Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Wells

Vernon Wells

Anyone else think the Reds might be inquiring about this centerfielder. Righthand hitter and the type the Reds can put in the middle of the lineup. Word out of Toronto is the Blue Jays might be sold and they might look to trim payroll, especially with A.J. Burnett signing with the Yankees.

So would a packaged deal of Bailey, Dickerson and maybe another prospect for Wells work for both sides? Wells can opt out of his contract in 2010. He has five years remaining on his original deal signed in December of 2006. Of course he would have to waive his no-trade clause and the Blue Jays are responsible for the 25.5 million signing bonus. But it might not be a bad deal for the Reds even if he opts out after the 2010 season.

Wells agreed back in 2006 to a seven-year, $126 million contract extension with the Toronto Blue Jays. Wells' pact, the sixth-largest in baseball history, would give him a $25.5 million signing bonus, no-trade clause and guarantee him the right to opt out of his contract after four years. In addition, he could earn bonuses of $250,000 for MVP, $200,000 for World Series MVP, $150,000 for league championship series MVP and $100,000 for receiving the most votes in his league in All-Star game balloting.
    Last edited by Krusty; 12-17-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vernon Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Anyone else think the Reds might be inquiring about this centerfielder. Righthand hitter and the type the Reds can put in the middle of the lineup. Word out of Toronto is the Blue Jays might be sold and they might look to trim payroll, especially with A.J. Burnett signing with the Yankees.

So would a packaged deal of Bailey, Dickerson and maybe another prospect for Wells work for both sides?

Centrefielder bats leadoff, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm not sure about Wells. He seems to be a rather schizophrenic performer, putting up great numbers one year and abysmal ones the next. He's also rather injury prone and has a HUGE contract. However, he's at least as good as any of the other names we've thrown around and he is, or at least was, a terrific outfielder. Hmmm...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Centrefielder bats leadoff, dude.
    If he is putting out these stats in the leadoff spot, then I hate to see what he would do in the middle of the lineup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4166
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If he is putting out these stats in the leadoff spot, then I hate to see what he would do in the middle of the lineup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4166
    I believe he was referring to the fact that Dusty would bat Babe Ruth in the leadoff spot if he played CF. CF = Leadoff in Dusty's world.

Wells batted 4th for the Jays most of last year as well.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Id rather go after Rios. He had a down year but I think could really produce for us. I'm not opposed to Wells if the price is right though

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Id rather go after Rios. He had a down year but I think could really produce for us. I'm not opposed to Wells if the price is right though
    Yeah I'd much rather have Rios ($$$). Wells contract is a killer for hopes of re-signing some of our current youth prior to them testing FA themselves. If your gonna sign Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Volquez or some combination of them in advance you'd wanna do it well before 2013. Seems a bit prohibitive too me. But if I did deal for him I'd probably rather them take on a package of something like Arroyo and Stubbs plus maybe another 'spect. That way we could send a few dollars back, but this doesn't seem like a situation that you could realistically do that.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think we tend to overvalue our own prospects around here... I don't think a package lead by Bailey could bring us much of anything right now, sadly. I like Vernon Wells a lot, but it'd take too much to pry him away from the Jays IMO

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think we tend to overvalue our own prospects around here... I don't think a package lead by Bailey could bring us much of anything right now, sadly. I like Vernon Wells a lot, but it'd take too much to pry him away from the Jays IMO
    Well too be fair a lot of fans do overvalue their own prospects. However when a team must cut $$$'s they are sort of already backed into a corner and despite their posturing a lesser package is gonna get it done more often than not. People kept saying the deals being tossed about for Holliday wouldn't get it done either but the Rockies didn't get any Cueto's or Bruce's in their package, in fact they didn't even get any Frazier's (IMO) or Alonso's either. And Holliday despite not being a CF or a better defender at all than Wells is still a more valuable player due to his bat.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Over $20M per seaon for a player who hits about a .800 OPS and currently plays CF (but shouldn't be)?

Why would we even pick up this player if he was on waivers?

He's not worth his current contract. Negative trade value.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I don't believe a Bailey led offer nets either Wells or Rios.

I would like the Reds to grab Rios though, I think he would be a great fit.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Both Rios and Wells have lost appeal to me due to the Jays signing them to MASSIVE contracts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Both Rios and Wells have lost appeal to me due to the Jays signing them to MASSIVE contracts.
    Rios is signed though 2014 at about $10.7M per with an option in 2015 at 13.5M. He is going to be 28 on February, so the contract won't tie him up in his late 30's making huge sums.

His offensive numbers were down a bit last year (a bad first half IIRC). However, he has nice power, speed and is a very good defender in RF.

I don't know if he is available, but If I were a GM, I would try and find out what it would take to get him.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I've been wanting Wells in CF for a few years now. I think he makes about 11-13 a year if you subtract the signing bonus. I would offer Bailey, Roenicke, Frazier, and Shaun Cumberland to the Jays for Vernon Wells, Brandon League, and cash (signing bonus).

If and when the Reds sign Willy Taveras you have a lineup that looks like:

Taveras/Dickerson
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Wells
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Hernandez
    A-Gon/Keppinger

No to shabby if you ask me. Think Toronto would go for that?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I've been wanting Wells in CF for a few years now. I think he makes about 11-13 a year if you subtract the signing bonus. I would offer Bailey, Roenicke, Frazier, and Shaun Cumberland to the Jays for Vernon Wells, Brandon League, and cash (signing bonus).

If and when the Reds sign Willy Taveras you have a lineup that looks like:

Taveras/Dickerson
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Wells
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Hernandez
    A-Gon/Keppinger

No to shabby if you ask me. Think Toronto would go for that?
    The signing bonus is paid in lieu of salary over three years, from 2008-2010. He essesntially makes about $10M this season, and $20M+ thereafter. He's owed $117M over the next 6 seasons.

Turn Off Ads?