Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just maybe, Nancy Zimpher was right about AK!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just maybe, Nancy Zimpher was right about AK!

Mississippi's Andy Kennedy arrested in Cincinnati

1 hour ago

CINCINNATI (AP) — Mississippi men's basketball coach Andy Kennedy has been arrested in Cincinnati after a cab driver complained that the coach punched him and shouted racial slurs.

A pretrial hearing has been set for Jan. 16.

Kennedy's lawyer entered a written plea of not guilty in Hamilton County Municipal Court on Thursday. He said Kennedy emphatically denies the allegations.

The complaint filed in Municipal Court alleges that Kennedy assaulted Mohammed Ould Jiddou and "punched victim with a closed fist while shouting racial slurs."

The coach was arrested early Thursday.

Kennedy is in Cincinnati for his school's game in the SEC/Big East invitational Thursday night against No. 9 Louisville.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Re: Just maybe, Nancy Zimpher was right about AK!

Way to blow your big time coaching gig, Andy.

I'm hearing rumors that the cabbie made this up. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Until proven guilty, the only thing Andy Kennedy did was put on a bad example to his players about staying out late the night before a game.

Here's the official paperwork, for inquiring minds...

http://www.clarionledger.com/assets/...1246441218.PDF

Guilty until proven innocent, the new American way.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Guilty until proven innocent, the new American way.
    I wouldn't say that's new.

This isn't a court of law. No one is owed a presumption of innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This isn't a court of law. No one is owed a presumption of innocence.
    Nor should anyone without any prior incident be presumed guilty. From what I heard, AK didn't want the UC job. It had nothing to do with AK's character, which from what I observed is pretty outstanding. The tact and dignity with which he handled a tough situation at UC while being head coach was admirable.

Do I think AK is innocent, I don't know. I do know that people lie, and I don't know anything about that cab driver. I really find it hard to believe that AK would put himself in a position to lose his job. The owner of The Lodge already said reports of him and the other guy getting kicked out were untrue.

I would say being at a known college bar the night before a game is "putting himself in a position to lose his job". That's not something people with high character are known to do.

Many things can happen at a bar. Few, if any, of them are good for the career. Whether AK punched the guy or not, and the arrest report states there was at least one independent witness, he clearly had a lapse in judgement and put himself in a precarious position. Not to mention the hypocrisy he showed by going. If this is an Ole Miss player...that kid would have been suspended immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I would say being at a known college bar the night before a game is "putting himself in a position to lose his job". That's not something people with high character are known to do.

Many things can happen at a bar. Few, if any, of them are good for the career. Whether AK punched the guy or not, and the arrest report states there was at least one independent witness, he clearly had a lapse in judgement and put himself in a precarious position. Not to mention the hypocrisy he showed by going. If this is an Ole Miss player...that kid would have been suspended immediately.
    100% agree. There's no excuse to be at that bar at that time on the night before a game. The times I've been to that bar I don't know if there's been anyone over the age of 25 there. I'm not against the guy having a good time and a drink but there are dozens of other establishments in that area that would be more appropriate...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Since everybody digs mugshots...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Since everybody digs mugshots...

I've never seen a bigger forehead-to-ear ratio in my life. That's spectacular.

And the other side of the story...

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/...71764/12376746

The Ole Miss side of the story

The details of what led to Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy's arrest early Thursday remain unclear and disputed. But a source who was with Kennedy told CBSSports.com "nobody hit the cab driver" and that he's certain Kennedy will be cleared of all charges.

Here's the Ole Miss side of the story:

According to the source, the coaching staff had a team meeting, finished film and then went out for dinner and drinks Wednesday night in Cincinnati, where Kennedy used to coach. The party was a mixture of Ole Miss coaches, officials and some of Kennedy's friends from Cincinnati, and when it was time to go, the five coaches -- Kennedy and assistants Michael White, Owen Miller, Torrey Ward and Bill Armstrong -- jumped in a cab to take them back to the Marriott across the river in Kentucky.

Kennedy was in the front seat.

The four assistants were in the back.

According to the source, after driving "maybe a tenth of a mile" the cab driver realized there were five people in the car, and he told the coaches that he could not take five passengers. So he stopped, at which point Kennedy and his assistants jumped in another cab, one with a driver willing to take five passengers. At that point, the source said, the first cab driver pulled up beside the second cab driver and started yelling at the second driver "in a foreign language," and then the second cab driver turned to the coaches and asked if they owed the first cab driver money.

The coaches said they did not owe anybody anything because the first driver refused to transport them. Then, according to the source, assistant Torrey Ward, who is black, told the driver to stop talking to the other driver and to get them back to their hotel.

"And then the cab driver turned around and said "Shut the f-ck up, n-gger," the source said. "That's when things got heated."

According to the source, the coaches and cab driver did exchange words, "but nobody hit the driver." The source added that Kennedy and his assistants tried to get out of the cab, but that the driver locked the doors and got on his cell phone, "and we think that's when he called the cops." Eventually, the source said, the driver unlocked the doors and let the coaches out. They then got in a third cab and traveled about a half-mile before the cops pulled the cab over and approached the car.

"The cops said, 'Coach Kennedy, we need you to get out of the car," the source said. "They told him he was under arrest for assault."

According to the source, Armstrong came to the defense of Kennedy, started telling the police "this is bullsh-t" and that Kennedy didn't do anything wrong. That's when Armstrong was arrested, and then White, Miller and Ward waited at the police station for Kennedy and Armstrong to be released.

Also worth noting: There have been reports that Armstrong was kicked out of the Lodge Bar, which preceded the coaches getting in the first cab, but according to the source, that is "100 percent not true." Alex Moller, the general manager of the Lodge Bar, supports that claim. He told the Clarion Ledger newspaper in Mississippi: "The reports that they were kicked out are untrue. They were here, but they left on good terms. As for what happened after they left the bar, I don't know. But there was no incident here."

Does he look busted up to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

Does he look busted up to you?

I think he needs Jackie Chiles for an attorney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?