14 17.50%
  • Other (please explain)

8 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choose two outfielders for the Reds

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Choose two outfielders for the Reds

Hermida/Rivera although I wouldn't be opposed to a Baldelli/Dickerson platoon if the medical reports looked favorably upon Baldelli. I also like M2's Young/Hermida possibility if I thought Delmon could lose the attitude that seems to plague his reputation.

Taveras is at best a bench option IMO. Bradley's inability to stay on a NL field scare me (health). Dye, Wigginton and Burrell I could live with under the right circumstances, I don't want any LF for more than 2 years and preferably only 1. Wiggy is a decent 3B option but for the contract he wants I don't think he's a fit, his defense down at 3B is decent but I seem to recall his arm being only adequate.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Baldelli & Wiggington

I like Wigginton's flexibility if some of the Reds minor league guys arrive sooner than expected.

Other: The Line

--------------------
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I went with Bradley and Young. Lots of talent and the possibility for a lot of entertainment!

Not really undestanding the love for a guy that can't stay on the field for nine innings. (Baldelli)

If you read the other thread on Rocco it's pretty clear that he wasn't misdiagnosed, they simply expanded the diagnosis and they still haven't figured out a cure. This isn't the AL, we don't have the DH and a player has to both hit and field.

As I said in the other thread, it would sure suck if ya' woke up on Opening Day to the reality that both your SS and your CF are going to be useless the rest of the year.

Rem

Hermida, Wiggington and Baldelli. You get some solid batting, flexibility and a little defense. Dickerson and Baldelli (and even Bruce) can split time in CF, Wiggington can play OF or 3B and Hermida can roam LF. No matter what, you get better offense and a much deeper bench.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Hermida, Wiggington and Baldelli.
    I'd actually be pretty damn skippy if the Reds acquired just one of them, let alone all 3 of them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'd actually be pretty damn skippy if the Reds acquired just one of them, let alone all 3 of them.
    Word.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I want Manny and Milty! Cincinnati is ready for that dynamic duo, I'm telling you!

BAM! Kick it up a notch!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I'm trying to be realistic here. In my dream world, the Reds would get an elite CF that could hit and field, and a LF that could play defense and hit cleanup.

Not going to happen realistically. I picked Young for his offensive upside and Tavaras because unless I am mistaken, he's the only CF on the list. I'd prefer an "other" CF but I am too lazy to figure out a scenerio now.

I'm really surpised at all the love that Heredia is getting, considering he is coming off an 323 OBP season. That's almost as bad a Tavaras, and isn't Heredia a corner OF? Heredia is only two years younger than Tavaras also.
    I figured Heredia would get very few votes.

Edit: I guess Baldalli is a CF too, but I am weary of his health too. I don't think he's a good fit for the NL.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 12-19-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Delmon Young and Rocco Baldelli.

Baldelli would be a perfect platoon partner for Dickerson. Young has the most upside of any of the options. Also, where's Alex Rios?
    Go BLUE!!!

Why is Abreu not on the list? I choose him and Bradley or just leave Dickerson in center and get just one of them.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm trying to be realistic here. In my dream world, the Reds would get an elite CF that could hit and field, and a LF that could play defense and hit cleanup.

Not going to happen realistically. I picked Young for his offensive upside and Tavaras because unless I am mistaken, he's the only CF on the list. I'd prefer an "other" CF but I am too lazy to figure out a scenerio now.

I'm really surpised at all the love that Heredia is getting, considering he is coming off an 323 OBP season. That's almost as bad a Tavaras, and isn't Heredia a corner OF? Heredia is only two years younger than Tavaras also.
    I figured Heredia would get very few votes.

Edit: I guess Baldalli is a CF too, but I am weary of his health too. I don't think he's a good fit for the NL.
    Felix? :
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Looks like Taveras is the Ron Paul of this primary.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I'm gonna try and be realistic with my picks:

First, like others have stated, I want Hermida for LF. He's got lots of upside and projects well. I think he'd be ok defensively in LF.

Second, I voted "other" for Gabe Kapler. He's a good defender, and crushes lefties. He'd make a great platoon partner for Chris Dickerson...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?