Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop the abuse!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Stop the abuse!

There is widespread abuse going on and it must stop. What is being abused? The apostrophe. This poor little punctuation mark has been abused more than any other, always being put in places it doesn't belong. Stopping the abuse really isn't that hard either. Here are three simple ways you can do your part.

1. The apostrophe doesn't make things plural. More than one apple is apples, not apple's. I have several DVDs at home, not DVD's.

2. If something is a plural and you need to make it possessive, the apostrophe is quite adequate for the job without an additional s thrown in. I have seen the Jones' new car, not the Jones's new car.

3. Know which words are contractions and which ones aren't. It's appropriate to put the apostrophe in its right place.

Now how hard is that? Three simple steps to stop the abuse of the apostrophe. We all have to do our part.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stop the abuse!

Feel better?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Feel better?
    Yes. I had to get it out of my system.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Man, I'm with you, ORH. My neighborhood's civic league newsletter reads "Happy Holiday's." Misplaced apostrophes give me little panic attacks.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Here is a one of the paid advertisers from the Web site for my son's baseball league:

http://slyb.org/index.cfm/SportDVD's.html

I know the guy and the poor SOB even has business cards to match this logo....I have never had the heart to break it to him.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

You guy's are crazy!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Thank's for the head's up.

Quotation mark promiscuity bothers me more. On our buses in SF there's a sign that says, "Warning". Who are they quoting? Some dumbass bus safety guy?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Here's something else . . .

If we're talking about the ABCs, we don't need an apostrophe. If we're talking about the 1970s, it's shortened to '70s, not 70's.

Also, if you're typing something formal, very rarely is it appropriate to use contractions, aside from obvious exceptions (i.e. Mr.). I feel better knowing that someone else has a similar passion for the apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Quotation mark promiscuity bothers me more. On our buses in SF there's a sign that says, "Warning". Who are they quoting? Some dumbass bus safety guy?
    That's another good one. Whenever I see out-of-place quotation marks, like on a restaurant menu ($5.99 Special "Today"), I always think, "Hmm, I wonder who said that?"
    -Air Supply

Mr. is an abbreviation, not a contraction but you're right in that contractions (like can't, don't, won't) generally should be avoided in such situations (as, from I understand, passive voice like I just used)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Here's something else . . .

If we're talking about the ABCs, we don't need an apostrophe. If we're talking about the 1970s, it's shortened to '70s, not 70's.

Also, if you're typing something formal, very rarely is it appropriate to use contractions, aside from obvious exceptions (i.e. Mr.). I feel better knowing that someone else has a similar passion for the apostrophe.

Seems like about once a year, I paste a link to this site on here. This thread is crying out for it.

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000605.html
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

And sometimes you get lucky and find both problems:

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

-Air Supply

I'll be on the lookout for this abuse while getting supplie's for Christmas.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

You are soooo lucky that you used the right form of "it's" in item #3. The razzing would have been brutal.

If only this information would put an end to midwesterners constant appending of the apostrophe-s to store names. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard people there mention their patronage of Wal-Mart's or Kroger's, I would be in a higher tax bracket.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?