Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis spars with reporter

Re: Lewis spars with reporter

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Whhooooaaaaaa, that's going a little overboard I think. I don't think it's fair to say that about Dow. I don't even know who the guy is, truthfully. But he was doing nothing more than his job. If Marvin doesn't like being asked tough questions (and IMO, that wasn't even a tough question) he should find another business to make money in.
    All I'm trying to say is that there's probably more to the story than we know. My guess is that it's Marvin's way of trying to defend someone on the team who was criticized in something that Dow wrote. That's only a guess. Just like it's a journalist's right to ask a question, it's Marvin's right to refuse to answer someone's questions.

Just to iterate, I'm not saying the guy deserved to be treated like that. I only want to say that he possibly deserved it, but there's no way any of us can know that.

I don't know how anyone can stand a Marvin Lewis press conference in the first place. He gives some of the most boring responses I've ever seen, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Certainly not defending Lewis here - his sour relations with the media have been documented by other writers as well - but it was Dow who did a story on Who Dey Revolution the other day. My guess is that is what set Lewis off.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

I have little doubt that Marvin is just as frustrated as many of the fans. He has been at the helm while Mike Brown has undercut him and hasn't really allowed for Marvin to have a chance to win. I think the whole team feels the frustration. How could you not. Marvin has to give the same ol' stock answers for everything and I'm sure that its frustrating taking the heat every week. Its a tough situation in Cincinnati for the coaches and the players. The problem is not them, it comes from above. I doubt these changes come anytime soon without some sort of action from the league, which from the NFL's standpoint would be rather undesirable. Its just a tough situation for everyone not named Mike Brown.

On the brink of disaster

I think there is a lack of professionalism on both ends there. The thing about it is Marvin is paid to answer questions and talk to the media whether he wants to or not. Dustin should have let it go when Marvin got upset though. Trying to keep the debate going did nothing. When your job is to interview someone on a regular basis, you can't let your pride get in the way because you need to maintain a professional relationship with that person. Your job is to ask questions and get answers, now Dustin may not be allowed to continue that because of this situation. Marvin is very surly when he talks to the media and that gets frustrating, but Mikey won't get rid of him. Also, Lance went on this rant on his blog about how Marvin doesn't get that he needs the media. Lance is a little off base there, if Marvin was winning, the fans could care less about a stupid spar with the media.

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    Certainly not defending Lewis here - his sour relations with the media have been documented by other writers as well - but it was Dow who did a story on Who Dey Revolution the other day. My guess is that is what set Lewis off.
    Marvin doesn't get to tell Dow what he can or can't write about. WDR is about the only interesting thing about this stupid, moribund franchise right now. Screw Marvin, he's an arrogant, condescending prick who clearly despises the fact that he's expected to deal with fans and the media.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Marvin doesn't get to tell Dow what he can or can't write about. WDR is about the only interesting thing about this stupid, moribund franchise right now. Screw Marvin, he's an arrogant, condescending prick who clearly despises the fact that he's expected to deal with fans and the media.
    dude can we make you the new beat reporter?

lmao i just spit out the water i was drinking

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The media in Cincinnati is so lame. I wish they'd take a page from the NY Post and really go after the Bengals/Reds when they screw around.
    The NY Post is not a role model for good press.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The NY Post is not a role model for good press.
    I know, you're right... I just mean I wish they were more confrontational towards their sports franchises/willing to hold some feet to the flames.

Imagine Lewis having to deal with the media if he coached in New York? He'd end up in a straitjacket.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The thing Daugherty brought up that really annoyed me about it is what a wasted opportunity for the Bengals.

What I really wish is if Chick or C Trent had followed up the argument with,

"So coach, does winning the last three games just cover up what needs to be fixed, or is their some value in gaining momentum for next year."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm no Dustin Dow fan but that question was a far cry from the Chick Ludwig questions and so far as I know he's still in on the press conferences

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    I think there is a lack of professionalism on both ends there. The thing about it is Marvin is paid to answer questions and talk to the media whether he wants to or not. Dustin should have let it go when Marvin got upset though. Trying to keep the debate going did nothing.
    I can see why Dow didn't let it go. Marvin was basically trying to get him fired. I'd say your job is worth fighting for. Marvin makes $3mill/yr and he's got a guaranteed contract to get $6mill more in the next two years and he's picking on Dow who probably has two less zeros on his tax return. Marvin ought to pick on someone his own size. Why try to take away the job of a beat writer in this day and age

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The media in Cincinnati is so lame. I wish they'd take a page from the NY Post and really go after the Bengals/Reds when they screw around.
    Hear! Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm no Dustin Dow fan but that question was a far cry from the Chick Ludwig questions and so far as I know he's still in on the press conferences

Is Ludwig the only DDN reporter on the Bengals beat? I think 2-3 guys handle it withe the Enquirer so that may have something to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can see why Dow didn't let it go. Marvin was basically trying to get him fired.
    Yep. What an absolute coward. Can't defend his own record or that of his boss, so he threatenes to blackball a reporter. Shameful.

Turn Off Ads?