• Jermaine Dye

14 17.50%
  • Other (please explain)

8 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choose two outfielders for the Reds

Re: Choose two outfielders for the Reds

Since wer're being realistic, I see both Dye and Taveras in the Reds outfield next season.

Taveras---If the Reds were willing to pay Patterson 3 to 4 million for one year's service, what makes you think they won't do the same for Taveras? Taveras will be a one year stopgap in center till Drew Stubbs is ready.

Dye---I think the White Sox want another prospect along with Homer Bailey for Dye. The question is what Uncle Walt is willing to give up to the liking of Kenny Williams? Dye would be another stopgap and there is no longterm commitment in money.

So come Opening Day, I could see an outfield of Bruce, Taveras and Dye.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Delmon Young and Rocco Baldelli.

Baldelli would be a perfect platoon partner for Dickerson. Young has the most upside of any of the options. Also, where's Alex Rios?
    I tried to limit the poll to names that have either been recently rumored in talks with the Reds (Dye, Hermida, Baldelli, Burrell, Rivera, Taveras, Bradley, Wigginton) or at least said to be on the market for the right price (Young). I haven't seen any of either for Rios. Anyway, he's also a strong possibility for poll answer #10 - other.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Looks like Rocco and Hermida so far, with Young a close third. Yes, RedsZone seems to like upside--and the excitement of the unknown over the solidity of the known.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Felix? :
    Sorry, I get names confused sometimes.. Hermida
    I actually looked up the right guy though.

I just wonder though. Similiar profile to Wily T. Two years younger, but in his 3 full seasons, had only one good OBP season.

Is it because more of his OBP is walk driven? Is that why people like him so much? Do people have more hope someone can raise their batting average as opposed to their walk rate? Or do people think the 2 years younger gives him more hope? I am just wondering why he is so attractive, especially since he's a corner OF.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Adam Dunn.

Alex Rios.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Adam Dunn.

Alex Rios.
    Again, neither have been remotely close to rumored to the Reds, which is why they weren't included. I do like them, but I just don't see either happening.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Looks like Rocco and Hermida so far, with Young a close third. Yes, RedsZone seems to like upside--and the excitement of the unknown over the solidity of the known.
    The problem is that the only thing known about "the known" is that they probably aren't enough.

I rather not go into the season knowing 100% that the team will suck. At least the younger, upside guys will provide upside and potentially bring value down the road.

The team needs more than a Wiggington to provide the needed punch for the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'd rather not go into the season knowing 100% that the team will suck.
    Truer words were never spoken.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sorry, I get names confused sometimes.. Hermida
    I actually looked up the right guy though.

I just wonder though. Similiar profile to Wily T. Two years younger, but in his 3 full seasons, had only one good OBP season.

Is it because more of his OBP is walk driven? Is that why people like him so much? Do people have more hope someone can raise their batting average as opposed to their walk rate? Or do people think the 2 years younger gives him more hope? I am just wondering why he is so attractive, especially since he's a corner OF.
    Hermida has a .100 advantage in slugging, .027 advantage in IsoD and a 31 point OPS+ advantage all while being younger than Willy Taveras.

I wonder what would happen if Walt actually signed Baldelli and traded for Hermida. Would this site explode?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I wonder what would happen if Walt actually signed Baldelli and traded for Hermida. Would this site explode?
    I could live with that.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Went with Baldelli and Young. Roll the dice. But roll it toward youth with upside.
    Likewise. For some strange reason I really like the idea of a Baldelli/Dickerson platoon in CF. Young gives you options, especially once Alonso is ready to take over at 1B.
    Go BLUE!!!

Someone would mention that they should have targeted Dunn and a 5,000 post, 50-page "argument" against the Anti-Dunnites would ensue.

Somewhere, somehow, someone might mention the two moves that were actually completed by Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Hermida has a .100 advantage in slugging, .027 advantage in IsoD and a 31 point OPS+ advantage all while being younger than Willy Taveras.
    The increased power is a fair advantage. However, will Hermida hit well enough for a corner OF? That is my concern. Bruce only OPS about 770 last season. I hope that improves, but putting two young, potentially offensively challenged corner OF in the lineup next year isn't going to help the anemic offense.

At SS, CF, C it's easier to accept an OBP challenged guy.

But thanks for explaining your reasoning. I appreciate the feedback, as I was puzzled why Heredia was such an overwhleming favorite.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Walt would be hated on Redszone for not giving folks a legitimate reason to be angry at him.

“And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?