Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport Management

Re: Sport Management

I graduated last fall with a degree in Sport Business and now I work for a professional soccer team in Los Angeles (Chivas USA). I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. The Sport industry is tough to break into, it is a "glamour" industry so there are many applicants for every position.

My advice would be: make sure that you have a passion for working in sports. If you are just a fan, this is not the job for you. You can make a lot more money and work a lot less hours outside of sports. For instance, a typical work day for me is 8am - 6:30/7pm, but a gameday will be roughly 8am - 11:30pm.

Also, if you do have the desire to work in sports there will be a position for you. You should be flexible and be able to move around a lot. Remember there is generally only a handful of teams/agencies within a city, rather than thousands of other businesses.

Go to as many conferences/job fairs/seminars as you possibly can and get to know as many industry professionals as you can

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of those people are the ones hiring for teams, leagues, etc.. et al.

As a point of clarification, I was a sports communications major, not not sports management.
    Oh, I didn't know you were a sports communications major. In fact, I'm not sure I realized there was such a major. In my experience, you are right, a lot of the PR jobs in sports do go to the journalism and communication majors. I know quite a few sport management majors who have been successful though at starting out in the PR field with smaller organizations like D3 college athletic departments or the minor professional sports rather than the big-time schools or the big-time pro sports...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

What would be a good double major with Sports Management? (i'm assuming Sports Administration is the same thing as SM?) Marketing? All advice is appreciated.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Business or Finance would always be good depending on what you are looking to do. But don't be set against starting in sales. it might be the most difficult/least rewarding work, but it is generally the easiest way into sports world and every position can benefit from some sales training.

I would also look into a Spanish minor or double major. I know that I live in an extreme situation in LA and working for Chivas, but if I was more fluent in Spanish I could easily double my revenue instead of relying on others.

Where are you going for undergrad? what do you want to do?

Turn Off Ads?