Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we have the best rotation in the NL?

Re: Do we have the best rotation in the NL?

Cesar to me the best case would be owings takes the job and does well, probably around league average, then bailey gets some time in AAA and is ready to come up sometime in july to contribute. I would agree that if you need some help in april or may then ramirez is probably going to have to be the guy but for the longterm I think bailey can still be a top pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope you are right about Bailey, but I'm really concerned that he may be one that doesn't work out. I live in Indiana and made the drive to Cincy for his debut, which was exciting, but what I've watched and read about him since then doesn't make me feel optimistic. Hopefully, those feelings are completely wrong. He's certainly young enough that he has a few years to figure things out.

In addition to thinking that Ramon Ramirez would perform better than Bailey as a Red next season, I'm also looking forward to the possibility of a Ramon Ramirez-Ramon Hernandez battery. Should keep George Grande and Co. on their toes.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 12-17-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Had more of my useless drivel to add

I am amazed on how quickly everyone dismissed the Marlins and the Giants..Both have extremely young rotations that could easily take another step forward with both pitching in rather large parks..

Noone dismissed them. I just don't see those teams in the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by laxtonto View Post
    I am amazed on how quickly everyone dismissed the Marlins and the Giants..Both have extremely young rotations that could easily take another step forward with both pitching in rather large parks..
    The top of the Giants rotation is very good with Cain and Lincecum, but I don't think the rest of the rotation is on par to make the rotation as a whole very good

Matt Cain 116 ERA+ 4.67 xFIP
    Tim Lincecum 167 ERA+ 3.37 xFIP
    Barry Zito 85 ERA+ 5.45 xFIP
    Jonathan Sanchez 87 ERA+ 4.36 xFIP
    Kevin Correia 72 ERA+ 5.31 xFIP

The only one of those pitchers I expect to significantly improve is Sanchez but the numbers indicate that those pitchers are no where near the reds ability let alone the snakes.

The Marlins have a rotation full of potential with guys like Andrew Miller, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad, and Josh Johnson, but there are just too many ?s now to accurately predict what those young guys will do.

I continue to wonder, why more Managers don't face the volatile Zambrano in the first 2-3 innings with the intent of getting in his head! If he is on, batters should keep calling time, stepping out, questioning the umpire, asking for a new ball, etc. anything to irritate Zambrano. He gets p-----d, and he blows up! He should be #1 or #2 in all of MLB, except he fall's apart when peeved. Talented yes, smart, nah! Takes Cubbies down a notch...

C'mon guys, let's not get carried away. We're ok, but I don't want to rush to say we are the greats. Potentially maybe, right now no.

Harang - Terrible year in '08

Arroyo - Terrible start to '08, almost laughable

Volquez - Great start, cooled off considerably

Cueto - Outstanding rookie performance, we hope it continues and beyond making him one of the greats in the game. But he's not there yet.

5th Starter - Don't say Bailey, he's gotta prove it at the big league level first. Owings imploded after a decent start. Question mark at 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    C'mon guys, let's not get carried away. We're ok, but I don't want to rush to say we are the greats. Potentially maybe, right now no.

Cueto - Outstanding rookie performance, we hope it continues and beyond making him one of the greats in the game. But he's not there yet.

5th Starter - Don't say Bailey, he's gotta prove it at the big league level first. Owings imploded after a decent start. Question mark at 5th starter.
    Go compare us to the staffs that the rest of the league has and you will find that we have alot more talent and less question marks then most teams. So no we may not have a rotation full of #1's but compared to the rest of the National League we are better then average.

Cincinnati starters, as a group, had an ERA of 4.97 in 2008. This tied them for 13th best in the National League. Even if you adjusted for the fact that they played half their games in GABP, it would probably only move them up a notch or two. That is far from being the best rotation in the league. If absolutely everything fell in to place it might be a top 5 staff IMO. Which is pretty good. But how often does everything go right for a team? And what moves have they made in the off-season that markedly improves the starting five?
    Is Ramon Hernandez that much better than Paul Bako at calling a game? Probably not. Let's let this staff do something before annointing it the best in the league.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-17-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post

I must be one of the few people who is concerned about Harang. IF he returns to his '07 form, then this rotation is solid. Without him, nada.

If you eliminate Arroyo's 4 bad starts, his e.r.a. otherwise is about 3.50. He took one for the team in 3 of those bad starts. He's the Tom Browning of this staff. Lots of innings, either has it or he doesn't.

Definitely cooled down some, but still solid. Needs to cut down on his walks. Young and is putting it together.

I think he has the most upside of all of them. His second half performance and e.r.a was around 3.50, off the top of my head.

I still wish we'd sign or trade for someone. The 5th starter stats were horrible last year. Solidify this position and if Harang would return to form, this team contends.

If the Reds can't find a bat they like for the price they like, I would look to bring in Ben Sheets. He's not drawing much interest right now and will probably get considerably less than what AJ Burnett got. Maybe 3 years 36-40 million.

Harang
    Sheets
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto

Could look pretty good and would defiantly bump the Reds rotation up a notch, assuming Sheets stays healthy, which is no guarantee.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I think I would rather spend on another position player than send that kind of cash to Sheets or any other high-dollar pitcher for that matter. That fifth spot will be taken by someone, and even though it may take a month before one of the AAA earns a shot, you're still losing just 3-4 starts with Owings or whoever else acts as a fill-in.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

a lot depends on what Arroyo, Harang, Bailey show up this year.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Reds Fans - Where's your optimism and enthusiasm?

Spare me the cynical realism on this thread. No, they were not the best rotation last year. Yes, their ERA ranked 13th. No one on this thread annointed them #1 on opening day.

But think of the possibilities for '09. It's not a pipedream to say they could be top 3 this year. We have something to be excited about. A proven ace, 2of the most talented arms in the league, a solid reliable veteran, and a few decent options for #5. For all those pessimists, please name the teams' rotations you'd rather have. I'll bet you can't come up with more than 5.

Do we have the best rotation in the NL? NO.

What we have is light years ahead of anything we've had over the last 40 years. But every pitcher with the exception of Volquez has major question marks. I'd still love to pay $20M to Derek Lowe for 2 years, or at least see if he'd take it. That would push everyone in the rotation down 1 slot. Then I'd say we'd have the best rotation in the NL. I'd give Lowe $30M over the next 3 years mostly because I think $10M would immediately come back in new Season Ticket sales in the next few months. Put Lowe at the top of the rotation and move everybody down one notch, and it makes me salivate for the season to start.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-20-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Turn Off Ads?