Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we have the best rotation in the NL?

Re: Do we have the best rotation in the NL?

how anyone could nominant bailey over ramirez is absolute inanity

2. Turn Off Ads?

Its hard to say how a few teams rotations look on opening day but I'd guess the Reds have a hard time cracking the top 5.Lets not confuse potential for reality.

1.D Backs

2.Cubs

3.Phils

4.LA

5.NYM

6.Reds

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Its hard to say how a few teams rotations look on opening day but I'd guess the Reds have a hard time cracking the top 5.Lets not confuse potential for reality.

1.D Backs

2.Cubs

3.Phils

4.LA

5.NYM

6.Reds
    D backs, Cubs and Phils are better. Lets look at LA and NY though,
    #1 Billingsley - Harang
    If harang can get back to form this could be closer but for now its obviously billingsley
    #2 Kuroda - Volquez
    I'll take volquez.
    #3 Kershaw - Arroyo
    For the futre I take Kershaw, for 09 Im leaning arroyo. Kershaw has a career total 107 innings, as the league adjusts to him he could face some tough challenges this year.
    #4 Schmidt - Cueto
    Cueto for sure. Schmidt just doesnt have much left, even if ceuto is just league average he will still be better then schmidt.
    #5 Mcdonald - Owings/Bailey/Ramirez
    Once again im going with the reds. Mcdonald doesnt impress me, owings and ramirez should be at least average and bailey has a good bit of upside.
    To me the dodgers have an ace and one good young pitcher. We have an ace (volquez) two better then average veterans (harang, arroyo) a good young pitcher to match kershaw (cueto) and a couple of solid arms for the 5th spot. I would not trade our rotation for theres.

redsfever since you have the mets ranked ahead of the reds lets look at their rotation to...
    #1 Santana - Harang
    Obviously santana
    #2 Maine - Volquez
    Obviously Volquez
    #3 Pelfrey - Arroyo
    This is actually kind of close. The question with Pelfrey is has he finally figured it out or not. If he has then he probably gets the nod. The advantage with arroyo is that he is proven and you pretty much know what your getting from him. I would call this a toss up
    #4 Knight - Cueto
    Cueto
    #5 Niese - Owings/Bailey/Ramirez
    Niese is a nice prospect but I doubt hes ready, if he starts the year in the rotation its only because they couldnt sign anybody else. So I'll take the reds options.

I would say the mets have a solid rotation with santana and some young guys. They might be a little better then the reds but I would say its pretty close. If you gave me the option of having the mets or the reds rotation I think I would stick with the reds. Santana is tempting but if volquez, cueto and bailey develop you could have 3 aces.

Other then Hammels the phils have nothing. Their 2-5 are nothing special at all. That team wins with offense and a bullpen.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I agree that it is close between the Mets,Dodgers and Reds.The Reds have a very good rotation and could end up being the best in 09.Right now the assumptions we have to make to put them 1,2,3 are a more IMO then the other teams on the list.Considering the future I would not trade our rotation for any other teams in the NL.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-21-2008 at 10:30 PM.

we'd look a lot better if the defense behind our staff were better.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    we'd look a lot better if the defense behind our staff were better.
    And you can bank on this happening with Griffey and Dunn gone. If Gonzalez is back in place of Kepp/Hairston at ss, that helps too. And if he's not back, I'd advocate Janish to help the pitching. Hernandez and Hannigan will boost the offense we're used to seeing from the catcher spot, so an offensive downgrade at ss will be easier to take.

I see the Reds rotation (with boost from improved defense) as #3 in the NL behind the Cubs and Dbacks.

Turn Off Ads?