Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surprise player of the year

Cruisin' for trouble

Surprise player of the year

Who is your pick for Surprise Player of the Year from the current Reds roster? Someone whose performance will far outshine what expectations are placed on them this year.

Also, who do you think will be the disappointment of the year?

My nominees are:
    Surprise player of the year: Ruben Mateo (won't start regularly, but will still come up with 15 homers)
    Disappointment of the year: Jimmy Haynes (less than .500 season, at least 12 losses)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Surprise - Jason LaRue, .275, 22 HR, solid BB totals, best kill rate in baseball.

Disappointment - Ryan Dempster, something's been wrong with the guy for a year and it eventually might require surgery to fix it.

Surprise- Brandon Larson, .285 BA, 28HR, 78RBI, and he won't be in the starting lineup everyday until the middle of May.

Disappointment- Danny Graves, 10-13 record, 4.65 ERA, will start out hot, and then will start fading in May.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Pleasant surprise of the year? Oh, what the heck, let's get some folks riled up...

Barry Larkin.

Surprise player(s) of the year: Dempster and Graves who turn out to be the #1 and #2 we have been searching for.

Disappointment of the year: Adam Dunn, hitting only 48 HRs, 130 RBI's, with a BA of .334.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I like your definition of disappointing, creek!

Surprise will be a rejuvinated and healthy Sean Casey. I'll predict a .310-.320 BA, 20-25 HR's, and 85 RBI's. Disappointment will be the "Danny Graves as a starter" experiment. As Red Leader said, you'll get about five good starts out of him, but by the All-Star break, Graves will be back in the bullpen with trade value around the Juan Castro level.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think the suprise will be Jose Acevedo in the starting rotation and the disappointment will be the cathers, unless Corkey Miller becomes the platooning counterpart to Jason Larue.

I just cannot bring myself to choose a Disappointing player of the year.....I think the 2003 Reds are going to pull a 1999 Reds BIG TIME and everybody will be wondering how they are doing it (mirrors and all).

Baseball goes in cycles, and to me, a TON of talent has been laying dormant for over 3 years now and is going to bust out all at once because of the new ballyard.

The only fear I have is that some big deal regular is going to suffer a season ending injury....like a broken bone or a blown out elbow (for a pitcher). M2 may be right, and it may be Demspter. This would be the most damning place to lose a player for the year, from the rotation.

But I just cannot think about it right now. Here is my list of players who are going to bust out to their potential (and I know many of you already think I am nuts, but here goes anyway):

1. Aaron Boone: is going to be one of the best lead off hitters in baseball. He is going to hit over .300 and have a near .400 OBP with around 20 HR's.

2. Brandon Larson: is going to win the 2B job in ST and hit 30 HR's.

3. Felipe Lopez: is going to win the SS job in ST and will hit 20 HR's and strike out less than 100 times.

4. Sean Casey: traded

5. Ruben Mateo: is going to make Casey expendable in ST and will hit 25 HR's and hit .305 while playing LF.

6. Adam Dunn: wins the league MVP playing 1B. If I printed the numbers I am guessing I would be banned for being looney tunes...so I will just say that he wins the MVP.

7. Austin Kearns: will make the All-Star team as a RF. He will he hitting .356 with 18 HR's at the All-Star break.

8. Jason LaRue: .285, yada, yada, yada.

9. JR: will compete with Dunn for MVP.

10. Graves: will make the All-Star team as a starter.

11. Dempster: should make the All-Star team but won't because too many Reds will.

12. Haynes: 18-10

13. Rietsma: 14-7

14. Williamson: will make the All-Star team as a closer.

15. Bullpen: Williamson, Rielding, and Hudson get labeled Nasty Boys II.

I just cannot bring myself to choose a Disappointing player of the year.....
    Up is down

Black is white

Hillary is leaving Bill for Clarence Thomas.

Someone call RILA and let him know Fox has his login.

OMG. R-i-l is making me look pessimistic.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

This has to be bizarro thread or something! Just kidding, welcome to the other side R-I-L. You are now far more optimistic than me, and close to everyone on the board.

Anyways, to the question:

Surprising: In order to call someone 'surprising', I need to have unreasonably high or low expectations of them. Thus, I am hoping this will be Larkin, as if he posts a .360+ OBP our offense will be that much better.

Disappointing: Again, same criteria. My vote goes to Aaron Boone. I just don't like his ML growth curve thus far. He regressed last year and still hasn't shown great plate discipline and strikes out way too much. If he is going to hit at the top of the order, he needs to stop striking out, get on base more, hit the ball to the right side to advance runners, etc. As in, he needs to make several adjustments and I don't know if they are forthcoming.

red is expecting a big year from the Reds, and I think I am starting to feel the same way. Somebody better design a 2003 version of the idiotmobile. This may just be another magical year. I like your enthusiasm red!

Who else but Juan Castro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The really positive thing is that nobody played over their head last year - save Haynes. And a lot of guys played under.

However, I believe Kearns will scuffle at some point leading to some premature doubts about his ceiling. But Casey will come back with solid numbers.

Turn Off Ads?