
    Wolfe
    Cueto
    Owings?

Bench would be decent..
    Kapler
    Hannigan
    Hairston
    Keppinger
    Dickerson

pen would be average/good...
    Cordero
    Burton
    Bray
    Weathers
    Lincoln
    Rhodes
    Massett

On this list, I like Bradley. He and Burrell are the only real impact bats on the list. I am afraid that too many teams are bidding for Bradley, though.

I would like to see Hairston re-signed for the bench, and wouldn't mind seeing them go after Baldelli as well. Maybe Kapler, too.

I don't mind Wigginton, if they plan on trading EE for a shortstop or a starting pitcher (sorry, but it will probably take a decade before I can comfortably feel the team doesn't need more pitching), but I don't want to see the Reds sign him, stick him or EE in left, and say, "See, we've got our impact bat." He's put a couple of good years together, but I think that would be a stretch.

And yet the further we go into the off-season, the more likely something like this becomes.

A problem with Burrell or Bradley (or Dye) is that we have Dorn maybe only 3 months away. why spend big bucks on a DH type for LF when Dorn is close?
    Wiggington is a better pick that these guys because he can play other positions giving the Reds flexibility. While I doubt he is gold glove caliber anywhere I believe he plays OF better than these guys and also plays 3B better than EE.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    ... aka probably not written by Fay

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    A problem with Burrell or Bradley (or Dye) is that we have Dorn maybe only 3 months away. why spend big bucks on a DH type for LF when Dorn is close?
    Wiggington is a better pick that these guys because he can play other positions giving the Reds flexibility. While I doubt he is gold glove caliber anywhere I believe he plays OF better than these guys and also plays 3B better than EE.
    IMO, Dorn is more than 3 months away.

However, he's probably the closest one to the MLB level.

That's the beauty for a guy like Dye. He's only for one year.(And one Homer Bailey + others)

I'm curious as the winter goes, if the Reds won't be able to talk to a guy like Burrell and say, sign here for one year, we'll give you a big contract, and you can test the free agent market next year. Maybe with the economy, the FA market will pick up.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?