Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sweet and Sour Gatorade

Sweet and Sour Gatorade

There's a great piece on bengals.com at the moment. It confirms that the Bengals have needed to rebuild and that the team is much different from the 2005 team that won the division.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7393

By GEOFF HOBSON
    December 17, 2008

The Bengals may be 17-31-1 since they clinched the 2005 AFC North title in Detroit three years ago Thursday.

They may be 9-23-1 since they went into the last three games of 2006 at 8-5.

They may be 8-20-1 since Cleveland got 51 points in Derek Anderson's first career victory to prevent a Bengals' 2-0 start in 2007.

But since this is the week of another Cleveland game, remember the costliest victory in Bengals history because head coach Marvin Lewis does.

Sept. 17, 2006.

Lewis' confrontation with a reporter, where he told The Cincinnati Enquirer's Dustin Dow he would no longer answer his questions (see Bengals.com video) marred one of his most revealing news conferences during his six-year tenure Wednesday and obscured some major points. He pointed to weak character as the reason the club has been in a death spiral since 2005.

He feels those personalities wouldn't have been tough enough to endure this 2-11-1 season and believes he's got a roster of players better equipped to handle the emotional rigors. Of the 70 players on the active roster and injured reserve, 52 were not here the day they dumped Gatorade on him in Detroit, three years virtually to the day.

" They wouldn't have been able to go through this. We'd have had inner fighting, we'd have had finger-pointing, we'd have had all those things," Lewis said. "And the ironic thing is that if you look at this team, it's so different from that football team, as far as the people. There's none of that left. There's a few guys on offense, but there's really nobody on defense. And that's the amazing thing. You look at three years ago and what a difference the makeup of your football team is. A little bit by design. Again, that's the way it works sometimes. It just happens through injuries and attrition. With unfortunate injuries, we've lost a few guys."

Then he actually made news when he ended up answering Dow's question a few minutes after the exchange, saying a strong finish won't hide what has to be fixed and they need better players as well as coaching.

Lewis also answered a question about possible coaching staff changes with, "I think our guys have really coached their butts off," but didn't elaborate. Then, when he got into the talent debate he said the Bengals have as much talent as anybody in the league

"Talent is spread out evenly across the league, pretty much," Lewis said. "It's what we do as coaches -- because we're responsible for it, too, and I'm responsible for it -- to give players every opportunity to get better.

What that means for the future of the staff is anyone's guess because it won't be answered until Lewis and Bengals president Mike Brown emerge after the season to reveal their plans. What it means about his take on how that roster was put together and if that will be a part of the discussions with Brown remain to be seen. But asked if he feels everyone in the organization is on the same page with him when it comes to resources and players, he said, "Yeah, I am."

As he left the news conference to prepare for the Browns, Lewis also revealed his thoughts on the impact of another game against Cleveland had on that championship team. A game played just two games and nine months after the Wild Card Loss to the Steelers.

The Bengals are 15-28-1 since they eased to a 34-17 win over the other team Paul Brown founded in the stadium named after him on a picturesque Indian Summer Sunday. But back on Sept. 17, 2006, Lewis had a bad feeling.

"Just like the moment they threw the Gatorade on me in Detroit," Lewis recalled. "We've been spinning sideways (since)."

Two key starters, one the glue of the offense and the other a future defensive leader, never played another NFL snap.

On the Browns' second play of the game, a second-and-12, running back Reuben Droughns ripped off a 10-yard gain and SAM linebacker David Pollack lowered his head and ended up breaking his neck and ending his career. Pollack, the club's charismatic and passionate No. 1 pick in 2005, was supposed to be the third-down playmaker teamed with fellow Georgia product Robert Geathers.

Later, early in the second quarter on a second-and-15 from the Bengals 21, center Rich Braham, the eyes and ears of the offensive line, broke his knee on a two-yard Rudi Johnson run and didn't take the field again until his retirement ceremony.

And Lewis knows the next sequence cold.

With the Bengals winning, 34-10, with 2:07 left and facing a third-and-seven from the Bengals 48, quarterback Carson Palmer threw a pass to wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco and Browns safety Brian Russell laid him out with a hellacious hit that cut his chin, knocked him silly, and put the ball in the air for a Leigh Bodden interception that led to a Cleveland touchdown with 58 seconds left.

"We got ready for an onside kick and put the hands team in there and they kicked it deep. Tab (Perry), instead of getting on it and running forward and falling down, didn't field it cleanly. He tried to run sideways and dislocated his hip," Lewis said.

Perry, who broke the Bengals' single-season kick return records as a rookie in '05, had also been groomed as an indispensible hybrid third receiver/H-Back. But he was done for the year, never really got healthy again, and would play just two more games before the Bengals chose not to re-sign him after last season.

"Costly," is how Lewis recalled that victory.

He also wonders if the interception has had some lingering effect on Ocho Cinco.

"Brat asked me, 'What do you want to do here?'" recalled Lewis of his third-down conversation with offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski. "The week before we sat on the ball in Kansas City and all the players were upset with me. I said, 'Pick up the first down,' and that's when we threw the ball to Chad and he got hit."

He sees that game as a turning point, as well as the title clincher the year before. The Gatorade celebration in Detroit might as well have been cold water.

"We knew they really weren't strong pillars, I would say. I knew they weren't strong pillars, at least," Lewis said of his team makeup in the news conference. "I can remember talking to Jon Kitna about it, because he was taken aback by my reaction, and I just said, 'I've been there before, and I know what's ahead.' I thought -- although we had some accomplishments -- we weren't screwed down the way we needed to be screwed down."

Indeed, a few days after the clincher at a news conference unveiling the team's five Pro Bowlers, Lewis went ballistic when he saw AFC North champion hats and T-shirts displayed and directed them packed away.

"That hat had nothing to do with this," Lewis said that day. "That's over with."

On Wednesday he said what he's been saying all year. That he's more comfortable with the guys in this locker room.

"I think we're building some of (the pillars), and some of them we're kind of moving along to the wayside, and they're moving themselves, too," Lewis said. "I think that's a good thing, because I think the way the guys are here and competing -- some of them we still have to get shaped the right way, and I'm going to keep working at that. But I do feel good about a lot of the guys and I guess just their -- I don't know what the right word is to use in this setting -- just what they have inside of them, you know?"

But what amounted to Lewis' benediction for next season got lost in his tiff with Dow that included his advice to The Enquirer to send another reporter to cover the team because he didn't like the angles Dow had pursued the past few weeks. He objected to, " If you guys finish this out winning three in a row, or even two of three, how much will it show that improvement has been made, versus covering up improvements that still need to be made?"

Lewis called that "disrespectful," while Dow argued that he was simply asking questions his readers and Bengals fans wanted to know.

In the end, the news conference not only indicated the long season has eaten away at Lewis' patience, but that he has also gained a healthy respect of the past.

And he wishes not to repeat it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sweet and Sour Gatorade

Okay, so they've replaced guys with weak character with guys with strong character. The guys with the strong character still began the season with one win in the first thirteen games. Are we supposed to be impressed?

Eighteen years of excuses is eighteen years too many. Yes, they've had some tough injuries, but so have all NFL teams. The difference is that the legitimate franchises plug the hole and keep on winning, while the Bengals use it as justification to be a league doormat for the next five seasons.

I take it from the article that we're supposed to be optimistic about 2009? Sorry, I'm not buying. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me eighteen times...

Re: Sweet and Sour Gatorade

There is no leadership on this team anywhere, which makes the releasing of Willie Anderson all the more damaging. He was the only one on the team that had any true leadership capabilities when it comes to this group of clowns.

I think it's funny that Marvin said that group in 05 wouldn't be able to handle the losing. Apparently this group doesn't mind it? They handle it better? Chad has finally shut up, but solely in hopes that he'll be on his way out of town this year, TJ knows he's not coming back to this dreck of a team, and Willie's got to be laughing.

Marvin and the front office are completely responsible for the weak character of this team. If he had just once stepped up and stopped the BS that Chad does with the penalties early on, it would have changed significantly. If he would have stood up to the idiots that continually miss tackles, blow assignments, run wrong routes, etc. there would be a different tone to this organization. Does anyone out there honestly believe that the crap this team pulls would be tolerated by a Parcells-type led team? Alan Cutler was talking about it the other morning, there is no leadership on the team to come up and threaten to tear someone a new one when the get the stupid 15 yard penalties this team consistently gets.

There is 0 hope for this franchise, and I continually wonder why I still care at all. Perhaps this is what it's like to be a Cubs fan in October? Stupid drafting, bad player signings, horrible offensive playcalling, and general "suckitude" is what we have to look forward to for 2009 and the foreseeable future.

Welcome to the team Beanie Wells, I'm sure we'll see you next year as our top 5 pick...

Turn Off Ads?