Turn Off Ads?

Thread: According to ORG, Baldelli was misdiagnosed

According to ORG, Baldelli was misdiagnosed

He visited the Cleveland Clinic and they said he doesn't have that disease he was told he had. He has something supposedly less threatening.

Interesting timing on that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: According to ORG, Baldelli was misdiagnosed

I saw this on the Enquirer boards:

fandemad wrote: here is a post on baldelli's condition--

http://www.neurorx.org/article/PIIS1...01530/abstract

alot of stuff presently in trials -- alot of anecdotal evidence not a lot of empiracle data -- a friend is a neurolo gist he sent me the post -- he is skeptical if any treatment will improve his condition in the short term...read it and then tell me you think that we should commit 4 mil 12/17/2008 6:58 PM EST
    hees the info fom the link:
    Treatment of Neuromuscular Channelopathies: Current Concepts and Future Prospects

James C. Cleland†, Robert C. Griggs†

Summary
    Our understanding of the molecular pathogenesis of the neuromuscular ion channelopathies has increased rapidly over the past two decades due to the identification of many of the genes whose mutation causes these diseases. These molecular discoveries have facilitated identification and classification of the hereditary periodic paralyses and the myotonias, and are likely to shed light on acquired ion channelopathies as well. Despite our better understanding of the pathogenesis of these disorders, current treatments are largely empirical and the evidence in favor of specific therapy largely anecdotal. For periodic paralysis, dichlorphenamide—a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor—has been shown in a controlled trial to prevent attacks for many patients with both hypokalemic and hypokalemic periodic paralysis. A second trial, comparing dichlorphenamide with acetazolamide versus placebo, is currently in progress. For myotonia, there is only anecdotal evidence for treatment, but a controlled trial of mexiletine versus placebo is currently being funded by a Food and Drug Administration–orphan products grant and is scheduled to begin in late 2008. In the future, mechanism-based approaches are likely to be developed. For example, exciting advances have already been made in one disorder, myotonic dystrophy-1 (DM-1). In a mouse model of DM-1, a morpholino antisense oligonucleuotide targeting the 3′ splice site of CLCN1 exon 7a repaired the RNA splicing defect by promoting the production of full-length chloride channel transcripts. Abnormal chloride conductance was restored, and myotonia was abolished. Similar strategies hold potential for DM-2. The era of molecularly-based treatments is about to begin.
    Now I'd like to see Baldelli bounce back although, like ChatterRed mentioned, the timing is interesting. My hunch is his agent did his job by taking Baldelli to the Cleveland Clinic to relieve teams concerns about his health. But based on the above info, it appears that any treatments may only be in the experimental phase at this point. So while Baldelli could bounce back it's possible that it maybe more likely to happen after '09. In my book he's now back to just ahead of only Bradley as far as risk.

Baldelli = Potential to see 400+ abs = Uncertain/Iffy
    Bradley = Potential to see 400+ abs = Doubtful

They should get this guy...

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

We can rebuild him. We have Tim Kremchek.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Baldelli has lyme disease. I can guaruntee it. From a sufferer of it I can tell you his symptoms MIMIC mine to a "T".
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I hope everything turns out well for him but I would never want to risk him on my team

Turn Off Ads?