Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thinking ahead to 2010 - 2011

Thinking ahead to 2010 - 2011

Just thinking ahead on a cold, snowy December afternoon...

If Frazier and Alonzo make it someone will have to be traded. What lineup do you envision?

Dickerson CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Alonzo 1B
    Hernandez C
    Janish SS

or do we keep EE and trade Phillips and put Frazier at 2B? Or trade Dickerson and put Bruce in center and move both Votto and EE to the outfield? Interesting possibilities. In my book, Votto and Bruce stay. What's the best move?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thinking ahead to 2010 - 2011

there is no point in thinking that far ahead in professional sports...especially baseball. Teams have such a high turn around rate from season beginning to season ending let alone season after this coming one.

With that being said I hope Janish isnt our starting SS. He'll do fine defensively but his bat isnt going to get it done as an everyday player.

The organization definitely needs to think about the next couple of years. They can't predict whether they want to trade Phillips or EE, but they need to think about various contingencies to see where they project to have depth or lack depth.

For example, they need to have some idea what they'll do if EE steps up this year. He'll be expensive (due to arbitration), but very good. What if he stays the same? Likewise, what do they do if Harang doesn't bounce back? What if one of the minor leaguers flames out or surprises on the upside? Walt and the rest of the front office almost certainly have rough outlines of how they might proceed in terms of budget/players for the major scenarios we can envision plus many more I haven't thought about.

What if we get an Albert Pujols type this spring (someone who comes from nowhere and becomes one of the best hitters in baseball)? What if we get two or three? It would be pretty sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CF Stubbs/Dickerson
    SS Valaika (I'd prefer him at 2B but until we get a good young shortstop, he'll be our guy)
    1B Votto/Alonso (I have a feeling that were going to trade one of them)
    RF Bruce
    3B Encarnacion (Until Soto or Francisco are ready, unless he breaks out and improves his defense)
    LF Frazier/Dorn
    2B Phillips
    C Hanigan

Rotation will likely be:

Volquez
    Cueto (Yes, he's going to be our #2 by 2010, maybe even the ace)
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey/Owings/Ramirez
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Turn Off Ads?