Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips-When to move?

Brandon Phillips-When to move?

When do you try to trade BP?

First, let's take a look at his contract:

4 years/$27M (2008-11), plus 2012 club option

re-signed by Cincinnati 2/15/08 (avoided arbitration, $4.2M-$2.7M)
    $0.75M signing bonus
    08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    escalators based on awards may bring total package to $43.25M (2008 Gold Glove increases 2009 salary by $0.25M to $5M)

if traded, 2012 club option becomes mutual option

Starting in 2011, BP gets really expensive. When do you try to move him? After 2009? Now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips-When to move?

This off-season would be my druthers. Sell that Gold Glove for all it's worth.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    When do you try to trade BP?

First, let's take a look at his contract:

Starting in 2011, BP gets really expensive. When do you try to move him? After 2009? Now?
    By 2011, $11 million just might be peanuts; lots of econ types think inflation might be just around the corner.

The Reds have a very good thing in BP. Yes, he has some flaws, as do most players not named Pujols.

But I'd ride this pony as long as I could.
    sorry we're boring

I'd trade him as soon as someone offers an impact shortstop or catcher, no matter when it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    By 2011, $11 million just might be peanuts; lots of econ types think inflation might be just around the corner.

The Reds have a very good thing in BP. Yes, he has some flaws, as do most players not named Pujols.

Agreed. The defense is bad enough, why trade the best defender on the team? Of course, if I were knocked over with an offer I'd trade him, but otherwise I'd keep him.

When should the Reds trade Phillips? Last offseason. It seems to me that his value is unlikely to ever be as high as it was a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd trade him as soon as someone offers an impact shortstop or catcher, no matter when it is.
    Russell Martin + Kemp for Brandon Phillips + Homer +........

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. The defense is bad enough, why trade the best defender on the team? Of course, if I were knocked over with an offer I'd trade him, but otherwise I'd keep him.
    If you are ever going to get knocked over by an offer, it's probably this offseason. He's still cheap and he just won a Gold Glove. I see no harm in at least seeing what other team's are willing to give up for him. His value has got to be pretty high right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I wouldn't make that trade were I Ned Colletti. That said, I'm probably a lot smarter than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

That's my general thinking too. Plus, it strikes me as self-mutilating for the worst defensive team in the NL to get rid of its only plus defender.

Also, the Reds would become perhaps the dullest team in existence if Phillips were to be shipped out.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I don't think that would scratch the surface of what the Dodgers would expect in return, but I'd do it in a heart beat. Even if you added Todd Frazier, Danny Dorn, and Matt Maloney, I would let that deal happen.

I start quietly shopping him yesterday. He's in his peak and he's not likely to get any better with the glove or the bat. He's only going to get more expensive. His trade value will only go down unless he makes a big improvement in his game, which isn't likely.

Obviously the value has to be there. You certainly don't move him just to clear salary, because he is a bargain given his production. But he represents a great opportunity to add multiple impact players in the right deal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't think that would scratch the surface of what the Dodgers would expect in return, but I'd do it in a heart beat. Even if you added Todd Frazier, Danny Dorn, and Matt Maloney, I would let that deal happen.
    Yeah you're most likely right in terms of added pieces needed, but the Dodgers supposedly aren't in love with Martin and I think they somewhat undervalue what Kemp brings to the table. I'd be willing to add just about any pieces outside of the "Big 4" that they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I start quietly shopping him yesterday. He's in his peak and he's not likely to get any better with the glove or the bat. He's only going to get more expensive. His trade value will only go down unless he makes a big improvement in his game, which isn't likely.

Obviously the value has to be there. You certainly don't move him just to clear salary, because he is a bargain given his production. But he represents a great opportunity to add multiple impact players in the right deal.
    This is where I am too.

There's some team out there that would overpay (in talent) for BP, I'd be searching for those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Also, the Reds would become perhaps the dullest team in existence if Phillips were to be shipped out.

Well Taveras will probably be on the team, and he's probably , at most, exciting.

Turn Off Ads?