Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox out of Teixeira running

Red Sox out of Teixeira running

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Boston Red Sox owner John W. Henry came out of a meeting Thursday night with free agent Mark Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, all but declaring that Boston was out of the running for the switch-hitting first baseman.

“We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him,” Henry wrote in an e-mail. “After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor.”

It was a stunning turnabout after it appeared the Red Sox had become the leaders in the chase for the 28-year-old slugger. Henry, CEO Larry Lucchino and general manager Theo Epstein traveled to Dallas for the meeting.

The Red Sox had an eight-year offer on the table in excess of $160 million. Sources close to the negotiations said it was less than the $184 million reported by Boston WCVB sportscaster Mike Lynch, who first reported that the meeting would take place. Boras is seeking a 10-year, $200 million deal, but a Red Sox executive said earlier that would be “ridiculous.”

The Los Angeles Angels, Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals also have made offers to Teixeira, but to date none of those offers are believed to be for more than eight years. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman also met with Teixeira earlier this month, but that was before the Yankees committed more than $240 million to sign pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, so it appears unlikely they would make a grab for Teixeira as well.

Boras also represents free-agent catcher Jason Varitek, the Red Sox captain who declined an offer of salary arbitration from the team. Boston has not made another offer to Varitek since, though the sides continue to talk. A third Boras client, free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe, also is of interest to the Red Sox, but they have not made him an offer and are expected to do so only if he drops his price. Lowe is believed to be seeking a five-year deal in the $75 million range.

Teixeira, who turns 29 on April 11, has averaged more than 30 home runs and 100 RBIs in his six big-league seasons, while posting a .919 OPS and playing Gold Glove-caliber defense. The Red Sox envision him as a middle-of-the-lineup presence to offset last July’s departure of Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers. If Teixeira signs with the Red Sox, they would move All-Star Kevin Youkilis from first to third base while looking to trade third baseman Mike Lowell, the 2007 World Series MVP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox out of Teixeira running

watch the Red Sox sign Dunn

Boston Red Sox owner John W. Henry came out of a meeting Thursday night with free agent Mark Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, all but declaring that Boston was out of the running for the switch-hitting first baseman.

“We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him,” Henry wrote in an e-mail. “After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor.”

It was a stunning turnabout after it appeared the Red Sox had become the leaders in the chase for the 28-year-old slugger. Henry, CEO Larry Lucchino and general manager Theo Epstein traveled to Dallas for the meeting.

The Red Sox had an eight-year offer on the table in excess of $160 million. Sources close to the negotiations said it was less than the $184 million reported by Boston WCVB sportscaster Mike Lynch, who first reported that the meeting would take place. Boras is seeking a 10-year, $200 million deal, but a Red Sox executive said earlier that would be “ridiculous.”
    Boston's front office would later be heard singing "we're gonna' party like it's 2003".
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I hope the Yanks get him them. No one is going to give him 10 years though. I could see the Yanks giving him a deal much like CC's.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    That would be hard for me to take. Very hard. I could deal with anyone else signing him except for the Cubs or the Red Sox.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

An LA writer was just on ESPN news, he thinks the Angels upped their offer.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the Red Sox signing Dunn, I can't see where they'd play him.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    An LA writer was just on ESPN news, he thinks the Angels upped their offer.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the Red Sox signing Dunn, I can't see where they'd play him.
    that's true. They don't have room for him unless they trade someone. I would be glad to take Bay or Drew away from them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    that's true. They don't have room for him unless they trade someone. I would be glad to take Bay or Drew away from them though.
    Now, there's a surprise, I'm not used to running into people who don't think Drew is semi-worthless.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm hoping he goes to the O's. There's some excellent minor league talent pretty close to emerging there, so he could anchor a real renaissance in Baltimore.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    They would have to move Dunn to first.

But he doesn't want to play first. Oh, maybe that was just for the Reds.

The Red Sox seem to take 1st base defense pretty seriously compared to a lot of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    I actually think Dunn would be a good fit for the Rays. The Sox might do it though, if they think that Ortiz won't be 100% healthy.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Boras is going to end up screwing Big Tex out of a lot of money

This announcement reeks to me of the Sox calling Boras' bluff. The Sox know they have the top offer and that Boras is trying to get them to bid against an imaginary offer. It's been his MO for years. Teix is Boras' biggest fish since A-Rod and we all know how that played out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?